Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

get gsf or wait for next gs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 07:49 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Default get gsf or wait for next gs?

Hey Guys, let me get your thoughts here, I'm a big GS type of guy, had an 08, 13, currently a 15, and plan on getting a GSF or new body GS in a year or two if they still exist. I go back and forth, I like my current Fsport now, as it allows me to drive sporty when I want to but also drive in snow since I live in the Northeast. I really really want to get into the GSF soon, I love the idea of 469hp and the overall style, but on the flip side, I would need to get a winter beater or truck or really good snow tires for the car.

Then I also thought about, if the next generation GS comes out in a year or two, it should have the turbo engine, guessing a tuned down version in the LS500, would some of you actually wait to see and get this car, supposedly more coupe like (I read like CLS) and spend a couple thousand on tuning that engine to maybe get another 60-70hp out of it? It would be nice to have a luxury GS with more power under the hood vs a track car that you really can't drive in winter without a good proper setup. I guess I want the best of both worlds.

I go back and forth - just looking for some opinions if it were you and you were looking at GS's.
Old 01-05-18, 07:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As far as "tuning" it, I notice you live in NJ. From what I understand, that state, like CA, has some pretty strict emissions tests. It might not pass if you fiddle too much with what the engineers have programmed.
Old 01-05-18, 09:51 AM
Noble8626
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in a similar position myself. I have a local dealer trying to sell a GS-F to me and it's quite tempting with the current offers and the way it drives/sounds but given the styling direction and driving dynamics Lexus has gone with the LC/LS 500's, it makes me want to wait to see what they have in store with the new GS.

The LS500's factory powertrain paper specs nearly match the GS-F's 0-60 time (yes, I'm aware that some journalists have not been able to match the LS500 0-60 times in real world tests so take that with a grain of salt). Given that, you're still getting more usable torque at a much lower rpm. If they use a slightly detuned version of the LS500 TTV6, and with less weight, I have no reason to believe the new GS TTV6 won't be as quick or near as quick as the current GS-F from 0-60 and that's plenty of power for me for a non-F car. This is all my own personal speculation and wishful thinking but given the direction Lexus is going I don't think it's unfathomable.
Old 01-05-18, 10:02 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Noble8626
I'm in a similar position myself. I have a local dealer trying to sell a GS-F to me and it's quite tempting with the current offers and the way it drives/sounds but given the styling direction and driving dynamics Lexus has gone with the LC/LS 500's, it makes me want to wait to see what they have in store with the new GS.

The LS500's factory powertrain paper specs nearly match the GS-F's 0-60 time (yes, I'm aware that some journalists have not been able to match the LS500 0-60 times in real world tests so take that with a grain of salt). Given that, you're still getting more usable torque at a much lower rpm. If they use a slightly detuned version of the LS500 TTV6, and with less weight, I have no reason to believe the new GS TTV6 won't be as quick or near as quick as the current GS-F from 0-60 and that's plenty of power for me for a non-F car. This is all my own personal speculation and wishful thinking but given the direction Lexus is going I don't think it's unfathomable.
my thoughts exactly....F car would be special but if the newer body has almost same power or near it, it makes me hesitate on pulling trigger on GS-F now.
Old 01-05-18, 10:04 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikedozz
my thoughts exactly....F car would be special but if the newer body has almost same power or near it, it makes me hesitate on pulling trigger on GS-F now.
to clarify, close 0-60 Time, I can't see the new GS being over 400hp unless the next GSF is at 550hp
Old 01-05-18, 10:06 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

You could always venture away and try something new until the 5GS debuts. The Stinger GT AWD are nice.
Old 01-05-18, 11:01 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by yardie876
You could always venture away and try something new until the 5GS debuts. The Stinger GT AWD are nice.
hahaa, that's another option lol
Old 01-05-18, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
to clarify, close 0-60 Time, I can't see the new GS being over 400hp unless the next GSF is at 550hp
Rumors have pegged the 5GS F to have a 4.0L TTV8 with 550hp and a 600hp version in a LC F. We'll see if it comes to fruition.
Old 01-05-18, 11:19 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

If you want the last of the V8 sedans from Lexus I say go for the GS-F other than that I would wait to see what the upcoming options are.
Old 01-06-18, 10:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I think if you can get a great deal on GSF and want to stay with Lexus then get it.
Just put on snow tires and you should be fine.

New GS is at least 2 years away (probably early 2020).
I think the main engine will be a 4cyl turbo and the V6tt will be optional and cost way more.
Tuning Lexus engines is almost impossible due to ECU.

Stinger is a good optiion or the Germans if you want fun AWD sedans.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-06-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 10:15 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think if you can get a great deal on GSF and want to stay with Lexus then get it.

I think the main engine will be a 4cyl turbo and the V6tt will be optional and cost way more.

Stinger is a good optiion or the Germans if you want fun AWD sefans.
thanks, good points, only Lexus for me, but we'll see, my lease is up in March, at that point I'll check the deals on the GSF or finance a preowned one, and when the new one debuts, I'll have a decision to make.
Old 01-06-18, 10:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Stinger is a good optiion or the Germans if you want fun AWD sedans.
Check the NX, 3IS, 4GS, RC forums. There are now tunes available mainly on 2.0T models. There's also one or two for 350 models that can raise the redline etc.
Old 01-06-18, 11:09 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yardie876
Why would anybody downgrade from a Lexus to a Kia LOL.

Sure the Stinger seems to be a good car and good value, but it's still a KIA.
Old 01-06-18, 11:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Check the NX, 3IS, 4GS, RC forums. There are now tunes available mainly on 2.0T models. There's also one or two for 350 models that can raise the redline etc.
Interesting so are the ECUs programmable now? This was never the case before.Even the new BMWs are much harder to tune.
Old 01-06-18, 11:19 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Why would anybody downgrade from a Lexus to a Kia LOL.

Sure the Stinger seems to be a good car and good value, but it's still a KIA.
Someone here traded their RC-F in for a Stinger. I saw nothing wrong with that it's not just any "Kia" it suits what he wants. I guess your logic is same for people that trade in their Audi, BMW or Mercedes for a "Toyota" some consider that a downgrade.

Quick Reply: get gsf or wait for next gs?