Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 04:59 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow 2019 Acura RDX

All-new Acura RDX Prototype Teased Ahead of Detroit World Debut - Acura News

All-new Acura RDX Prototype Teased Ahead of Detroit World Debut

Dec 20, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Teaser video highlights sleeker, more evocative exterior styling and a completely new interior design of perennial top-seller
  • Most extensive Acura redesign in more than a decade
  • Best performing, most premium RDX ever to debut January 15 at 11:05 a.m. EST at North American International Auto Show
  • Reveal to be Live Streamed through Acura social media channels Facebook.com/Acura, YouTube.com/Acura and Twitter.com/Acura
The 3rd-generation Acura RDX Prototype will make its world debut at the 2018 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) on January 15 at 11:05 a.m. EST. Representing the most extensive Acura redesign in more than a decade, the new RDX is the 1st in a new generation of Acura products inspired by "Precision Crafted Performance" and signals the beginning of a new era for the luxury automaker.

Designed and developed for the first time in America, the new RDX will be built on a new, Acura-exclusive platform and incorporates key design elements of 2 recent concepts – the Acura Precision Concept and Acura Precision Cockpit. The exterior styling adapts the low, wide and sleek presence of the Precision Concept to an SUV, and features strong character lines that run along the entire profile of the vehicle. From the Precision Cockpit, the 3rd-generation RDX features an all-new interior design, user interface and operating system designed from a clean sheet.

The Acura RDX is a perennial best-seller in the premium-entry SUV segment, which is on pace to unseat entry-premium sedans as the highest volume segment of the luxury market. The RDX has recorded 5 consecutive years of record sales and 7 straight years of year-over-year sales growth1.

For More Information
Consumer information is available at
http://www.acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit http://www.facebook.com/acura. Additional media information including high-resolution photography is available at acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance, representing the original values of the Acura brand – a commitment to evocative styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability.

The Acura lineup features 6 distinctive models – the RLX premium, luxury sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, the 7-passenger Acura MDX, America's all-time best-selling 3-row luxury SUV and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar as a new and pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance.

Old 12-21-17, 06:47 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As much as I would love for this to be true and show some investment and development for the Acura brand, I'm still not quite sure how much weight to be on the claims of an "Acura-exclusive platform." Obviously can't tell too much from this dark teaser, but I think it'd be tough for them to not use the CR-V platform.
Old 12-21-17, 08:20 AM
Noble8626
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
As much as I would love for this to be true and show some investment and development for the Acura brand, I'm still not quite sure how much weight to be on the claims of an "Acura-exclusive platform." Obviously can't tell too much from this dark teaser, but I think it'd be tough for them to not use the CR-V platform.
I believe this is an Acura Press Release rather than rumor or speculation so it should be safe to say this is definitely going to be an Acura exclusive platform. Looks like Acura is trying to distance themselves from their Honda roots with this new generation of vehicles to start with the RDX and considering the RDX is one of their top-selling models they must have figured they could justify the R&D costs for making an exclusive platform.

Here's the teaser video that shows off a bit more details of the upcoming RDX. (Sorry, don't know how to format it so the video is embedded >.<)
Old 12-21-17, 09:55 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
It may be an Acura-exclusive platform until the next Honda is released on this platform. Didn't Acura say the same thing about the current MDX when it was introduced? It was on an Acura-exclusive platform until the Honda Pilot was introduced later.

Doing some checking, I see that Acura introduced a China-only CDX compact crossover in 2016, that shares the Honda Civic / CR-V platform. The CDX may find its way to North America. That would leave room for the RDX to move up to a larger size.

Perhaps the next RDX will be larger, as a mid-size, 2-row crossover and the new CDX will come in as the compact crossover.
Old 12-21-17, 10:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

A third generation, very nice. Should be interesting to see the NSX interior cues. Pretty funny that the original 2007 RDX pioneered and bucked the trend of naturally aspirated engines and used a turbo 4 before switching to a 3.5L V6. Here's to hoping they choose a 2.0T vs the puny 1.5T in Honda's arsenal.
Old 12-21-17, 11:14 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Noble8626
I believe this is an Acura Press Release rather than rumor or speculation so it should be safe to say this is definitely going to be an Acura exclusive platform. Looks like Acura is trying to distance themselves from their Honda roots with this new generation of vehicles to start with the RDX and considering the RDX is one of their top-selling models they must have figured they could justify the R&D costs for making an exclusive platform.
I understand it's a press release, but I've been in the industry for many years. I just question the stretching of the phrase "exclusive" especially when Honda folks a year ago were telling me that now that there's a new CR-V, you know the RDX won't be far behind.

As Sulu notes above, it very well is Acura exclusive... until the next Honda product rolls out. Just like the Acura exclusive e-shifter and on and on and on. Honda is notorious for not keeping a strong wall between the brands in terms of feature availability etc, hence the very blurred lines between the two. Whereas Lexus typically gets a little more exclusivity over Toyota for a long period of time. Look at how long it took for Toyota brand vehicles to get an 8-speed automatic!

Anyways back to RDX. Yes, it's one of their core vehicles, and I look forward to when Acura can re-assert itself through great products.
Old 12-21-17, 01:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

ACura exclusive platform.. Haha. What does that even mean?
Modular Platforms baby, with some tweaks for each marque.

Predictions:
New beak
Based on the newly redesigned CRV platform
SH-AWD instead of neutered CRV awd
Turbo 4 (back again)
I assume a really horizontally elongated single screen setup like the hondas but with acura badging Touchscreen
Seats from the top level CRV (those babies look nice)
unfinished wood
almost NX like C pillar but look at the 18 CRV same swoosh
LEDS galore in the back, Single row LEDS in the front. FOgs optional
10 speed Honda transmission
Drive modes
LCD instrument panel
Full Honda sense/Acura sense packages
360 camera
Maybe a 7 seat option (huge maybe)
Old 12-21-17, 02:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

there's no longer a beak.

All the other shapes were taken, so they settled for an ugly pentagon.

Mazda has one of the better looking gape grilles, and could pass for an acura if you put an acura emblem on it.
Old 12-21-17, 02:33 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Acura Precision Concept:

Sorry, the beak is gone.

Acura Precision Cockpit:

No touchscreen.
Old 12-21-17, 02:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Acura is on pace to sell 50k RDX this year so it's critical to them. My guess is they'll do it right and the new gen will be successful.
Old 12-21-17, 04:20 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The CR-V is already pretty nice, so an RDX upgrade to the 2 liter turbo motor and 10 speed auto would make a nice small SUV. SH-AWD and a nice interior would make it a winner. It really doesn't need its own platform.
Steve
Old 12-21-17, 06:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Acura Precision Concept:

Sorry, the beak is gone.

Acura Precision Cockpit:

No touchscreen.
Tomato tomatoe new beak or upside down beak hahah
If they go with the knockoff audi mmi current gen smh. WTF. Im sure theyre gonna be introducing carplay and aauto, and gosh help them if their clean sheet design requires a touchpad to interface. Whoever thinks this is a great idea....needs to stop using uber and sit in the front seat once and a while. Its great to have a touchpad on a stationary object not on the go. But hey Precision engineering right
Old 12-21-17, 07:36 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been released it China since last year.

Old 12-21-17, 09:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Acura Precision Concept:

Sorry, the beak is gone.

Acura Precision Cockpit:

No touchscreen.
Not sure the point of your post. You’re sorry the beak has gone?You think no touch screen is good or not?
Old 12-21-17, 09:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Actually, the beak is not gone. It's just become larger, thicker, and two-tone LOL.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX