Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Smoothest riding car you've ever driven . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 03:29 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I can't agree on the S Class AMG remark.

I drove an S65 and it actually rides pretty harsh. It did have the OEM HUGE 20-22" (don't remember the exact diameter but they were at least 20s) wheels and rubber band tires on it so that comes as no surprise. Definitely rode far from as smooth as an LS. I am sure a base model S Class with smaller wheels would be more comparable.

So far from the cars I've owned, my current 04 LS430 with the stock 17s is the smoothest car I've driven, it just soaks up the bumps like nothing else.
I'd say a close second would be my 07 LX470 that I purposely installed the OEM 16's (that came on the 98-02 models) on to run a taller sidewall. I always say that vehicle is like the truck version of the LS, almost as smooth driving but obviously with some truck like characteristics (rear axle is a bit less forgiving than having independent rear suspension).
i've been in S-Classes (non-AMG) and i agree the ride really isn't that buttery soft. keep in mind, the S-Class is designed to make 50 and 150 essentially feel the same (which it does quite well) so it definitely doesn't ride as softly as like a town car or older LS
Old 01-07-18, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i've been in S-Classes (non-AMG) and i agree the ride really isn't that buttery soft. keep in mind, the S-Class is designed to make 50 and 150 essentially feel the same (which it does quite well) so it definitely doesn't ride as softly as like a town car or older LS
The modern S Class rides much more softly than older S Classes.
Old 01-07-18, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Consumer Reports likes the S-class comfort level more than any other sedan they have tested, although the Lexus LS and a few big GM sedans come close.
Old 01-07-18, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its funny, I wouldn't say the S Class rides better than the LS really, what it does do is have a better combination of ride and handling. The S Class rides as well, perhaps slightly better, while feeling much lighter and more nimble.

Like I said before, everything in that segment now rides great and rides very similarly. When you drive one you're like "man this rides incredible", then you get in another and you're like "no, this rides incredible". Then I would get back into my LS and I was like "wow, this rides incredible" lol
Old 01-07-18, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its funny, I wouldn't say the S Class rides better than the LS really, what it does do is have a better combination of ride and handling. The S Class rides as well, perhaps slightly better, while feeling much lighter and more nimble.

Like I said before, everything in that segment now rides great and rides very similarly. When you drive one you're like "man this rides incredible", then you get in another and you're like "no, this rides incredible". Then I would get back into my LS and I was like "wow, this rides incredible" lol
Also, a lot can depend on wheels and tires. I don't know if you have driven the new Lacrosse (we've certainly talked enough about that car LOL)....but there is a noticeable difference between the 18" and 20" wheel versions. The former is more or less traditional Buick (but not quite as floaty)....the latter almost sport-sedan in comparison.
Old 01-07-18, 07:41 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Also, a lot can depend on wheels and tires. I don't know if you have driven the new Lacrosse (we've certainly talked enough about that car LOL)....but there is a noticeable difference between the 18" and 20" wheel versions. The former is more or less traditional Buick (but not quite as floaty)....the latter almost sport-sedan in comparison.
The problem with modern cars, especially expensive car is that they now all use ginormous rotors and calipers so you are limited to the size of the wheel and tire you can run. All of these BMW M cars, Audi RS models, and MB AMG....these days running a 19" wheel is pretty much the lowest you can go, and on some of these, even a 19" wheel the caliper is basically sitting on the barrel of the wheel. That's how tight of a fit it is.

Everyone is trying to push the envelope with performance, so here came the huge engines and huge brakes, with which came the big wheels and small tires. That's why an S Class AMG rides harsher than a base model Camry (in the sense that you feel every minor sharp imperfection in the road).
Old 01-07-18, 08:36 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

is a 2015 considered modern lol

idk man sitting in the back of a W222 S550 my overall impression was that it really wasn't all that floaty, maybe my expectations were too high... i just remember thinking that a town car or something like that has a much more magic carpet like ride. but like i said, the S is meant to be able to cruise all day at 150+ mph so naturally it won't have the american barge wallowyness
Old 01-07-18, 08:47 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

The S Class rides as well, perhaps slightly better, while feeling much lighter and more nimble.
damn i'd probably have to say the opposite, i always thought the LS felt very light (especially for it's weight) to steer and maneuver around and mercedes usually have a heavier more lumbering feel to them. the 2008 S550 i've driven and certainly my E55 very much support that, very heavy feeling cars. even a 2006 E320 has the same heavy, aristocratic feel to it, very nice car to use

years ago a more naive me would've probably said just get a V6 camry since it's like half the price and just as fast and more spacious than the E, but i must concede that there is just a certain feel to a proper benz that just makes you very aware you're in something a bit more special than your "ordinary" car
Old 01-08-18, 01:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting that you would pick what is essentially a decked-out version of a traditional body-on-frame truck. Few, if any, of those were ever noted for a smooth ride. But, since you were the one doing the driving (and evaluating)...I'll take your word for it.

(And, I'll stand at least partly corrected.....recent Dodge Rams, particularly in the 1500 series, have had an exceptionally smooth ride by pickup standards. It's a shame that Chrysler won't do an SUV version of it to compete with Tahoe/Suburbans and Expeditions)
There are a lot of differences between the 2005 Navigator and the 2005 F150, suspension setup is COMPLETELY different. The Navigator is the spiritual successor to the 1960's Continental, its no wonder both place a huge emphasis on ride quality. Compare the 2005 Navigator to the 2005 GM SUV's, the Navigator rides nicer, but it doesn't handle nearly as well as the GM trucks, the turn in/sharpness on the steering, less body roll, just something about the GM trucks made them drive 2 sizes smaller than what they really are. IMO that's the reason GM has dominated Ford in the full size SUV game, the GM trucks just drive/handle a lot nicer. Plus at least up until Ford stuck the 3.5 Ecoboost V6 under the hood, the GM trucks were faster and had much better throttle response.
Old 01-08-18, 01:43 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
Out of 3 vehicles I've owned:

95' LS400: First time driving an LS just does something to your soul. I love driving my 05' but my 95' was still strong, quiet and very smooth @ 258K on the clock. Will always be my #1.
05' LS430: Butter smooth Ride, super quiet, butter seats, and no problem going the distance on trips. Well see how long she can go.
68' Caddy deVille 472: This thing would glide down the road like a Boeing 747,had impressive acceleration and back in the day I could easily fit 6 of my homies in this thing Expensive daily driver though.
1968 is one of my favorite years for Cadillac. First year for the much improved/more powerful/all new 472 V8. Last year for the stacked headlights, but like the 1967, they're canted forward and the car has much more of that Bill Mitchell "coke bottle" styling to it. Main thing is 1968 was the last year for real wood trim until the 90's. The interior on the 68's was much nicer than the redesigned 1969 cars, which had a lot more cheap black plastic and chrome trimmed plastic.

Do you have a picture of your car? What sort of color combo?? Was it a Sedan Deville or a Coupe Deville?? Major style points if it was a convertible in good condition, those were esepecially susceptible to the tin worm. And you are a god if it was an Eldorado, 1968 Eldorado is like car #3 on my win the lottery list after a Sebring silver 1963 Corvette split window coupe and Marty McFly's black 1985 4wd Toyota.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-08-18 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 03:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

damn i'd probably have to say the opposite, i always thought the LS felt very light (especially for it's weight) to steer and maneuver around and mercedes usually have a heavier more lumbering feel to them. the 2008 S550 i've driven and certainly my E55 very much support that, very heavy feeling cars. even a 2006 E320 has the same heavy, aristocratic feel to it, very nice car to use

years ago a more naive me would've probably said just get a V6 camry since it's like half the price and just as fast and more spacious than the E, but i must concede that there is just a certain feel to a proper benz that just makes you very aware you're in something a bit more special than your "ordinary" car
Huge difference between a W221S Class and a W222. I never was impressed with the ride of the W221, but the W222 is a different story. It’s not a “floaty” car like the Town Car, but niether is the LS.
Old 01-08-18, 05:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Drove a 1998 12 cyl S class, at the time I was totally blown away. Belonged to a dad of a girl I was friendly with in Boisbriand, Québec. From memory, this was not the S class in Meet the Parents, it was older than that one..also, as I recall, her car was this Chevy Chevette with RWD and 4 snows and it handled awfully. and she told me her stepdad ripped her off and sold her this POS, what great times those were....
Old 01-08-18, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

idk man sitting in the back of a W222 S550 my overall impression was that it really wasn't all that floaty, maybe my expectations were too high... i just remember thinking that a town car or something like that has a much more magic carpet like ride.
'floaty' may be perceived by you as smooth or 'magic carpet like' but floaty usually means very softly sprung, horrible body roll, and basically very dumb. many find a floaty ride nauseating. conversely, a sophisticated modern luxury flagship suspension is about control and adapting to the situation, providing, little movemen, on smooth roads, large soaking up of bumps on bad roads, and compensating side to side in corners to flatten the car.those nostalgic for old lincolns etc. with awful handling can have 'em.
Old 01-08-18, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'floaty' may be perceived by you as smooth or 'magic carpet like' but floaty usually means very softly sprung, horrible body roll, and basically very dumb. many find a floaty ride nauseating. conversely, a sophisticated modern luxury flagship suspension is about control and adapting to the situation, providing, little movemen, on smooth roads, large soaking up of bumps on bad roads, and compensating side to side in corners to flatten the car.those nostalgic for old lincolns etc. with awful handling can have 'em.

I agree you don't want something that is excessively floaty (60s/70s-vintage large Fords with standard suspension, 90s-vintage Buick LeSabre, and 1Gen Kia Amanti (which probably had the worst body roll of all, without really that smooth of a ride to compensate). But, to a reasonable extent, the more floatness you have, usually the smoother the ride over bumps you will have, especially without electronically-adjustable or damped suspension. And, the way most drivers drive, under most circumstances, ride comfort (including a certain amount of flatness) would take priority over sharp handling.

Interestingly, while I'm on the subject of large 50-year old Fords, the late-60s Continental I earlier mentioned, though smooth and steady as a battleship (and with handling to match LOL), did not seem to have much, if any, of that up/down floatness that gets some people seasick. I think it's because that car was so heavy, with so long a wheelbase, and overhangs so long (long overhangs and heavy weight end to stabilize the car from up/down wheel motion) that it kept a more or less even keel over even the large road heaves that would get many other cars bouncing like a ball.

It should also be noted that the Chrysler products of the period, wth their unibodies, longitudinal front torsion-bars in front and longitudinal leaf-springs in back (the front-drive GM Toronado/Eldorado also used torsion bars up front) handled better and resisted floating more than the softer, body-on-frame, coil-sprung Ford and GM products....but at a cost of somewhat more stiffness over bumps and transmission of road/drivetrain-noise into the cabin. The top-line Chrysler Imperial, for a time, to compensate somewhat, used a body-onframe design, unlike any other American-designed Chrysler product, but, in the late 60s, probably for cost reasons, adopted the unibody like the rest of the lineup.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-08-18 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I agree you don't want something that is excessively floaty (60s/70s-vintage large Fords with standard suspension, 90s-vintage Buick LeSabre, and 1Gen Kia Amanti (which probably had the worst body roll of all, without really that smooth of a ride to compensate). But, to a reasonable extent, the more floatness you have, usually the smoother the ride over bumps you will have, especially without electronically-adjustable or damped suspension. And, the way most drivers drive, under most circumstances, ride comfort (including a certain amount of flatness) would take priority over sharp handling.
rather moot now in that floaty suspensions went away a long time ago.

Quick Reply: Smoothest riding car you've ever driven . . .