Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are you looking to seeing out of Detroit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 05:37 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;10076050]As to your question, IMO it's a little unclear. Is it what we will actually (or probably) be seeing, or what we would WANT to see that is not offered?/QUOTE]

I meant what you think will be there, but agree with your points—particularly regarding American luxury. Lincoln is missing the boat with the Continental. I honestly think that if they gave the new one suicide doors, and did a retro version styled after the '66, they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. Not every sedan needs to have sporting pretensions, and there's an opening there, for sure.
Old 01-09-18, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday

I meant what you think will be there, but agree with your points—particularly regarding American luxury. Lincoln is missing the boat with the Continental. I honestly think that if they gave the new one suicide doors, and did a retro version styled after the '66, they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. Not every sedan needs to have sporting pretensions, and there's an opening there, for sure.
Lincoln DID do a retro concept in 2002 (you might remember it) ...a real beauty, IMO, with the suicide-doors....but, unlike the present Continental, it never went into production.

Old 01-09-18, 06:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=Johnny Mayday;10077176]
Originally Posted by mmarshall
As to your question, IMO it's a little unclear. Is it what we will actually (or probably) be seeing, or what we would WANT to see that is not offered?/QUOTE]

Suicide doors on a Lincoln would be suicide
Old 01-09-18, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Come on, Jill. This isn't the 1960s. With today's technology, installing sensors to prevent them from being opened when the car is in motion would be a piece of cake.
Old 01-09-18, 08:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Come on, Jill. This isn't the 1960s. With today's technology, installing sensors to prevent them from being opened when the car is in motion would be a piece of cake.
I do not presume to know Jill's dislike for suicide doors, but following on Mike's reply, here is my comment...

All such implementations of rear suicide doors on modern cars (including the Saturn Ion coupe and Mazda RX-8) do not have suicide doors that can be opened independently -- the front door must be opened first and closed last because the front door latches onto the rear suicide door. If the front door is not opened while the car is moving, the rear suicide door cannot be opened.
Old 01-09-18, 09:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I do not presume to know Jill's dislike for suicide doors, but following on Mike's reply, here is my comment...

All such implementations of rear suicide doors on modern cars (including the Saturn Ion coupe and Mazda RX-8) do not have suicide doors that can be opened independently -- the front door must be opened first and closed last because the front door latches onto the rear suicide door. If the front door is not opened while the car is moving, the rear suicide door cannot be opened.
It is just a silly idea for Lincoln. I think extended cab trucks have these doors. Never seen them open from the back without the front opening first.
Old 01-09-18, 09:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu

Yes, I know the type of system you're taking about, Sulu. It can be found in a number of Club-Cab half-rear-door pickups, the Mazda RX-8, the last of the Saturn S-series coupes (not just the Ion) , and perhaps some other vehicles. While, yes, forward-opening, I do not consider them true suicide-doors....as you note, the front doors have to be opened first, preferably, of course, with the vehicle at a complete stop.
Old 01-09-18, 10:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Rolls Royce has been doing suicide doors for years now. Would be awesome if Lincoln revived the trend.

Old 01-10-18, 06:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Rolls Royce has been doing suicide doors for years now. Would be awesome if Lincoln revived the trend.

Rolls Royce can get away with it. Lincoln cannot.
Old 01-10-18, 07:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It seems highly unlikely that Ford would make the investment for suicide doors on a low volume car like the Continental which sells about 1k per month. Maybe on a high volume SUV, but probably still not likely..
Old 01-10-18, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That's because the Queen is used to them LOL.

Old 01-10-18, 07:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It seems highly unlikely that Ford would make the investment for suicide doors on a low volume car like the Continental which sells about 1k per month. Maybe on a high volume SUV, but probably still not likely..
These types of doors would be such a turn off to most American full size sedan buyers. Ford already has an uphill battle to convince people to buy their products.
Old 01-10-18, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

These types of doors would be such a turn off to most American full size sedan buyers.
You can make a prediction that they would be...and that's fine. But, without them actually in production, we wouldn't know for sure. Me....my view is that some of the folks like me, who grew up with the original suicide-door Contis and like traditional American luxury, would probably scoop them up....but there may not be enough of those folks left in the new-car market for that to last much longer. They are basically the WWII generation and the older Baby Boomers.
Old 01-10-18, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You can make a prediction that they would be...and that's fine. But, without them actually in production, we wouldn't know for sure. Me....my view is that some of the folks like me, who grew up with the original suicide-door Contis and like traditional American luxury, would probably scoop them up....but there may not be enough of those folks left in the new-car market for that to last much longer. They are basically the WWII generation and the older Baby Boomers.
Highly doubt they would work. Ford and more so GM have a already difficult time selling their cars without big discounts. Suicide doors immediately eliminate a huge chunk of buyers. Remember, the overall car market is not growing, it’s retracting. So why make it even a harder sell.
Old 01-10-18, 09:57 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

That's because the Queen is used to them LOL.

The Queen's state car is actually a Bentley and not a Rolls-Royce. Funny that Bentley's mass-produced cars do not offer reverse-opening doors.

Quick Reply: What are you looking to seeing out of Detroit?