Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 09:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The four is worthy and glad you reviewed it.
Check under the "pluses."

Yes...got it, Thanks. I noticed it after I posted the question.

Yes, the turbo four will get out of its own way....but not out of everybody else's as well, like the TT V6.
Old 01-13-18, 11:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
One thing, you listed the 3.3 engine twice.
It's that good.
Old 01-13-18, 12:25 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think this car will sell relatively well.

The Audi A5 has been a bright beacon in their sedan lineup in terms of sales and I don't see why this car will be any different and in fact, the price point might make this even more attractive. It will definitely garner attention to people who don't want or need an SUV, but like the practicality of the hatchback without looking like a hatchback, not to mention with an engine that can actually put some fun back into driving.
Old 01-13-18, 12:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I think this car will sell relatively well.
I don't think it will.
Old 01-13-18, 01:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
MINUSES (-) :

No manual transmission option in a heavily-sport-oriented vehicle.

Relatively low stance to the ground makes entry/exit a stretch for large or tall persons.

Tacky-looking (IMO) center-dash video screen.
No manual transmission is not a minus for a car in this class, take would be so low it's not even worth offering, the mighty Nissan GT-R doesn't even offer a manual transmission is a MUCH sportier car.

Low stance is not a minus either, it's a given in a sportier car.

video screen placement of this type is growing on me, it's much safer than lower on the center stack.

OT -

Last edited by bagwell; 01-13-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
No manual transmission is not a minus for a car in this class is not a minus, take would be so low it's not even worth offering, the mighty Nissan GT-R doesn't even offer a manual transmission is a MUCH sportier car.
Yes......and look what kind of numbers the GT-R sells in. I can guarantee you that you won't find one on the average street corner, like you will a Camry or Accord (and even the latest Accord offers a manual) As I've said many times before, you can't sell what you don't produce. I agree that manual transmissions are becoming more redundant with today's advanced automatics and auto manuals, but, with the specific type of vehicle (and market) that the Stinger represents (a group that often likes to row their own gears), personally, I don't see where having a traditional three-pedal would hurt.

Low stance is not a minus either, it's a given in a sportier car.
Low stance is not necessarily a minus if you are short, are reasonably lithe and healthy, and/or are into low-stance vehicles...but it can definitely be a minus for many others. You should have been around when I was trying to shoehorn myself into a Lotus Elise for a review....now THAT was a job LOL.

....I appreciate your comments, though, even if I disagree with them.
Old 01-13-18, 01:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. I agree that manual transmissions are becoming more redundant with today's advanced automatics and auto manuals, but, with the specific type of vehicle (and market) that the Stinger represents (a group that often likes to row their own gears), personally, I don't see where having a traditional three-pedal would hurt.
I do agree with you. It would not hurt to offer a manual. I have no idea who offers one and who does not, but KIA would stand out for offering this rare option. Especially if they want to appeal to performance minded buyers. Who knows, perhaps in the second model year they will offer one.

Low stance is not necessarily a minus if you are short, are reasonably lithe and healthy, and/or are into low-stance vehicles...but it can definitely be a minus for many others. You should have been around when I was trying to shoehorn myself into a Lotus Elise for a review....now THAT was a job LOL.
The low stance is done on purpose and is intentional. If you listed the low stance as a minus, then you are wrong.
Old 01-13-18, 02:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I do agree with you. It would not hurt to offer a manual. I have no idea who offers one and who does not, but KIA would stand out for offering this rare option. Especially if they want to appeal to performance minded buyers. Who knows, perhaps in the second model year they will offer one.

The low stance is done on purpose and is intentional. If you listed the low stance as a minus, then you are wrong.
The only way there will be a Stinger with a manual trans is if the upcoming Genesis G70 has one and my guess is that it won't. Potential lost sales because of no manual will be very small and probably nothing that Kia would worry much about.

I agree about the low stance. It might be a negative to certain potential buyers but for a car like that it's expected or accepted by the majority of buyers.
Old 01-13-18, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Of all people, Buick offered a true 3-pedal manual on the last Opel-based Regal GS, though discontinued it later on. Car and Driver loved it.....they said that, to them, it was the best Buick product they had ever sampled.....including the Grand National/GNX.

In my view, definitely a minus for some people....though, yes, it helps handling and stability. I note your comments (and respect your opinion)...but my position stands.

Simple. Think of it this way (in reverse)....with tall-stance trucks and SUVs. Some of them had such an imposing step up to the cabin-floor, particularly for short people and/or ladies with dresses on (who wanted to be modest), that running-boards had to be developed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-18 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 04:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

MM thanks for this review and gives credence to mine since we're pretty much aligned such as the limited interior space (rear headroom), low wind noise but w/some road noise, solid doors/overall feel, premium tactile feel of switchgear, and the performance side of it.

The GT, with Nappa leather, HUD, 360 camera (in Can), real aluminum trim, alcantara headliner, 8" screen, AVS, and so many other toys, gives it that richer more premium look and feel over the one you tested. I think Kia USA will have a bigger challenge selling the loaded GT2 since the pricing gap to an S5 or 440i GC is not as large as in Canada which is 20-25K ! If it would be +- 10K, I'd be on the fence between the S5 and the Stinger. Time will tell on sales and reliability, but out the gate, this is really a fantastic product that is only hindered by its badge.

Joys of winter...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-13-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
MM thanks for this review and gives credence to mine since we're pretty much aligned such as the limited interior space (rear headroom), low wind noise but w/some road noise, solid doors/overall feel, premium tactile feel of switchgear, and the performance side of it.
Glad you enjoyed it. Yes.....it's pretty hard to sit in (and drive) this car and not come to those conclusions.

The GT, with Nappa leather, HUD, 360 camera (in Can), real aluminum trim, alcantara headliner, 8" screen, AVS, and so many other toys, gives it that richer more premium look and feel over the one you tested.
Not surprising. Top-line GTs with AWD can run over 50K. My test car listed for just under 33K. But even the base ones are not exactly El Cheapo when it comes to materials.

Time will tell on sales and reliability, but out the gate, this is really a fantastic product that is only hindered by its badge.
Well, the way you and I think, even the badge is no problem....but, yes, old habits among the public sometimes die hard.

I see, by the KPH speedometer, that you have a Canadian-spec version.

Joys of winter...

I see that you're going to have fun with the hose and sponge....at least when the temperature is above freezing. Rinse away.

(I know it can be difficult with a low-slung car like that, but try and get at least as much of the car's underbody with the hose as you can...especially around the rear suspension and mufflers, which have a lot of exposed metal parts).
Old 01-13-18, 06:26 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The GT, with Nappa leather, HUD, 360 camera (in Can), real aluminum trim, alcantara headliner, 8" screen, AVS, and so many other toys, gives it that richer more premium look and feel over the one you tested. I think Kia USA will have a bigger challenge selling the loaded GT2 since the pricing gap to an S5 or 440i GC is not as large as in Canada which is 20-25K ! If it would be +- 10K, I'd be on the fence between the S5 and the Stinger. Time will tell on sales and reliability, but out the gate, this is really a fantastic product that is only hindered by its badge.
For a change, the Canadians get a price break plus additional equipment. US pricing puts a GT2 list price at about $11,500 cheaper than a comparable S5. One difference here is that KIA finance is underwriting the lease program. Currently there is over $6000 cap reduction on a 36 mo lease of a GT2. Since Audis usually don't have good lease programs, there might still be over $20,000 difference in the US.
Old 01-14-18, 01:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
No manual transmission is not a minus for a car in this class, take would be so low it's not even worth offering, the mighty Nissan GT-R doesn't even offer a manual transmission is a MUCH sportier car.
It's not a minus for any car other than the Miata or GTI. Even Lambos and Ferraris are doing away with true manual transmissions.

Kia wants you to think that the Stinger is competitor to the A5/S5 SportBack--neither of which offer MT. The MT is on life support.

Yes it would--it costs production dollars to offer an additional transmission choice. Then they have to decide how many of each engine/trim choice will sell in MT. Again, if Audi isn't offering it in their "S" version cars, there's a good reason--Audi would definitely have some takers.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-14-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

On the Stinger forums, they actually had a pretty good discussion about this.

https://stingerforum.org/threads/no-...r-for-some.35/
Old 08-28-19, 08:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Heard to today on the CR podcast, Stinger sales are struggling. Rebates are now quite high. CR says $3000 is average.

Here is a link, up to $5000 with secret rebates. One dealer is offering $12,000 off. Ouch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...incentive/amp/

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2018 Kia Stinger