Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Subaru AWD is an excellent system. Can't do anything for braking.
True. I might still be driving a Subaru (or something else with AWD) if it wasn't for the fact that I was able to take an early retirement, and don't have to screw around with daily commuting anymore.
Old 01-09-18, 07:57 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Acura's SH-AWD is old news. It was one of the first AWD systems with torque vectoring, I believe preceded only by Nissan GTR. Acura's system is still FWD based with transverse mounted engine. I much prefer RWD based torque vectoring AWD systems from BMW and MB.

That said, Subaru AWD systems are nothing special at all, they are just well marketed and amongst first to even offer AWD on sedans.
Left out Quattro? Else where I mentioned which system performs best at least from our experience between Quattro, 4Matic, Xdrive.
Old 01-09-18, 09:14 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That said, Subaru AWD systems are nothing special at all, they are just well marketed and amongst first to even offer AWD on sedans.
I guess thats why most car magazines call Subaru's AWD the best; I guess Subaru must be bribing them, eh?
Old 01-09-18, 09:35 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
I guess thats why most car magazines call Subaru's AWD the best; I guess Subaru must be bribing them, eh?
I wonder if Och ever looked at the uniqueness of Subaru AWD design? What symmetrical system means?
Old 01-09-18, 09:47 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Outback didn't get the title of official car of the U.S. Ski Team for nothing.
Correct! Subaru gave millions to the US Olympic Committee to be able to make this claim.
Old 01-09-18, 10:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is nothing wrong with Subaru's AWD system - its robust, tried, dependable and inexpensive. It's just not on the same level as modern (and much more expensive) AWD systems with torque vectoring. That said, in 99% of cases the Subaru system will be just as good. Torque vectoring systems only make a big difference in high speed cornering and certain unusual low traction situations.
Old 01-10-18, 05:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I wonder if Och ever looked at the uniqueness of Subaru AWD design? What symmetrical system means?
haha many people seem to get confused with symmetrical and asymmetrical. I can think of this guy who asked me wth I thought was going on with his cable internet, he's paying some massive amount monthly and it's slow as molasses. Asked him to do a speedtest and he got around 280/10. Then he said his phone calls all sound like **** as well. The only thing I can say is we often need to understand what it is we're measuring. If a Toyota Highlander or Honda CR-V has AWD, and cannot pull itself up a ramp, what difference does it make how modern the system is...
Old 01-10-18, 05:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I'd think dedicated summer tires are for performance cars. People who have this type of car usually have 2nd car for winter driving.
In my lifetime, I've only ever met one person who daily drove a car with summer performance tires (C5 Corvette) that swapped it for a winter beater (Olds Cutlass Ciera) on a seasonal basis. Literally every single other person swaps between tires. This includes myself as well as 2 of my 7 employees, and even my parents--though they use summer touring tires, not max performance ones.

And the suggestion that an AWD car will handle fine on snow/ice with summer tires is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. When temperatures drop and snow and ice covers the road, it's as if you had replaced your tires with teflon-coated cue *****, and then greased them. They have so little traction in winter conditions that I literally can't park my car on my driveway with the summers on--it slides right into the street. Even tried parking "parallel" on the apron and it still slid sideways, stopping when the sidewall got stuck in the curb gutter. That's the tradeoff for the obscene levels of grip they provide on warm roads.
Old 01-10-18, 06:17 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It proved a lot. No way would FWD or RWD have a chance to get out.
Ok bud... if you say so
Old 01-10-18, 06:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Correct! Subaru gave millions to the US Olympic Committee to be able to make this claim.
That is how it is usually done.

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Wouldn't call it the best. Definitely a good system. I think all AWD systems from Subaru are not all the same.
Old 01-10-18, 07:31 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Aw man, I guess I won't be relying on any magazines or reviews any more! Back to square one!!

Wouldn't call it the best. Definitely a good system. I think all AWD systems from Subaru are not all the same.
They do use the same drive on all their vehicles, but perhaps the dynamics of each car makes a difference, which is why they may be different?
I know that the Forester is rated #1 (in Canada for sure, not sure about other places) for snow AWD.
I also know that many folks drive their high performance WRX and STI with summer tires, in the snow and do very well. With all that power, I should think they would be deathtraps with summer tires, but NOT.
Old 01-10-18, 07:34 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Aw man! I shall stop relying on magazines forthwith!! Back to square one...
Old 01-10-18, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I have to disagree with that view. Although, yes, it is true that the Olympic Committee can sometimes be bought off (witness the scandals in the city-selection process), the Outback's drivetrain proves itself in snow.....it doesn't have to be pawned off with money or proffers. Believe me....I owned one long enough to know, and a number of my colleagues still own them.
Old 01-10-18, 07:44 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to disagree with that view. Although, yes, it is true that the Olympic Committee can sometimes be bought off (witness the scandals in the city-selection process), the Outback's drivetrain proves itself in snow.....it doesn't have to be pawned off with money or proffers. Believe me....I owned one long enough to know, and a number of my colleagues still own them.
It's called a "Sponsor", so totally legal. I don't know how you're not understanding how it works.
Old 01-10-18, 07:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
It's called a "Sponsor", so totally legal. I don't know how you're not understanding how it works.
McDonald's was once the official food of the Olympic Village. It is pretty amazing that world's best athletes would get as much free McDonald's as they want during the games as their official source of nutrition.

Quick Reply: All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?