Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5th Gen GS, any news yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 06:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
If Lexus plans on following the orders right from the top that come from Toyota royalty ie. Akio, then they will have to keep the GS around. So far you have the IS, GS and then after that it's a step up to the RC, LC cars. So to simply drop out of the midsize sports luxury market would be a mistake. The 4GS did quite well in comparison tests as did the IS. The problem in particular with the present GS is its styling. Too much 5 series in the side profile and far too frumpy at the back. And the spindle nose is not working here.

Use the TNGA tech here to its fullest, plug in the TT3.5 V6 with the option of a potential F version and then you'll get some attention. Expecting the LS to carry all the sporty handling racetrack type image is a long shot and it doesn't work with flagship buyers. That's what the GS does very well.
Good thinking.
You're only too right.
If TMC follow President Akio's orders to stop making boring cars, then Lexus must keep the 5GS.

An AWD FWD-based 7ES that's nose heavy, with simple & cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension that doesn't keep the front tires perpendicular to the road to maximize grip, simply won't do it.

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-14-18 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 07:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
An AWD FWD-based 7ES that's nose heavy, with simple & cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension that doesn't keep the front tires perpendicular to the road to maximize grip, simply won't do it.
I agree. Nose heavy cars with a transverse engine don't usually cut it here. IMO, an ES is okay for people who like quiet, smooth luxury and a decent but innocuous style. These folks don't usually know the effects of rwd and awd when the torque is directed in one direction or the other. The GS, even in its present form had that rwd bias to give a driver the sense of knowing what rwd oversteer is and a planted but compliant suspension. Even there, the day to day handling of a rwd car is different. But then again, ES/RX customers are different from GS folks.
Old 01-14-18, 07:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
If Lexus plans on following the orders right from the top that come from Toyota royalty ie. Akio, then they will have to keep the GS around. So far you have the IS, GS and then after that it's a step up to the RC, LC cars. So to simply drop out of the midsize sports luxury market would be a mistake. The 4GS did quite well in comparison tests as did the IS. The problem in particular with the present GS is its styling. Too much 5 series in the side profile and far too frumpy at the back. And the spindle nose is not working here.

Use the TNGA tech here to its fullest, plug in the TT3.5 V6 with the option of a potential F version and then you'll get some attention. Expecting the LS to carry all the sporty handling racetrack type image is a long shot and it doesn't work with flagship buyers. That's what the GS does very well.
I think Akio was the one that originally called for GS to be discontinued. This was awhile back though.

Here is the article:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...oreUserAgent=1

Funny that article is almost 7years old and the GS is even in a worse position now with cars like Genesis G80, Kia Stinger, and Audi A6 to contend with.
They need to either kill the ES or GS, then dedicate all resources to make the survivor the best midsize luxury sedan it can be. The current GS was a nice car but the engine and lack of luxury features really let it down.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-14-18 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 07:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think Akio was the one that originally called for GS to be discontinued. This was awhile back though.
He's contradicting himself - I think.

Or maybe TMC engineers just don't know how to design a car - they mistakenly think that it must be firmly suspended to be exciting?

Mercedes engineers wouldn't agree with that...
Old 01-14-18, 08:07 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Audi somehow survives with an FWD / AWD A6, Lexus might just follow Audi’s footsteps.
Old 01-14-18, 08:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Audi somehow survives with an FWD A6, Lexus might just follow Audi’s footsteps.
Most of them are AWD and the engines are facing the right way.
Definitely not as good as a proper RWD platform but much better than a typical cheap FWD chassis that ES has.Thats why they can put in a monster V8TT in the S6. And the V6 is a great engine as well.

Lexus really opened the door for Audi and its amazing the success they have.
GS used to outsell the A6 easily.
Old 01-14-18, 08:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Audi somehow survives with an FWD / AWD A6, Lexus might just follow Audi’s footsteps.
But Audi uses their long wheelbase longitudinal engine MLB platform with a longitudinally mounted engine on a long wheelbase, as opposed to bread & butter VW's which uses the conventional short wheelbase transverse engine MQB platform.
Old 01-14-18, 09:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Please my friends, do not believe what salespeople or dealerships tell you about future cars. They do not know, are generally not car people, do not have such information, are not given inside info, have rarely been right in the past, and are there to sell cars right then and there. It is all geared to get you to buy now, not wait for something later on. Basic sales 101.
Old 01-15-18, 08:00 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

All current models are stopgap products since the GA-L was not ready. The current GS was still using the old platform, only with a 15% increase in a number of welds. From a marketing standpoint, it doesnt make sense to have both the ES and GS. Just make an AWD ES and at the same time, increase the size of the IS to almost GS size. Much more streamlined product line. If people must have a GS, make it into a niche product like a high performance 4 door sports coupe, but that will certainly kill the RC.
Old 01-15-18, 08:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The RC should have been a IS coupe in the first place, not with the the Frankenplatform Of the current car ......
Old 01-15-18, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Here is the article:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...oreUserAgent=1

Funny that article is almost 7years old and the GS is even in a worse position now with cars like Genesis G80, Kia Stinger, and Audi A6 to contend with.
They need to either kill the ES or GS, then dedicate all resources to make the survivor the best midsize luxury sedan it can be. The current GS was a nice car but the engine and lack of luxury features really let it down.
Why not just give it better engines, ditch the 4 cylinder and hybrid nobody buys, and offer a affordable V8 like they did previously instead of killing either the GS or ES?

There are generally 4 things why the GS does not sell well and what they need to improve.

1) it is about the same size as a ES inside and out yet has way too much of a premium, buyers just ending up choosing the ES unless they really want something RWD.

2)the engines are no longer very impressive, the 6 cylinder is actually slower then the previous generation, likely geared for better fuel economy. The 4 cylinder does not belong in this car, the hybrid is way overpriced and does not offer much of anything over the NA 6 cylinder, no money savings in fuel with the premium you pay. A nice engine lineup would be the standard NA 6 cylinder with 315hp, a turbo 3.5L from the LS with about 415hp, and then a affordable 8 cylinder with around 430hp.

3) the styling is nice but it is way too similar to a ES, they are hard to tell apart unless you really know the cars. It should have lust worthy styling and be unique from a ES.

4)the interior is pretty spartan, especially with the non luxury, the luxury package is nice but is way too high of a premium to get much sales, they need to make most of the luxury package standard or a inexpensive upgrade if they are going to price it so much higher then a ES. It should get more room too since the LS is only being offered in a long wheelbase now.
Old 01-15-18, 10:14 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The RC should have been a IS coupe in the first place, not with the the Frankenplatform Of the current car ......
Correct! I couldn't agree more. It would have been lighter and probably even looked better.

Last edited by oldcajun; 01-16-18 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 12:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
All current models are stopgap products since the GA-L was not ready. The current GS was still using the old platform, only with a 15% increase in a number of welds. From a marketing standpoint, it doesnt make sense to have both the ES and GS. Just make an AWD ES and at the same time, increase the size of the IS to almost GS size. Much more streamlined product line. If people must have a GS, make it into a niche product like a high performance 4 door sports coupe, but that will certainly kill the RC.
Audi has A4/A5, A6/A7 & A8/A9.
BM has 3/4 Series, 5/6 Series & 7/8 Series.
Benz has A Class & CLA, and E Class & CLS.

I don't think it's a problem at all.
It's more probably because my 4GS has a rather bland tail & bland dash that caused 2012 debut sales to drop to 22,000+ units from the my previous generation 3GS which debut with 33,000+ units in 2005.

Styling really sells.
After the badge, the next most important facet for consumers is the styling.

And disregard those who say that my 4GS debut sales figures dropped because of SUV's.
This is not true because in 2012, E Class sales passed a thumping 65,000 units, and Benz had another 8,000+ CLS sales on top.

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-15-18 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 08:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Audi has A4/A5, A6/A7 & A8/A9.
BM has 3/4 Series, 5/6 Series & 7/8 Series.
Benz has A Class & CLA, and E Class & CLS.

I don't think it's a problem at all.
It's more probably because my 4GS has a rather bland tail & bland dash that caused 2012 debut sales to drop to 22,000+ units from the my previous generation 3GS which debut with 33,000+ units in 2005.

Styling really sells.

And disregard those who say that my 4GS debut sales figures dropped because of SUV's.
This is not true because in 2012, E Class sales passed a thumping 65,000 units, and Benz had another 8,000+ CLS sales on top.
I thought the A series with odd numbers are coupes? The MB CLA and CLS are 4 door coupes with less space no?
Old 01-16-18, 09:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Styling really sells.
it can kill sales too.

order is not hard and fast by any means. and badge can work against a brand too even on the high end... for years i did not want a mercedes or bmw because i didn't want to be someone who drove a mercedes or bmw.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen GS, any news yet?