Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where have all the big personal-luxury coupes gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 02:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This thread is trying to answer a question no one is asking. These cars died, as they should have. Times have changed, needs have changed, technology has changed, and safety has progressed. The changeover happened decades ago and is complete. This is more of a reminiscing thread, which seems to come up from time to time with a focus on American cars of yore. There's nothing wrong with that of course.
Old 12-23-17, 02:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This thread is trying to answer a question no one is asking. These cars died, as they should have. Times have changed, needs have changed, technology has changed, and safety has progressed. The changeover happened decades ago and is complete. This is more of a reminiscing thread, which seems to come up from time to time with a focus on American cars of yore. There's nothing wrong with that of course.
I completely agree. And those who were pining over these cars back in the 70s are either dead or very old at this point in their lifespan. I doubt many young car buyers are interested.Their is nothing wrong to reminisce.
Old 12-23-17, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. There's nothing wrong with that of course.
I will say that with the with the current climate. We are seeing a rebirth of 80s car marketing or options if that is the world. We had lots of turbos now. Brands are emphasizing lifestyle more and more compared to just the car. I think it is an exciting time for new car buyers
Old 12-23-17, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Really, how is it nonsense? If nobody cared about that type of vehicle, they would be had for next to nothing. Some vehicles are so hated they have no resale like the ford probe. You said nobody gives a rats - about vehicles like the explorer, now that's poppycock. There's other factors that have killed frame on suv's, cars than purely popularity. Small over lap crash protection, fuel economy, ride height, progression doesn't mean nobody still likes that style.

Good point, Coleroad. Remember my friend I talked about, who lives in Maryland, who has that 1979 Smokey-and-the-Bandit (Black/Gold) Trans-Am? They also have an Explorer Sport-Trac in the family that they bought new, in the early 2000s....they love it. Been a good vehicle, with minimal problems, though starting to age some.
Old 12-23-17, 03:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

There is still demand for old BOF Explorers. A lot of people buy them to modify them for off-road use, etc.

Sure the values aren’t huge, but if you compare them with other similar original price cars from the same era, they are worth more.
Old 12-23-17, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If your Buick LaCrosse was available in 2 door coupe would you have purchased it?

Somewhat of a loaded question, since, if it had been marketed as a coupe, it would probably have been under the Riviera nameplate, not Lacrosse. But, yes, I would have at least considered one, provided that it had the same ride comfort, suspension, and tires as the 18" Lacrosse, and they didn't try and sport it up too much like coupes tend to do. I tend to like the space efficiency of sedans and wagons, but I'd have no problem with a large coupe, since I drive alone most of the time and don't have pets. That's one reason why I liked the large Thunderbirds and Rivieras of the 60s and 70s.......sport looks, nice soft sedan ride.
Old 12-23-17, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
There is still demand for old BOF Explorers. A lot of people buy them to modify them for off-road use, etc.
Though not Mountain-goats in the sense of a Jeep Wrangler or Land Rover Defender, actually, they came from the factory itself with a fair amount of off-road capability. The platform, of course, came from the Ford Ranger pickup.
Old 12-23-17, 03:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sure the values aren’t huge, but if you compare them with other similar original price cars from the same era, they are worth more.
Not enough demand out there to keep the design going. These BOF vehicles are outdated. People buying new cars have vastly different uses than those who buy an old one and then fixing it up. Only Toyota (I think) is still making BOF mid size models. KIA even made an effort with their Boreggo that did not last long.
Old 12-23-17, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not enough demand out there to keep the design going. These BOF vehicles are outdated. People buying new cars have vastly different uses than those who buy an old one and then fixing it up. Only Toyota (I think) is still making BOF mid size models. KIA even made an effort with their Boreggo that did not last long.
I agree, the market has overall moved on from BOF SUVs outside of full sized towing vehicles.
Old 12-23-17, 03:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, the market has overall moved on from BOF SUVs outside of full sized towing vehicles.
And Ford in 02 removed the live axle which is part of the whole point of a BOF model. They went with a IRS and I think part of the drive shaft went though a hole in the frame (I could be wrong). The big large SUVs still are BOF, but I think Range Rover, GL MB, are better vehicles than a BOF. I strongly believe the next Sequoia will go unibody with something sold from Lexus. It's the only way to move forward. Perhaps we will still see a BOF 4Runner and Land Cruiser for the next gen Trucks won't change. But a Ridgine is a vastly superior vehicle to the new Tacoma. But Tacoma has better marketing and branding.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-23-17 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That is, of course, except for the smallish Jeep Wrangler. Its ongoing popularity continues, even as a BOF vehicle. Jeep has already announced that the next-generation will continue as a BOF, not switch to unibody. One good advance, though, is that the Wrangler will finally get the full-time 4WD/AWD option that it should have gotten years ago. Up till now, all you could get was the primitive Command-Trac, with its manual transfer-case/low-range and part-time 4WD, which can only be used off-road or in super-slick conditions.
Old 12-23-17, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, if the mods think a thread is repetitious, irrelevant, or unnecessary, they can always close it.
Old 12-23-17, 03:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if the mods think a thread is repetitious, irrelevant, or unnecessary, they can always close it.
I don't exactly always agree that it has to go back to talking about large coupes from the 70s. We all are now having a pretty good discussion about cars in general. Sometimes the best discussions show up when we go off topic I guess that there is not much to really say about these large coupes as we have kinda changed the topic.
Old 12-23-17, 03:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Somewhat of a loaded question, since, if it had been marketed as a coupe, it would probably have been under the Riviera nameplate, not Lacrosse.
Being just old enough to remember that era of vehicles, I know that they had a lot of character and of course lots of individual style. Naturally they are nostalgia and collectors items these days. My co-worker back in the day got himself a 1969 Gran Prix 428HO SJ. Whoa, now that was a car. It's no wonder that I ended up with a 1972 J with the 400, and my brother was persuaded by me to get himself a 1972 SJ 455. I would call them more muscle cars with a personal luxury touch.

Speaking of Riviera, that was one of GM's last personal luxury coupes was it not? And of course, Lincoln's MKVIII was a beautiful offering, if somewhat troublesome for owners. Today's vehicles of course, offer way more on every level so there's never going to be a need for that type of vehicle, other than as a status statement. And these tend to be GT's.
Old 12-23-17, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Being just old enough to remember that era of vehicles, I know that they had a lot of character and of course lots of individual style. Naturally they are nostalgia and collectors items these days. My co-worker back in the day got himself a 1969 Gran Prix 428HO SJ. Whoa, now that was a car. It's no wonder that I ended up with a 1972 J with the 400, and my brother was persuaded by me to get himself a 1972 SJ 455. I would call them more muscle cars with a personal luxury touch.
Yeah, I was in high school when that car came out.....just learning to drive. I got to test-drive a new Grand-Prix as a teen-ager, but, though I remember the car quite well, and its general road-manners, I don't remember much about the circumstances of the test-drive, or how I was able to. I DO remember that, like many Pontiacs, it was a little more stiffly-sprung than the typical Thunderbirds and Rivieras of the day, and cornered with a little less fuss, though still not uncomfortable in the ride-department. And, it had the typical (for the era) Swiss-Watch attention of GM products to detail and fit/finish, which, IMO, was far superior to the other companies, especially the sloppily-built and over-plasticized Chryslers.

Speaking of Riviera, that was one of GM's last personal luxury coupes was it not?
Close...not quite. The 8Gen Riviera (whose looks I wasn't impressed with) was in production from 1995-1999. A concept came out in 2007, but was never done, at least in the American market. However, the 10Gen Cadillac Eldorado lasted until 2002.

Quick Reply: Where have all the big personal-luxury coupes gone?