Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Cadillac CT5 spied

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 01:25 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twin rudders you say? How about these after burners! lol

Old 01-12-18, 03:03 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

that stance looks really good and athletic

If Lexus ever gets rid of the GS and wants to combine the ES/GS, they should follow this example with a nicely proportioned RWD
Old 01-12-18, 03:48 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The exterior styling has been a strong suit for Cadillac. The current CTS and CT6 sedans look great imo - modern, classy and sporty. Most important they can be recognized instantly as a Cadillac.

The issue for the brand are horrible multimedia tech (CUE) and crazy pricing.
They need to be much cheaper and offer attractive leases or they will never sell.
Old 01-12-18, 05:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's not what I said. Its main problem was the joke of a power train. But the lack of traditional Caddy styling certainly didn't help.
Perhaps what you were thinking, but it's verbatim what you said.

Vertical....like most Cadillacs. See for yourself.

Sorry--meant first gen. I should have been more clear.
Attached Thumbnails 2020 Cadillac CT5 spied-2003-cadillac-seville-sts-sedan-angular-rear.png  
Old 01-12-18, 05:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Did you mean the old STS?

Yup--that's the one I meant. Probably the only Cadillac from 1980 - 2010 I would even consider owning.
Old 01-12-18, 06:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As they said in the article it's hard to tell, but I agree that the CT5 will likely move down a size notch from current CTS and slot between the CTS/ATS of today, This is where the prior CTS did well, straddling 3/5 series size with pricing also in between (closer to 3 series). Should pair well with the CT6 that straddles 5/7 Series. With this market, no longer need sedans in every size.
Old 01-12-18, 10:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

ok, let's stop posts of 20, 30, 50 year old cars and focus on this present spy shot. thanks.
Old 01-12-18, 11:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
As they said in the article it's hard to tell, but I agree that the CT5 will likely move down a size notch from current CTS and slot between the CTS/ATS of today, This is where the prior CTS did well, straddling 3/5 series size with pricing also in between (closer to 3 series). Should pair well with the CT6 that straddles 5/7 Series. With this market, no longer need sedans in every size.
How is the CT6 selling? Because the ATS and CTS aren't. The ATS just falls short of the competition in every way except for handling -- which is what only a small % of the customer base cares about. The CT6 has good press, but has it translated to sales? My guess is that Cadillac is just doomed to repeat prior missteps with the CT5, even with the new HQ in Soho.
Old 01-12-18, 05:19 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
How is the CT6 selling? Because the ATS and CTS aren't.
I wonder how big the discount is now, and if I can get a CTS for the price of a camry.

The biggest problem I see is that in regular trim, the CTS is damn ugly as it tries to save its angular cues of yesteryear.

The newer concepts are much nicer, and bring back some curves and nicer proportions.

This is like what the GS should have been, minus the odd looking butt.

Old 01-12-18, 05:53 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The issue for the brand are horrible multimedia tech (CUE) and crazy pricing.
They need to be much cheaper and offer attractive leases or they will never sell.
this. this guy gets it. you aren't going to lure away customers from the european brands by offering less for more. and when the occasional odd customer indicates a willingness to discuss a deal, you don't throw msrp less factory rebate down on paper and expect them to jump on it. cadillac and its dealers are a bunch of morons.
Old 01-13-18, 05:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BoDarville
this. this guy gets it. you aren't going to lure away customers from the european brands by offering less for more. and when the occasional odd customer indicates a willingness to discuss a deal, you don't throw msrp less factory rebate down on paper and expect them to jump on it. cadillac and its dealers are a bunch of morons.
Everyone gets it except Caddy. I've thought for years that they need to adopt the Hyundai marketing strategy--offer the customer more for their dollar. You don't have to undercut the Euro brands--just offer more for the money. Make features that are optional on Euro brands standard. Caddy has an inflated self worth, and that's what gets in their way.
Old 01-13-18, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Everyone gets it except Caddy. I've thought for years that they need to adopt the Hyundai marketing strategy--offer the customer more for their dollar. You don't have to undercut the Euro brands--just offer more for the money. Make features that are optional on Euro brands standard. Caddy has an inflated self worth, and that's what gets in their way.

I don't think that's really the issue with Cadillac. The main problem is that, with the huge SUV market, they need another smaller SUV that they are lacking.....something along the lines of the Lincoln MKC, Lexus NX, and Audi Q3. There is one, of course, still under development (XT4), but it has not been released yet. I hope to see one at the D.C. auto show at the end of the month, but am not betting on it.....it will more likely be displayed at Detroit.
Old 01-13-18, 09:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I don't think that's really the issue with Cadillac. The main problem is that, with the huge SUV market, they need another smaller SUV that they are lacking.....something along the lines of the Lincoln MKC, Lexus NX, and Audi Q3. There is one, of course, still under development (XT4), but it has not been released yet. I hope to see one at the D.C. auto show at the end of the month, but am not betting on it.....it will more likely be displayed at Detroit.
That's overall sales--not sales disappointments for individual models. Needing more SUVs doesn't have anything to do with the months worth of ATS and CTS inventory on hand.
Old 01-13-18, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Caddy has an inflated self worth, and that's what gets in their way.
I agree. I commend Cadillac for going for it and trying to compete full head on with the Germans. They have essentially failed IMO.

Now they import their flagship to the USA from CHINA
Old 01-13-18, 02:41 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Cadillac targeted the ATS at the previous generation 3 series and they nailed it. Unfortunately for Caddy, BMW moved the 3 series to a larger more luxurious car and left the ATS as too small, not luxe enough, and with a flinty ride. The CT6 chassis is an engineering masterpiece. No one else has a car this big that is as light and rigid. Unfortunately for Caddy, their management elected to go for sporty rather than plush leaving them without their traditional market and unable to steal buyers from BMW or Audi. It was a huge investment in technology that did not result in sales success. These cars are expensive to produce so just cutting price is not too attractive.

Hopefully, the CT5 will be a better market fit depending on how it is priced.

Quick Reply: 2020 Cadillac CT5 spied