Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Ford Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 03:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
Pricing is in-line with the Toyota Tacoma, which in my opinion is its true competitor. Personally, I would still chose a Tacoma Pro if i were to spend $40k range for a truck.
LOL, they have to do much better than be in-line with Tacoma pricing for me to consider a new Ranger.

IMO, it looks closer to a Nissan Frontier, so it better be in-line with THAT pricing, hehe.
Old 08-14-18, 10:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounds overpriced and ripe for continual incentives.

One could once buy a base compact pick-up truck for the same price as some of the lowest priced cars (during the 80's and 90's). Things have elevated well beyond low vehicle pricing. I'm almost positive if a manufacturer brought back a no-frills compact pick-up truck for $14k (price of a Versa), it would sell like crazy for the day workers/laborers out there.
Old 08-15-18, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
. I'm almost positive if a manufacturer brought back a no-frills compact pick-up truck for $14k (price of a Versa), it would sell like crazy for the day workers/laborers out there.
You won't find anything for 14K, but base Nissan Frontiers start at 19K...that's not a bad deal at today's prices.

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/trucks/frontier.html
Old 08-15-18, 06:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

One could once buy a base compact pick-up truck for the same price as some of the lowest priced cars (during the 80's and 90's). Things have elevated well beyond low vehicle pricing. I'm almost positive if a manufacturer brought back a no-frills compact pick-up truck for $14k (price of a Versa), it would sell like crazy for the day workers/laborers out there.
I don't think it's possible to build a pickup for $14k, let alone sell one for that price. Especially not with the price of aluminum and steel recently.
Old 08-15-18, 06:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
Pricing is in-line with the Toyota Tacoma, which in my opinion is its true competitor. Personally, I would still chose a Tacoma Pro if i were to spend $40k range for a truck.
Originally Posted by bagwell
LOL, they have to do much better than be in-line with Tacoma pricing for me to consider a new Ranger.

IMO, it looks closer to a Nissan Frontier, so it better be in-line with THAT pricing, hehe.
Sounds overpriced and ripe for continual incentives.

One can easily argue that the Tacoma is overpriced as well. You get a mediocre and underpowered drivetrain combo and basically a warmed over previous gen frame and structure. The Ranger will have a stronger frame and structure with much better and powerful powertrains. Plus if there's one thing that Ford does well, are trucks.
Old 08-15-18, 06:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think this Ranger will do not bad. Not sure if it will be a mega hit. I have seen one at the auto show and you can tell it was not designed for the US market first. It is a world market truck. Hopefully this keeps Toyota on their toes. I probably would not buy the Tacoma as the first and foremost truck IMO
Old 08-15-18, 07:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I would still choose a Tacoma over this. It may be unreasonable, but I have no desire to have a 4 cylinder turbo in a truck. Playing around with the configurator, it appears that you cannot get the 4 door "SuperCrew" cab with the long bed, so you are relegated to a 5' bed. I had a 5' bed on my Tacoma and it ended up being a mistake, so next time around I'd want the 6' bed, which is only available with the smaller cab Ranger, which would not work well for my family.

I've spent quite a bit of time driving my dad's 2016 Tacoma lately and have become quite fond of it. Makes me miss my 2011.

Last edited by JDR76; 08-15-18 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 07:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would still choose a Tacoma over this. It may be unreasonable, but I have no desire to have a 4 cylinder turbo in a truck. .

And I have no desire to have a vehicle that has no height adjustment for the drivers seat.

As for a small turbo, meh. The old Toyota trucks and 4Runners from the 80s had them. Would love to see Toyota to offer it again. But yeah. Not a deal breaker.
Old 08-15-18, 07:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

And I have no desire to have a vehicle that has no height adjustment for the drivers seat. That is very unreasonable. I will spare the Tacoma on my c-channel frame comments

As for a small turbo, meh. The old Toyota trucks and 4Runners from the 80s had them. Would love to see Toyota to offer it again.
Yup, no one truck is right for everyone. Never once did it bother me that my old Tacoma didn't have a seat height adjustment so that's a non issue for me. And as a mechanical engineer with lots of history with channels, beams, and frames I have no hesitations about the C Channel. Very misunderstood on here.
Old 08-15-18, 08:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And as a mechanical engineer with lots of history with channels, beams, and frames I have no hesitations about the C Channel. Very misunderstood on here.
Hard to believe any rebuttal of a C-channel frame. Every truck in the US is now fully boxed aside from Toyota. All Toyota’s pick ups worldwide are fully boxed. Most past Toyota trucks were fully boxed. Sometime ya have to call Toyota out on what it is.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-15-18 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 08:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Hard to believe any defence of a C-channel frame. Every truck in the US is now fully boxed aside from Toyota. All Toyota’s pick ups worldwide are fully boxed. Most past Toyota trucks were fully boxed. Sometime ya have to call Toyota out on what it is.
Do you know the material specs, heat treatment, or even the thickness of the material being used? When you only focus on the shape and leave out these very important details, you cannot actually have a discussion about the strength of C Channel versus boxed. As I've said before, I can spec out a C Channel that's stronger than a boxed frame any day of the week. It all depends on the details.

The Tacoma frame is fully boxed up front, double C Channel in the middle, and single C Channel in the rear. Do I believe the Tacoma frame is less rigid than that of, say, the Colorado? Yes, I suspect it is (in the rearmost section, anyway), but would avoid calling out the Tacoma frame as insufficient because both designs have positives and negatives, and I do not have all of the material specs and design considerations that would definitively point to one being superior to the other.

The Tacoma's max payload (1620 lbs), by the way, is higher than the Colorado/Canyon (1576 lbs) or the Frontier (1502 lbs). So in what way is the C Channel insufficient or holding the Tacoma back?

Bringing this back to the Ranger (and because this C Channel discussion is tiring ), I haven't looked extensively but I haven't seen any Ranger specs for payload. I have read, however, that the Ranger's towing capacity is expected to be 7700 lbs, which will be far superior to anything else in the class, save the Canyon Diesel.

I think the Ranger will be a success, I just don't see it as a slam dunk and I don't think it will "dethrone" the Tacoma, but time will tell. I recall talk of how the GM twins would really damage the Tacoma but Tacoma sales are as strong as ever.
Old 08-15-18, 09:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Do you know the material specs, heat treatment, or even the thickness of the material being used? When you only focus on the shape and leave out these very important details, you cannot actually have a discussion about the strength of C Channel versus boxed. As I've said before, I can spec out a C Channel that's stronger than a boxed frame any day of the week. It all depends on the details.

The Tacoma frame is fully boxed up front, double C Channel in the middle, and single C Channel in the rear. Do I believe the Tacoma frame is less rigid than that of, say, the Colorado? Yes, I suspect it is (in the rearmost section, anyway), but would avoid calling out the Tacoma frame as insufficient because both designs have positives and negatives, and I do not have all of the material specs and design considerations that would definitively point to one being superior to the other.

The Tacoma's max payload (1620 lbs), by the way, is higher than the Colorado/Canyon (1576 lbs) or the Frontier (1502 lbs). So in what way is the C Channel insufficient or holding the Tacoma back?

Bringing this back to the Ranger (and because this C Channel discussion is tiring ), I haven't looked extensively but I haven't seen any Ranger specs for payload. I have read, however, that the Ranger's towing capacity is expected to be 7700 lbs, which will be far superior to anything else in the class, save the Canyon Diesel.

I think the Ranger will be a success, I just don't see it as a slam dunk and I don't think it will "dethrone" the Tacoma, but time will tell. I recall talk of how the GM twins would really damage the Tacoma but Tacoma sales are as strong as ever.
I don’t think there would be any argument whether a c channel vs boxed was superior if Toyota would of just boxed the Tundra and Tacoma. Same thing with the height adjustment for the driver seat. Dont get me wrong, I like Toyota Trucks, but I think there are definitely some deficiencies
Old 08-15-18, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

obviously going to be fans / support / bias toward the tacoma on here but i've no doubt this new ranger will be formidable competition to toyota simply because ford.
Old 08-15-18, 11:32 AM
situman
Pole Position

Well the chief engineer said the C channel helps keep the tires in contact with the surface during offroading. I would imagine the flex from the weaker torsional rigidity would accomplish it. Either way it is a cost saving measure and laziness.
Old 08-15-18, 11:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
obviously going to be fans / support / bias toward the tacoma on here but i've no doubt this new ranger will be formidable competition to toyota simply because ford.
Absolutely. At one point the Ranger was the best selling compact pickup so now with an allegedly much better vehicle, I dont see why it wouldnt again. The Ranger gives the HiLux serious competition overseas.

Quick Reply: 2019 Ford Ranger