Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Ford Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 12:52 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The name is iconic, I think it looks good. Please tell me it comes in a 6-spd manual....

edit mated soley to a 10 spd auto, buh bye

ok I still like it, but man why can't they put a diesel stick in it...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-15-18 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 01:29 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 282 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
ok I still like it, but man why can't they put a diesel stick in it...
Because both of the people who would buy it have posted in this thread.
Old 01-15-18, 02:14 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks nice to me

Originally Posted by theory816
Rather have a tacoma
you'll probably pay $10K more for Tacoma

looks ok to me just hate all the CHROME

Last edited by bagwell; 01-15-18 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 07:55 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. Toyota does a good job on a truck's drivetrain and mechanicals, but the cheap interior components and C-channel frame are drawbacks.....although, according to Toyota, the front sub-frames holding the engine are fully-boxed.
And supposedly the c channel frames are used so the body will flex to help the wheels stay in contact with the road while offroading. Last I checked, the LC, LX, GX all have fully boxed frames. I do hope they lose their sales crown. Gets them off their lazy azzzes.
Old 01-15-18, 07:56 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by msgs350
Me too. I was waiting for this Ranger to come out but now I just can't get past the looks.

I really hope this will benefit the consumers buying the Tacoma. For the past year, I've been pricing and shopping for a Tacoma and dealers aren't willing to budge much on the price. I can surely see Toyota Tacoma fleet sales will take a huge hit though.
Would you test drive the ranger?
Old 01-15-18, 10:02 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
Me too. I was waiting for this Ranger to come out but now I just can't get past the looks.

I really hope this will benefit the consumers buying the Tacoma. For the past year, I've been pricing and shopping for a Tacoma and dealers aren't willing to budge much on the price. I can surely see Toyota Tacoma fleet sales will take a huge hit though.
Toyota doesn't sell the Tacoma to fleets, not as work trucks, government fleets, or to rental car companies. The latest one wasn't designed to be a work truck, Toyota has them priced way too high to compete in that segment of reg cab, 8' box 1/2 ton white work trucks.

As for the new Ranger, it looks like a decent truck, good looking, looks like its sized square at the new Tacoma and Colorado. IMO proof is in the pudding, lets see how it drives and performs before jumping into to conclusions. If you're really interested, look up youtube reviews, this truck has been out in Australia, in the current body style for a couple of years now.

As for it being designed for the Australian market, this is one vehicle that I think will work great here in the states, provided Ford prices it right. Unlike GM's past attempts to sell Aussie muscle cars here, the Ranger really fits into a very popular niche here in America that has been completely dominated by one truck until just very recently.
Old 01-16-18, 06:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Toyota doesn't sell the Tacoma to fleets, not as work trucks, government fleets, or to rental car companies. The latest one wasn't designed to be a work truck, Toyota has them priced way too high to compete in that segment of reg cab, 8' box 1/2 ton white work trucks.
https://fleet.toyota.com/ftc/public/fleet/tacoma.htm
Old 01-16-18, 06:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Yeah there was a national Comcast "contractor" who used Tacoma pickups exclusively. I first noticed them when a driver threw his trash right out the window and I was behind him (and I still don't have a dash cam front/rear). 8002ADVISE is too much of a hassle
Old 01-16-18, 08:32 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Would you test drive the ranger?
Yes, i will. I'm only judging this truck based on its look for now. It might grow on me when I see it in person.

As for the new Ranger, it looks like a decent truck, good looking, looks like its sized square at the new Tacoma and Colorado. IMO proof is in the pudding, lets see how it drives and performs before jumping into to conclusions. If you're really interested, look up youtube reviews, this truck has been out in Australia, in the current body style for a couple of years now.

As for it being designed for the Australian market, this is one vehicle that I think will work great here in the states, provided Ford prices it right. Unlike GM's past attempts to sell Aussie muscle cars here, the Ranger really fits into a very popular niche here in America that has been completely dominated by one truck until just very recently.
As others have posted, Toyota does sell to fleets. I've seen them around my area for Construction, cable and pest exterminator companies. Sure, it's a decent looking truck, and no doubt it will be capable, I just prefer the Tacoma for looks. The previous generation rangers are great trucks. We bought a new 4x2 Ranger back in 1990 and still have that truck to this day (currently has 150k miles) and it's been dependable and runs great for a 28 year old truck! I agree, if Ford prices this truck right, it may dominate the segment.
Old 01-16-18, 06:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've seen older Tacomas in fleets, back when they still made 2wd reg cab cheapie smaller trucks. Didn't know they still sold them to fleets, at least I've never seen them around where I live or at a construction site with the company logo on them. Plenty of tradesmen do own Tacomas though, you see them at the job site, but they're the workers personal vehicle, not the company truck.

It would be interesting to see what the % of Tacomas sold to fleets is and what the average price is. I know you can buy a lot more truck from the big 3 for same or less money.
Old 01-16-18, 07:05 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

I've seen older Tacomas in fleets, back when they still made 2wd reg cab cheapie smaller trucks. Didn't know they still sold them to fleets, at least I've never seen them around where I live or at a construction site with the company logo on them. Plenty of tradesmen do own Tacomas though, you see them at the job site, but they're the workers personal vehicle, not the company truck.

It would be interesting to see what the % of Tacomas sold to fleets is and what the average price is. I know you can buy a lot more truck from the big 3 for same or less money.
I was referring to the newer 3rd GEN (i know how they look because I want one) company trucks with company logos and "How is my driving?" stickers on them or else i wouldn't assume they are feet/contractor vehicles. Would any tradesmen put that sticker on their personal vehicle? I work with and hire contractors as part of my job and personal life.
I'm not hating on the Ranger (or Ford Trucks), at all, in fact..i'm looking to buy a truck and its either Toyota or Ford. I was originally going to get a Raptor but the $20k mark-up is ridiculous and I would have to trade in my modded ISF. I'm in the market for a ~$40k truck and the Tacoma is the best truck (to me anyways) in the market. I would like to get the TRD Pro but $50k for a V6 truck is crazy. Lets hope Ford hits one out of the park with this Ranger. Competition is great for the consumers.

Last edited by msgs350; 01-16-18 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 07:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

The 2019 Ranger will be offered with a single engine: the second-generation 2.3-liter twin-scroll turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine with a forged steel crankshaft and Ford’s new 10-speed automatic transmission—no manual. No specs are available yet, but the 2.3-liter gets 280 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque in the Ford Explorer.
280hp would be nice.

Last edited by bagwell; 01-17-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-11-18, 10:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ranger Raptor Spotted in Michigan

Source
Old 04-11-18, 11:27 AM
situman
Pole Position

If there's 1 thing that Ford does well, is making trucks. Even with "just" 280hp, they will easily outgun all the other compact trucks. And if anybody decides to up the power game, Ford has plenty of Ecoboost engines to choose from. I do expect them to shove the 2.7L V6 Ecoboost in there at some point though. Wake up call coming Toyota.
Old 04-12-18, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ranger Wildtrak also spotted in U.S.

Source

Quick Reply: 2019 Ford Ranger