Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where have all the big personal-luxury coupes gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think the s class coupe is anything like the 70 behemoths from the past.

I have to at least partially disagree. As you note, its not an exact successor, but, by today's standards, The S-class coupe is probably the closest thing, still on the market, to what the old Cadillac Eldorado, Lincoln Mark series, and the two-door early-80s Chrysler Imperial presented. But man, what a price.....I simply wouldn't spend that much on a car.

It's the same relationship with my Lacrosse. No, it's not exactly like my old Electra....but, again by today's standards, probably the closest thing to it still on the American market with a Buick nameplate, though the CT6 and Continental can compete in other ways.
Old 12-23-17, 09:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I do to some extent....otherwise I probably wouldn't have started the thread. First, of course, after the 1970s, for the most part, they were downsized and ceased to be true behemoths. But.....it is true that they lacked the space-efficiency that their sedans and wagon equivalents did, and were built to do little more than simply relax and feed one's ego while floating down the road on ultra-soft underpinnings, in isolation, like a cocoon. The sense of isolation was even more pronounced in the back seat, where you had big massive C-pillars blocking your vision out, with small circular or oval-shaped opera windows at best. In fact, at the time, Volvo used to make hay of that in their TV and magazine ads.

As impressive as that ad is, that car was a dud, as was most Volvos that had a 6 in the 2nd digit. PRV comes to mind, and I had two of them lol Thank goodness that as a college student driving these 15 y.o. cars, I made friends with the owner of a salvage yard. He fixed my B27F to the point where I drove it 8 years (for a total of $900)....
Old 12-23-17, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Like anything else, they fell out of fashion. Impractical, huge, expensive, poor quality. Buyers simply moved on from that style of vehicle.
Old 12-23-17, 10:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Down the road, the cars that we admire and drive today will be in the same situation.
Old 12-23-17, 11:49 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I personally love the boat tail Rivera. The rivera kept the long hood short tail through 85. I would buy another in a heartbeat if my wife would let me.
Old 12-23-17, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitabel
The Riviera shown is a 1971, louvers in the trunk give it away. The 1972 is almost identical but smooth.
The 1973/74 look somewhat similar but the styling is more conventional - the dealers complained that the 1972 was too weird, so they changed to a flat bumper, etc.
In 1973, the new 5-MPH bumper regs forced the disappearance of the relatively thin chrome strips and instituted real bumpers.

Why no more? Because the kids and your parents have to get into the back seat. "Only single men drive 2 door coupes" was famous.
I'm not sure that's completely relevant. Most of the Baby Boomers who grew up with these cars are Empty-Nesters now....parents have died off, and the kids are long gone.
Old 12-23-17, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Down the road, the cars that we admire and drive today will be in the same situation.
Originally Posted by LexBob2

This sums up my thoughts on the old 2 door coupes too. I enjoy seeing them at cruise ins, museums etc. but don't miss them at all (and I'm old enough to have owned, driven and admired them back in the day). My tastes and interests have changed and they are just a somewhat pleasant memory now.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
Like anything else, they fell out of fashion. Impractical, huge, expensive, poor quality. Buyers simply moved on from that style of vehicle.
Buyers have indeed moved on. Nobody is missing those body on frame GMC Envoys or Ford Expolwrs from the past. They now have better and more comfortable and easier to live with cross overs. Those behemoths are nothing to the new gen of car buyers

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-23-17 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Buyers have indeed moved on. Nobody is missing those body on frame GMC Envoys or Ford Expolwrs from the past.
Well, for one thing, the Envoy XUV turned out to be a real dud. There were significant structural problems with the trick roll-back roof, which was designed to let owners carry upright refrigerators and other tall objects.

Old 12-23-17, 12:41 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Buyers have indeed moved on. Nobody is missing those body on frame GMC Envoys or Ford Expolwrs from the past. They now have better and more comfortable and easier to live with cross overs. Those behemoths are nothing to the new gen of car buyers
That's why the resale value on the explorer sport trac's are so high. Even ones with over 150,000 miles sell for too much money. There's plenty of people who aren't over it.
Old 12-23-17, 12:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coleroad
That's why the resale value on the explorer sport trac's are so high. Even ones with over 150,000 miles sell for too much money. There's plenty of people who aren't over it.
Absolute nonsense. We are talking about new vehicles. Show me high resale for a stock BOF Explorer at 150K from the 00s.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-23-17 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 12:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

It's the same relationship with my Lacrosse.
If your Buick LaCrosse was available in 2 door coupe would you have purchased it?
Old 12-23-17, 12:59 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Absolute nonsense. We are talking about new vehicles. Show me high resale for a stock BOF Exploer at 150K from the 00s
Really, how is it nonsense? If nobody cared about that type of vehicle, they would be had for next to nothing. Some vehicles are so hated they have no resale like the ford probe. You said nobody gives a rats - about vehicles like the explorer, now that's poppycock. There's other factors that have killed frame on suv's, cars than purely popularity. Small over lap crash protection, fuel economy, ride height, progression doesn't mean nobody still likes that style.
Old 12-23-17, 01:03 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Lol Jill, the BOF Explorers from 1995-2010 were Midsize SUVs, the 2011-current Explorer is now considered a full size crossover.

4th Gen BOF Explorer:
113.7 in wheelbase
193.4 in L
73.7 in W
71.9 in H

5th Gen Unibody Explorer:
112.6 in wheelbase
197.1 in L
78.9 in W
70.4 in H

The 'Behemoths' that you are thinking of are the Expedition and the now extinct Excursion.
Old 12-23-17, 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Really, how is it nonsense? If nobody cared about that type of vehicle, they would be had for next to nothing. Some vehicles are so hated they have no resale like the ford probe. You said nobody gives a rats - about vehicles like the explorer, now that's poppycock. There's other factors that have killed frame on suv's, cars than purely popularity. Small over lap crash protection, fuel economy, ride height, progression doesn't mean nobody still likes that style.
If these mode size body on frame vehicles were still in demand, Ford would still make them. And despite the extreme competition among cross overs Only Toyota is offering a body on frame design. A 15 year old For Exploer body on frame model is hardly tearing up the used car market. They are worth about $2500 (looked up at KBB). Are we really going to say they are in demand?
Old 12-23-17, 01:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lol Jill, the BOF Explorers from 1995-2010 were Midsize SUVs, the 2011-current Explorer is now considered a full size crossover.

4th Gen BOF Explorer:
113.7 in wheelbase
193.4 in L
73.7 in W
71.9 in H

5th Gen Unibody Explorer:
112.6 in wheelbase
197.1 in L
78.9 in W
70.4 in H

The 'Behemoths' that you are thinking of are the Expedition and the now extinct Excursion.
My behemoth comments was meant to refer to the 70s barges. Not the Explorer that is obviously a mode size. I was doing some editing.

Quick Reply: Where have all the big personal-luxury coupes gone?