Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Cadillac CT5 spied

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 02:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, That's interesting. Caddy did have a display at Detroit. But, on the other hand, according to the floor plan, Porsche will have a display here in D.C., but not at the larger Detroit show....go figure. And Mitsubishi will not have a display at any of the shows.
Mitsu is at Philly--but I understand them cutting costs to not go to shows.

If Caddy didn't go to Detroit, they might as well just fold....

Did you mean the CT5? You can look at (and test-drive) the CT6 at any Cadillac dealership...It's been out for well over a year.
I meant the CT6--I know when it came out. I'm not going to waste my time making a special visit to a Caddy dealer to look at the a car for 5 minutes, especially when there's no chance I'm getting one. I'm going to be at the show, and I like the CT6, so it was on my list to check out. That's the entire point of the auto show, and the baffling part of why Caddy isn't there. "Hey, look, that Caddy is pretty nice. I didn't realize."

The CT5 isn't coming out till '20, and there's only spy photos. No cars debut in Philly.
Old 01-27-18, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Mitsu is at Philly--but I understand them cutting costs to not go to shows.
Yep, and I was wrong.....they are at Detroit, too. Didn't notice it at first, but they have a very small display in the lower-left-hand corner of the floor plan, next to Volvo:

https://naias.com/wp-content/uploads...lan-Public.pdf

If Caddy didn't go to Detroit, they might as well just fold...
Porsche hasn't been to Detroit in several years, yet there's no sign of them folding anytime soon. The company readily admits they don't bother with that show...prefering to concentrate on other areas.

I meant the CT6--I know when it came out. I'm not going to waste my time making a special visit to a Caddy dealer to look at the a car for 5 minutes, especially when there's no chance I'm getting one.
Well, if you're not retired like me, then, yes, time is probably more important to you.

I'm going to be at the show, and I like the CT6, so it was on my list to check out. That's the entire point of the auto show, and the baffling part of why Caddy isn't there. "Hey, look, that Caddy is pretty nice. I didn't realize."
Certainly no arguments there. But, just to be sure, I'll check the next time I'm there again, in a couple of days. I haven't been downstairs yet (the D.C. show is on two levels)...usually, on my first day at the show, I take in all of the upstairs displays (the show is so big you can't see everything, thoroughly, in one day). Sometimes, though, changes are made overnight while the crowd is at home, or they revise the floor plan from what was first on the web site. Maybe (?) Caddy will show up, later....we'll see. The Detroit show is still running through tomorrow (it doesn't end till the 28th), and maybe (?) they will bring some of the stuff there down to what's left of the D.C. show....that's been known to happen.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 04:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

If Caddy didn't go to Detroit, they might as well just fold....

I think the Cadillac brand is dead (although I kinda like their cars). Only thing they got going for them is the Escalade.
Old 01-27-18, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the Cadillac brand is dead (although I kinda like their cars). Only thing they got going for them is the Escalade.

Though it's no secret that I generally prefer Buicks, I don't see any reason why the Cadillac nameplate has to die. If they can make their CUE system more user-friendly like the Buick Intellink, make their sedans feel and drive like Cadillacs again instead of Germanic sport-sedans, and, of course, start using the kind of build-quality materials that Genesis does in their vehicles, then IMO they will have a brighter future.
Old 01-27-18, 05:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Even if it is, the people at Caddy will be the last ones to realize it.
Though it's no secret that I generally prefer Buicks, I don't see any reason why the Cadillac nameplate has to die. If they can make their CUE system more user-friendly like the Buick Intellink, make their sedans feel and drive like Cadillacs again instead of Germanic sport-sedans, and, of course, start using the kind of build-quality materials that Genesis does in their vehicles, then IMO they will have a brighter future.
Cadillac has had 20 years of being right there "if" they did this, that or the other thing. It's time to do, not dream.

"If" they can make CUE more user friendly? How hard can that possibly be?! Dump it and add Intellink, which receives much better reviews across every other GM brand. "Oh no, we can't do that. We are Cadillac. We now have our HQ in NYC; we have to be better!" That's Caddy's problem--they are too blind, arrogant or stupid to get out of their own way to do simple little thinks to make their products either better, more desirable, or both.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-27-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 07:10 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cadillac just had their 2nd best year in global sales in its entire 115 year history.
Old 01-27-18, 07:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Yep, and I was wrong.....they are at Detroit, too. Didn't notice it at first, but they have a very small display in the lower-left-hand corner of the floor plan, next to Volvo:

Porsche hasn't been to Detroit in several years, yet there's no sign of them folding anytime soon. The company readily admits they don't bother with that show...prefering to concentrate on other areas.

Well, if you're not retired like me, then, yes, time is probably more important to you.

Certainly no arguments there. But, just to be sure, I'll check the next time I'm there again, in a couple of days. I haven't been downstairs yet (the D.C. show is on two levels)...usually, on my first day at the show, I take in all of the upstairs displays (the show is so big you can't see everything, thoroughly, in one day). Sometimes, though, changes are made overnight while the crowd is at home, or they revise the floor plan from what was first on the web site. Maybe (?) Caddy will show up, later....we'll see. The Detroit show is still running through tomorrow (it doesn't end till the 28th), and maybe (?) they will bring some of the stuff there down to what's left of the D.C. show....that's been known to happen.
As mentioned earlier, it looks like Porsche was at the Detroit show.There are several videos of models on display.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=porsche+at+the+2018+naias+&&view=detail&mid=ABCFD4CC35D2C1D78B28ABCFD4CC35D2C1D78B28&&FORM=VDRVRV
Old 01-27-18, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As mentioned earlier, it looks like Porsche was at the Detroit show.There are several videos of models on display.
Must have been a last-minute change. Unless your eyes are better then mine, I did not see it on this year's floor plan.

Old 01-28-18, 01:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=porsche+at+the+2018+naias+&&view=detail&mid=ABCFD4CC35D2C1D78B28ABCFD4CC35D2C1D78B28&&FORM=VDRVRV
Porsche was only there from a local dealer bringing a few cars for a display called The Gallery I believe. They did not have a full display/press conference. Same for Jaguar/Land Rover. Even the Volvo's, located outside the main hall were from a local dealer if i remember correctly.

Back to CT5, really interested to see how the product (and the future of Cadillac) develops.
Old 01-28-18, 02:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Vertical headlights and taillights are features from the past- a time that has moved on in this competitive segment. Being stuck in the past and/or paying homage will hurt the brand here. It's the stuck in the past thinking that is what hurts GM the most. Whatever new sedan Cadillac introduces, it needs to mimic it's direct competitors from Germany and Asia. There is no getting around it, as that is who's selling more cars right now and that is where the money is being collected. Even Cadillac must be seeing some light here, with the introduction of slim, horizontal headlights on this car. The success of this company depends on forward thinking that matches the moderness and edginess of what the competition is and has been providing.
Some of that same group think has Cadillac in the current mess they are in now. Cadillac needs to concentrate on building better Cadillacs, not building small, stiff riding sport sedans, the market has moved on from that. Really what Cadillac needs to focus on is better quality, better execution of interiors, better integration of technology. That's where they have really lagged. Hire some people from Audi or Benz who do interiors and infotainment technology, as your current people suck.

That and more SUV's, they need something smaller than the current XT5 and something larger too. Also some more interesting drive-trains in said SUV's, as you can get the standard AND ONLY 3.6 V6 engine in the XT5 in any other GM suv. Go look at the competition in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, you can get a V6, a diesel, and 3 different V8 options. Same thing with the Benz GLE, two different twin turbo V6 options, a hybrid model, and a V8 are all optional.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-28-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 02:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Curious. How many stand alone dealers are there in the US for Cadillac?
Old 01-28-18, 04:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Curious. How many stand alone dealers are there in the US for Cadillac?

Cadillac gives a figure of around 200...but the latest figure I could find was a couple of years old.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/cadi...ac-dealer.html
Old 01-28-18, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Cadillac gives a figure of around 200...but the latest figure I could find was a couple of years old.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/cadi...ac-dealer.html
That is not bad. 200 out of how many? In Canada I have never seen a stand alone Cadillac dealer and in Upper State NY I have not come across one either.
Old 01-28-18, 06:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

That is not bad. 200 out of how many? In Canada I have never seen a stand alone Cadillac dealer and in Upper State NY I have not come across one either.
There's one near my office. Of course, it's only a stand alone Caddy dealer because it used to also be Saab, Hummer and Olds too....
Old 01-28-18, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure just how far "upstate" in NY you are referring to, but there is Otto Cadillac in Albany, Keyser Cadillac near Buffalo, and Davidson Cadillac in Watertown. They are stand-alone dealerships....and there might be some others. Did you use the Cadillac dealer locator, on the website?

Virtually all of the Caddy shops in the D.C. area are stand-alone, BTW.

Quick Reply: 2020 Cadillac CT5 spied