Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18 | 02:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You might be in a situation where you would find it very difficult or impossible to get moving from a stop in a RWD car on all season tires in as little as a couple inches of snow, it all depends on the topography of where you are.

Why would I be out? Lots of potential reasons. I have a business where we may need to be able to get to physical locations and property in bad weather, in fact the need to respond to situations such as that is more likely in cold and bad weather. I have a mother who doesn't live with me who may need me, I have a very elderly grandmother, same thing. I have young children, you never know when you may need to go out to the doctor or emergency room, etc. Weather can be unpredictable, I may set out for places or be places when conditions are not bad and they can exponentially deteriorate while I am out or I am away from home that would require me to drive in bad winter conditions. I drive around from location to location during the span of a typical day, that schedule doesn't stop for snow unless its really bad. There are lots of potential reasons, and the confidence to be able to get around in those situations often is more important than the actual ability to get around. Hence why AWD/4WD vehicles have become so popular.

And that begs the question, with a system available to you as a consumer that would give you that confidence and that margin of ability and safety in the snow, why would you not purchase that? Or even if you chose not to, why look down on people who do decide to purchase that?

Theres a reason why the only way I could get a RWD LS460L was to get one from Alabama lol
I've never owned an AWD vehicle and never once got stuck in the snow. Even as a kid in my first car we would wait for snow storms to go drifting in several inches of snow. Never once had an issue. Even if we specifically went to abandoned parking lots to drift around. Never needed AWD and neither did any of my friends at the time. Mountain driving is completely different. If I lived in CO I would own an AWD car for the winter time for sure. But your'e not in the mountains. If you feel more confident with AWD than so be it, but it's definitely not needed.

Lexus never had AWD on their sedans up until around 2005+ so clearly people got by without it somehow.
Old 01-07-18 | 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can't say that I've ever gotten stuck either, not counting being stuck for a minute at the end of a driveway or something while some snow gets shoveled out. However, like I said when it comes to confidence and stability on the road in the snow, there is simply no contest between these cars in RWD and AWD, from somebody who has owned both.

Do you *need* that? No...but there are all kinds of things we have today that we "got by without" in years past. Airbags, antilock brakes, traction control, skid control, pre-collision mitigation systems, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, you can go on and on. We "got by" without these things, but theres no question that these features make modern cars safer, and make them more relaxing to drive in a myriad of different conditions...same is true of AWD.

And as I've said, THAT is why you see AWD taking over the industry.
Old 01-07-18 | 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Lexus never had AWD on their sedans up until around 2005+ so clearly people got by without it somehow.
Lexus started putting it on their sedans primarily because buyers with competing AWD sedans (Audi Quattro, Mercedes 4Matic, BMW X-Drive, etc.....) were simply demanding it. And the IS250AWD, in particular, sold quite well.
Old 01-07-18 | 03:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lexus started putting it on their sedans primarily because buyers with competing AWD sedans (Audi Quattro, Mercedes 4Matic, BMW X-Drive, etc.....) were simply demanding it. And the IS250AWD, in particular, sold quite well.
I don't think people demanded it, electronically controlled AWD just makes it easier for manufacturers to implement more effective stability systems. In the North East, if you want a non AWD BMW, Lexus or Merc you have to order it and wait. I personally hate AWD, and I would much rather have RWD on my X5 and X6M, but unfortunately they only come with AWD.
Old 01-07-18 | 03:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think people demanded it, electronically controlled AWD just makes it easier for manufacturers to implement more effective stability systems. In the North East, if you want a non AWD BMW, Lexus or Merc you have to order it and wait. I personally hate AWD, and I would much rather have RWD on my X5 and X6M, but unfortunately they only come with AWD.
You live, though, in NYC, on the coast, and there the city (presumably) gets the roads clear pretty quickly. If you lived further upstate in NY, though, or near the Lakes, where winters can be simply brutal, it might be a different story.
Old 01-07-18 | 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Lexus sedans are not electronically controlled AWD. They are mechanical.
Old 01-07-18 | 04:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus sedans are not electronically controlled AWD. They are mechanical.
They are mechanical, but they are still controlled by electronics. Not sure about Lexus, but many other manufacturers have torque vectoring, which is extremely effective, and much better than old school passive AWD/4WD systems.
Old 01-07-18 | 04:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You live, though, in NYC, on the coast, and there the city (presumably) gets the roads clear pretty quickly. If you lived further upstate in NY, though, or near the Lakes, where winters can be simply brutal, it might be a different story.
I don't know about that. Generally they do a much better job of clearing the roads the further away you get from the city.
Old 01-07-18 | 04:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
They are mechanical, but they are still controlled by electronics. Not sure about Lexus, but many other manufacturers have torque vectoring, which is extremely effective, and much better than old school passive AWD/4WD systems.
Lexus AWD and Toyota Full time 4WD use a mechanical Torsen diff. No electronics whatsoever to move some torque back and forth from front to back. ATRAC is also standard but is for a different purpose. VSC is for different purpose as well.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-07-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-07-18 | 04:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Lexus AWD and Toyota Full time 4WD use a mechanical Torsen diff. No electronics whatsoever to move some torque back and forth.
There are still electronic sensors that monitor wheel spin, and can cut throttle and apply brakes to individual wheel to prevent skidding.
Old 01-07-18 | 04:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There are still electronic sensors that monitor wheel spin, and can cut throttle and apply brakes to individual wheel to prevent skidding.
And see. When you lock the centre diff in any Toyota full time 4WD system, all eletronic systems turn off. Nothing but pure 4WD. Same thing with the Lexus AWD sedans, you can defeat traction and VSC, once you turn off you now have a mechanically pure AWD.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-07-18 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-07-18 | 04:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

And see, this is where your knowledge of subject is incorrect. When you lock the centre diff in any Toyota full time 4WD system, all eletronic systems turn off. Nothing but pure 4WD.

Apples and oranges. These part time 4WD systems are purpose built for offroading, whereas full time AWD systems double as very effective stability systems.

Same thing with the Lexus AWD sedans, you can defeat traction and VSC, once you turn off you now have a mechanically pure AWD.
I'm not sure if it's possible to shut off traction/stability system in Lexus sedans completely. I know many systems only allow to partial shut off. There was even some clusterpluck procedure on some Lexus vehicles where you had to perform a bunch of tasks in a certain sequence to shut off traction control.
Old 01-07-18 | 04:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Apples and oranges. These part time 4WD systems are purpose built for offroading, whereas full time AWD systems double as very effective stability systems.
Toyota and Lexus offer full time 4WD. They are different from part time like in Tacoma and Tundra.
Old 01-07-18 | 05:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that's not "snap oversteer", that happens in a usually rear engined car (MR2 is notorious for it) when you lift off the gas (hence, it's also called lift-off oversteer) and all the weight suddenly shifts forward causing the back to step out, during high speed cornering. it's amplified by a rear engined car since there's a lot more weight in the back to upset the balance. but mainly, snap oversteer is sudden and accidental whereas this was neither. just intentional fooling around in a controlled environment lol...

but to answer your question, i'm 8 and he's 6
That's fine, I don't mind parsing of terms. btw Some vintages of the late model Ford Mustang are notorious for snap-oversteer. I'm puzzled as to what practicing and then posting this video of a presumably 4WD vehicle hooning on a parking lot has to do with the thread title about 4wd being necessary or not. Any time a vehicle is sliding on a surface that means that vehicle has lost traction and is now subject to the friction component of that surface. Yes skillful drivers exploit this in WRC or drifting, but what that has to do with normal everyday driving and the benefits of 4wd vs rwd is a a spurious connection at best. Nobody drifts around an onramp to get somewhere faster in a snowstorm.
Old 01-07-18 | 05:22 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
RWD with open differential? I don't think so. IMO, AWD vehicle with winter tires will give better safety margin. But most of all, it all depends on driver skill and terrain. Remember when ABS first showed up pro drivers hated it. I did not like ABS on my tow truck pulling more than 3 ton weight camping trailer. Even monkeys fall from tree some times.

Quick Reply: All wheel drive, four-wheel drive, is it really necessary?