Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus RC300 Fsport or Infiniti Q60 3.0t

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 07:03 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are awesome i have forgotten how helpful this forum was! So im a bit suprised to see so many people on a lexus forun recommend infiniti but thats why i love this place. To be honest i was leaning more towards the Q60 myself. I checked out the Kia Stinger but i just do not lile the look at all. The MB c300 coupe however rwally caught my eye. Its a bit more expensive and a 4L T compared to the 6L T on the Q60 do you guys think its worth it?
Old 01-05-18, 07:41 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with the earlier suggestion to look at the Kia Stinger GT before you sign for either an RC or a Q. One of our most respected members, here on Car Chat, just picked up a new Stinger....and loves it. In fact, he traded an RC-F for it.
Can you explain this nonsenses?
Old 01-05-18, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
Can you explain this nonsenses?

First of all, it's anything but nonsense. Second, yes, I can (easily) explain it. Third, out of respect for the person involved (who is also a moderator), I'll let him explain most of it himself. But, in a nutshell, I'll tell you this: it gets back to what I've said for a number of years now.....Kia doesn't build junk. Whoever still believes that is living WAY in the past.
Old 01-05-18, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MashinA
To be honest i was leaning more towards the Q60 myself.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned color yet, but, on the Q60 the Silverish (Hagane) blue and Gold (Solar) Mica paint-options are very nice......but the Solar costs $500 extra. It's hard to find that silver/blue nowadays, and I think that is a really attractive color (though hard for a body-shop to match when re-painting). You can also get some nice reddish-burgundy leather seats inside on some versions.

Another thing on the Q60....it's up to you, but, if possible, I'd forego the Direct Adaptive (steer-by-wire) steering option....same advice I give people on the Q50. While the decision, of course, is up to them, personally, I'm very uncomfortable with a system like that, even though there is (supposedly) an instant mechanical back-up in case of electrical or system failure. If you like the system, the way it steers, and have faith it it, fine......but I'm a little leery myself.
Old 01-06-18, 08:04 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The DAS works great (again 4.5 years on the road and 63K miles)

No it does not feel as good as my NSX steering

It is more of a psychological barrier to get over

I have the Hagane blue, nice color, a bit different than most silver blues
Old 01-06-18, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The DAS works great (again 4.5 years on the road and 63K miles)
Did you ever have the system fail and the emergency manual hook-up activate?

No it does not feel as good as my NSX steering
That's not surprising....electrons, by nature, are just not going to have the same tactile-effect as a good hydraulic PS unit, though there are some engineering tricks that can be used to at least partly overcome that.

It is more of a psychological barrier to get over
Perhaps so. I simply did not feel comfortable or safe with the system when I did my Q50 review, some time ago.......so I deliberately chose a sample without it.

I have the Hagane blue, nice color, a bit different than most silver blues
On the images and web-site, it looked silvery-blue, but unlike you, I haven't seen it in person. I might (?) briefly stop at at a nearby Infiniti shop and take a look at the color, if they have any in stock.
Old 01-06-18, 09:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The DAS really robbed the joy of driving for me on the Q50. I had a G35 coupe and loved that thing for 11 years. Was set on getting the Q50 until my G35 broke and was at the dealer for 5 days. I had a fully loaded Q50S with DAS as a loaner and drove a thousand miles in that thing. I test drove the IS shortly thereafter and knew immediately which car was for me. I also got non-DAS Q50 loaners in the past and although it was better, not as good as the BMW or Lexus.

Here is hoping Infiniti ditches the DAS or improves it significantly in the next iteration.
Old 01-06-18, 12:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The MB c300 coupe however rwally caught my eye. Its a bit more expensive and a 4L T compared to the 6L T on the Q60 do you guys think its worth it?
i think the mb c300 coupe is a gorgeous design and every time i see one i smile.

That's not surprising....electrons, by nature, are just not going to have the same tactile-effect as a good hydraulic PS unit, though there are some engineering tricks that can be used to at least partly overcome that.
except the nsx also has electric steering. and electric torque vectoring, etc.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura...-drive-review/
Old 01-06-18, 01:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the mb c300 coupe is a gorgeous design and every time i see one i smile.

except the nsx also has electric steering. and electric torque vectoring, etc.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura...-drive-review/
They shouldn't really call it electric steering as that is usually termed for the current implementation of power steering using electric motors to assist the steering vs. hydraulics. I think Infiniti uses the term steer by wire which seems more appropriate. Seems the NSX version is just as bad
Old 01-06-18, 03:45 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

No failures in the Infiniti DAS

The NSX has electric power steering, not a form of DAS. It does have a brake by wire system, which is surprisingly realistic
Old 01-06-18, 05:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

You guys are awesome i have forgotten how helpful this forum was! So im a bit suprised to see so many people on a lexus forun recommend infiniti but thats why i love this place. To be honest i was leaning more towards the Q60 myself. I checked out the Kia Stinger but i just do not lile the look at all. The MB c300 coupe however rwally caught my eye. Its a bit more expensive and a 4L T compared to the 6L T on the Q60 do you guys think its worth it?
If I were you I would test drive all these cars and also put the BMW 430/440i and Audi A5/S5 on your list.

The 4series just got a refresh and offers the best powertrains out of the group.
The Audi is ALL new and offers the most advanced tech.

The Q60 is not my cup of tea, and is the least versatile as it offers a small back seat and tiny trunk. Even the Q50 trunk is small by sedan standards.
Old 01-07-18, 01:06 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my car after shopping this car class. My final rankings after test driving the vehicles was (in order)

Audi S5
Infiniti Q60 redsport
Mercedes C43 amg
Bmw 440i
Lexus RC350 fsport

The S5 was my favorite to drive and I liked the interior. Q60 was my runner up - imo the most stylish looks of the group. C43 was nice but I don’t trust mercedes reliability. 4 series felt outdated on the inside. RC was nice too - but it’s old engine doesn’t compete with the others in terms of power.
Old 01-07-18, 01:22 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to drive them all and try for similar speeds and roads.

Each aill have things to like and dislike.
Old 01-08-18, 04:25 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
As others have said, the Q60 will outperform the RC300. The difference in acceleration will be huge. The new KIA Stinger GT is a bit cheaper and will easily outperform either the Q60 or RC300. It does have 4 doors, but a sleek fastback roofline mimics coupe styling.
What? The Kia Stigner GT Does NOT out perform the Q60 RS. You mean the Q60 Non Red Sport?
Old 01-08-18, 05:24 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Did you ever have the system fail and the emergency manual hook-up activate?
In the Q50 with DAS, you can simulate a system failure by putting the car in neutral, shutting down the engine, and then re-starting and re-engaging drive. This is all done while the vehicle is in motion and will revert the vehicle instantaneously to the mechanical back-up upon engine shut off.

Once the vehicle is restarted and back under way in drive, the steering wheel icon with an exclamation point illuminates as does the adaptive front lighting system failure warning. At this point in time, the steering wheel feels like the worst non-power steering setup you've ever felt. Incredibly difficult to turn the wheel, even with the vehicle in motion... Feels like there's barely any directional control as it's incredibly unresponsive and is a worst case scenario system. On the positive side, you do not lose control should the vehicle truly encounter a DAS failure and can safely steer to the side of the road (safely does not equal easily).

That said, in the ~36k miles I put on my Q50S, I had a number of issues but never one of those was with DAS. In reference to the 2014-2015 models, I would recommend DAS in the Q50 and would argue that it shouldn't be considered without it as the base steering setup was pretty horrendous, IMO.

Can't speak to the 2016+ models as these utilize revised steering systems for both the base and DAS systems.

Quick Reply: Lexus RC300 Fsport or Infiniti Q60 3.0t