Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are you looking to seeing out of Detroit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 10:02 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You can make a prediction that they would be...and that's fine. But, without them actually in production, we wouldn't know for sure. Me....my view is that some of the folks like me, who grew up with the original suicide-door Contis and like traditional American luxury, would probably scoop them up....but there may not be enough of those folks left in the new-car market for that to last much longer. They are basically the WWII generation and the older Baby Boomers.
There are few -- and getting fewer everyday -- drivers who remember growing up with the 1960s Continentals with reverse-opening doors. Today's drivers, especially the younger ones that Lincoln is trying to sell to may remember the Continental model but would not remember those doors.
Old 01-10-18, 04:15 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lincoln DID do a retro concept in 2002 (you might remember it) ...a real beauty, IMO, with the suicide-doors....but, unlike the present Continental, it never went into production.

I did forget about this! But I remember seeing it now. When I was in Auto Shop as a kid, one of the guys in class had a '66 that his grandfather had left him. It was white-on-white, and absolutely cherry in every single way. We weren't really friends, so I never got to go cruising around in it, but wow, what a machine. I still randomly think about that car, all these years later. Hopefully it didn't wind up trashed, as he never seemed to know what he had. He just hated that it sucked on gas, ha ha. Years ago, I remember seeing something like the Mobsteel version at SEMA and being blown away by it. It's been a awhile, but it might even have been that car. What an amazing presence.

Old 01-10-18, 04:16 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

[QUOTE=LexsCTJill;10077209]
Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
Suicide doors on a Lincoln would be suicide
Let's call them "carriage doors" then. A rose by any other name, ha ha...
Old 01-10-18, 07:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Lincoln needs to do something bold to distinguish themselves in the market. As nice as the new Continental is(interior is really nice IMO), it really is kind of a ho-hum product that blends in, under the skin its a stretched FWD Ford Fusion in most trims. Its really a Lexus ES350 competitor IMO, especially in the base trims, and in that configuration its awesome IMO. $74,000 for the black label is too much $$$, if I wanted 400hp and some performance, I'd damn sure shop elsewhere for something that has a properly set up chassis(Benz E-class comes to mind).

The new Navigator is a big step in the right direction. Sat in one at the dealer, this thing blows away the Escalade in every measurable way, heck it stacks up with the Benz GLS in terms of interior fit/finish, but then again I don't know if people would directly shop those because there is a huge difference in size.

I know people either love/hate the new Lexus LS, but something like that car is exactly what Lincoln needs. Something that makes a statement, something bold, something that people will say just by looking at it at a quick glance, "Man I gotta get me one of those new Lincolns"
Old 01-11-18, 06:20 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Lincoln needs to do something bold to distinguish themselves in the market. As nice as the new Continental is(interior is really nice IMO), it really is kind of a ho-hum product that blends in, under the skin its a stretched FWD Ford Fusion in most trims. Its really a Lexus ES350 competitor IMO, especially in the base trims, and in that configuration its awesome IMO. $74,000 for the black label is too much $$$, if I wanted 400hp and some performance, I'd damn sure shop elsewhere for something that has a properly set up chassis(Benz E-class comes to mind).

The new Navigator is a big step in the right direction. Sat in one at the dealer, this thing blows away the Escalade in every measurable way, heck it stacks up with the Benz GLS in terms of interior fit/finish, but then again I don't know if people would directly shop those because there is a huge difference in size.

I know people either love/hate the new Lexus LS, but something like that car is exactly what Lincoln needs. Something that makes a statement, something bold, something that people will say just by looking at it at a quick glance, "Man I gotta get me one of those new Lincolns"
Have yet to sit in the new Navigator, but from the pics it looks fantastic. Not surprised to hear it stands up in person.