Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus RC300 Fsport or Infiniti Q60 3.0t

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
In the Q50 with DAS, you can simulate a system failure by putting the car in neutral, shutting down the engine, and then re-starting and re-engaging drive. This is all done while the vehicle is in motion and will revert the vehicle instantaneously to the mechanical back-up upon engine shut off.
You have more guts than I do LOL.

Once the vehicle is restarted and back under way in drive, the steering wheel icon with an exclamation point illuminates as does the adaptive front lighting system failure warning. At this point in time, the steering wheel feels like the worst non-power steering setup you've ever felt. Incredibly difficult to turn the wheel, even with the vehicle in motion... Feels like there's barely any directional control as it's incredibly unresponsive and is a worst case scenario system. On the positive side, you do not lose control should the vehicle truly encounter a DAS failure and can safely steer to the side of the road (safely does not equal easily).
I know what that feels like. That's what the old 60s-vintage power steering was like if you lost a fan belt going to the pump....which was a rather common occurrence back then.
Old 01-09-18, 03:55 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
What? The Kia Stigner GT Does NOT out perform the Q60 RS. You mean the Q60 Non Red Sport?
The OP asked about RC300 and Q60 3.0t.
Old 01-09-18, 08:25 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The OP asked about RC300 and Q60 3.0t.
Which is the Engine of the Red Sport. They share the same engine. One tuned to 400 hp one not.
Old 01-09-18, 09:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,702 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Which is the Engine of the Red Sport. They share the same engine. One tuned to 400 hp one not.
The Red Sport also has other upgrades, not only the engine. So, "performance" would undoubtedly be at a higher mark overall compared to the 3.0t Silver Sport. If you're referring to acceleration, the Stinger GT and Q60 Red Sport would be pretty similar, with the Infiniti holding a slight edge according to most tests I've seen. In overall performance I'd expect it to be better, too, thanks to its lower curb weight. With the Silver Sport, it would be closer in terms of handling, but the Stinger would be much quicker in a straight line.

Honestly, the OP's question is an interesting one - it's a question of priorities. To me, I'd say the Q60 provides a great deal of value, especially in terms of performance, but the RC will likely have a nicer level of interior quality and somewhat better dependability. The RC seems like a decent-handling car, but the 300 variant is going to have a lot less power than the Q60 3.0t. Even the 350 will be slower, more than likely. If it were me I'd also consider other options, since neither of these two are ideal - both would probably make me happy though, if it came down to it. (non-helpful answer is non-helpful)
Old 01-09-18, 10:57 AM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
The Red Sport also has other upgrades, not only the engine. So, "performance" would undoubtedly be at a higher mark overall compared to the 3.0t Silver Sport. If you're referring to acceleration, the Stinger GT and Q60 Red Sport would be pretty similar, with the Infiniti holding a slight edge according to most tests I've seen. In overall performance I'd expect it to be better, too, thanks to its lower curb weight. With the Silver Sport, it would be closer in terms of handling, but the Stinger would be much quicker in a straight line.

Honestly, the OP's question is an interesting one - it's a question of priorities. To me, I'd say the Q60 provides a great deal of value, especially in terms of performance, but the RC will likely have a nicer level of interior quality and somewhat better dependability. The RC seems like a decent-handling car, but the 300 variant is going to have a lot less power than the Q60 3.0t. Even the 350 will be slower, more than likely. If it were me I'd also consider other options, since neither of these two are ideal - both would probably make me happy though, if it came down to it. (non-helpful answer is non-helpful)
It has a few but it's really not that different overall other than Rims & Engine. In 2018 the differences are seen a bit more, Quilted Seats, Black Headliner, Red Calipers etc Mainly cosmetic. As I mentioned before the biggest problem with the Q50/60 are the horrible tires. The Kia has a Michelin PS/3 Option at the dealer. Infiniti has crappy dunlop runflats that severely limit the cars potential. Interesting thing with the Silver sport is tunes are putting these cars way past the RS in power. AMS has a Tuned Silver Sport running mid 10's in the quarter mile with a tune and some changes like upgraded heat exchanger, full exhaust etc.

Regarding the RC they need to shave some weight off it, it's nice but it feels very heavy. I like everything about the Lexus Interior except that tiny Navigation.
Old 01-09-18, 11:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

It has a few but it's really not that different overall other than Rims & Engine. In 2018 the differences are seen a bit more, Quilted Seats, Black Headliner, Red Calipers etc Mainly cosmetic. As I mentioned before the biggest problem with the Q50/60 are the horrible tires. The Kia has a Michelin PS/3 Option at the dealer. Infiniti has crappy dunlop runflats that severely limit the cars potential. Interesting thing with the Silver sport is tunes are putting these cars way past the RS in power. AMS has a Tuned Silver Sport running mid 10's in the quarter mile with a tune and some changes like upgraded heat exchanger, full exhaust etc.

Regarding the RC they need to shave some weight off it, it's nice but it feels very heavy. I like everything about the Lexus Interior except that tiny Navigation.
I really hope the RC gets the updated screen in the next year or two. Even the IS has had it since 2017. Given that the RC is more expensive than the IS, it makes no sense for it to have a smaller screen with a nearly identical dashboard to the IS in most aspects.
Old 01-09-18, 12:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I really hope the RC gets the updated screen in the next year or two. Even the IS has had it since 2017. Given that the RC is more expensive than the IS, it makes no sense for it to have a smaller screen with a nearly identical dashboard to the IS in most aspects.
The 2018 RC has the larger screen.

For 2018, Lexus RC V6 models will receive an increase of five horsepower and a bold new exterior color: Flare Yellow for the F SPORT. In addition, the RC 200t (RWD) will now be called the RC 300 (RWD). The 2018 RC models will feature Scout® GPS Link with a three-year trial. For all RC models, a larger navigation 10.3” screen is optional.
http://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus/RC/...xury+power.htm
Old 01-09-18, 12:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm with you. I'd choose another car over these two. Since the Q60 is a coupe and has little room in the back, i'd pick an RS3 over it. It has usable backseat space and would spank the two cars in performance. The price is a little higher but all within $55k. Too many good choices in this segment
Old 01-09-18, 02:28 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm with you. I'd choose another car over these two. Since the Q60 is a coupe and has little room in the back, i'd pick an RS3 over it. It has usable backseat space and would spank the two cars in performance. The price is a little higher but all within $55k. Too many good choices in this segment
I really like the RS3 but when you start adding options you start pushing $70K not to mention Audi has horrible lease options. You'll easily end up paying over 800 a month for an RS3. Obviously he doesn't' care about usable back seats.
Old 01-09-18, 02:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I really like the RS3 but when you start adding options you start pushing $70K not to mention Audi has horrible lease options. You'll easily end up paying over 800 a month for an RS3. Obviously he doesn't' care about usable back seats.
Most of the options are frills though. Id maybe add in tech and dynamic package to make it an even $60k but a base one comes with a lot of options already built in. The other options arent even available for the other two like the ceramic brakes.

Trouble with Audi is that i would have to buy one as the lease rates arent great. Resale is also not great
Old 01-09-18, 02:54 PM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
Most of the options are frills though. Id maybe add in tech and dynamic package to make it an even $60k but a base one comes with a lot of options already built in. The other options arent even available for the other two like the ceramic brakes.

Trouble with Audi is that i would have to buy one as the lease rates arent great. Resale is also not great
You can get the Dynamic Plus Package if you want the Ceramic Brakes. You get that and the Technology Package (Navigation) You're damn near at 70K when you add in the tax. The fact you have to pay for Side Airbags is just stupid. Also the rarity of the car they will not be willing to negotiate very much. I remember looking at an S4 and they were acting like it was a Lamborghini , they treat their S cars like some special event. So the RS3 I imagine is a horrible buying experience unless you're pretty well off and willing to plop down a bunch of cash.
Old 01-09-18, 03:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

You can get the Dynamic Plus Package if you want the Ceramic Brakes. You get that and the Technology Package (Navigation) You're damn near at 70K when you add in the tax. The fact you have to pay for Side Airbags is just stupid. Also the rarity of the car they will not be willing to negotiate very much. I remember looking at an S4 and they were acting like it was a Lamborghini , they treat their S cars like some special event. So the RS3 I imagine is a horrible buying experience unless you're pretty well off and willing to plop down a bunch of cash.
The Dynamic Plus isn't a great deal. You get the fixed suspension which only really helps tracking the car (same with ceramic brakes). If you don't want to track it, then the Dynamic Plus package is a better option and it comes with the magnetorheological dampers which are really nice as a daily commuter. The only other thing you really need is the Tech package...why wouldn't you want the MMI in an Audi...it kinda defines the car now

The S4 in so-cal is very common and you can negotiate pretty good on those. The RS3 is harder...but I hear some dealers are willing to negotiate (but not near invoice). If the OP were looking for performance, hard to beat Audi nowadays.
Old 05-20-18, 03:09 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well thank you all for all the comments and info. Ironically enough i started off looking at the RC and the Q60, but as someone on here gave me the idea to look at other options, I actually ended up with a 2017 C300 coupe with the amg package. It was a dealer loaner with only 10k miles and i got a pretty good deal on it so im happy! Only thing that sucks is the mercedes forums compared to this one. Im gonna miss everyone here

Old 05-20-18, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ congrats!

You don't have to leave. We have plenty of members on here who don't own a Lexus anymore.
Old 05-21-18, 07:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Wow, that C looks sharp. Congrats!

Quick Reply: Lexus RC300 Fsport or Infiniti Q60 3.0t