Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 VW Jetta

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good attitude. never thought i'd own an american vehicle but love my jeep!

You had an Explorer before the Jeep, didn't you?
Old 01-17-18, 04:42 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just get an extended factory warranty, what's the big deal?
Since when does an extended warranty cover brake wear? The cost he referred to isn't just things that break--it's routine maintenance too.
Old 01-17-18, 07:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The interior is not my cup of tea, but the exterior isn't bad. Plain but inoffensive. Wonder if future Golf fronts will have a similar grill.
i think the problem here is that this is becoming less and less of a german vehicle when they make changes for US market... for instance, having torsion beam should not happen on a Jetta.
Old 01-17-18, 08:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think the problem here is that this is becoming less and less of a german vehicle when they make changes for US market... for instance, having torsion beam should not happen on a Jetta.
Jetta had an independent suspension since 2014. GLI models had it before that. They also had diesel options and turbo 4s for drivetrain options.
Old 01-17-18, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Jetta had an independent suspension since 2014. GLI models had it before that. They also had diesel options and turbo 4s for drivetrain options.

The American-market Jetta lost its multi-link suspension for the 2010 model year, switching to the torsion-beam. It was part of a large cost-cutting program that year as VW intentionally moved the Jetta down-market to compete with the Corolla and Civic.
Old 01-18-18, 07:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just get an extended factory warranty, what's the big deal?
LOL, why buy an extended warranty if they don't even want to cover items under the standard B-B warranty????

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I had a close friend (as close as a sister), who had a 2006 6 cyl 4Motion Passat purchased new. The amount of time and money she spent on that car, she could have gotten easily a AWD BMW 328, with a total overall lower cost. The worst of it all is the poor service, on top of how unreliable the car was. Maybe people had different experiences with FWD 4 cyls. Germans are always going to make more appealing cars imho, question is, at what cost. My relatives had a '99 Passat 4 cyl purchased at 2 y.o. It went 160k but needed tons of work, cousin was stubborn, but uncle who is a mechanic from Munich said junk this car, and they did.....this isn't about holding grudges, it's about sensibility. My advice would be work a little harder, and save up for a A4 or 328. Or, buy a Corolla used.

p.s. sis in law had a Passat TDI, and when the radiator exploded at 700 mi,, they were told it wasn't covered. My brother read them the riot act, and miraculously, the next day, it was covered. Then, the entire headlamp went out on one side, and once again, told not covered. VW got slapped with a class action and it was, you guessed it, covered. Bad corp policies
Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Can you imagine, under a full warranty, my brother was told he had to pay to have his headlight replaced, it's not covered. Then this happens. So this is one of those things, regardless of the duration of the warranty (I think VW bumped it up since their image got damaged), it is useless if at the dealer end, they reject claims. My sis in-law's Passat had 700 miles, and the dealer gave her a hard time about the radiator exploding.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...adlights.shtml
Old 01-18-18, 08:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
LOL, why buy an extended warranty if they don't even want to cover items under the standard B-B warranty????

My brother called me flustered, saying they had to pay for a new headlamp assembly on a brand new Passat. I told him that was total ****, it's a new car, it has a full b2b warranty. He said I know, but they said headlights are not covered.

I myself cannot stand cos. who force customers to go the class action route, which happened. And VW lost.

Long story short. When I was 19 y.o., I had a new Porsche. Before you start letting your imagination run wild, I've never owned a 911, and wish I did.

It needed a thermostat, and I was told it's under warranty, when I dropped it off. Unless I missed something (I only had it 2 years), they didn't offer loaners back then. When the car was ready, my buddy took me there and I was told it's $900, this actually isn't covered, they checked. So I arrogantly said, just give me a call when it's covered and free, and to the SA's surprise, we left. Three days later, he called and said everything is straightened out, there's no charge. When I got to the dealer, he said you have no idea what I did for you, Porsche is really tough when it comes to warranty claims. I looked him in the eye, and said, you didn't do anything for me. The car is under a full factory warranty, all you did was waste my time and give me an attitude. Good day.

I look back and say yeah, when I was 19, I was a Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces, blunt. Today, I wouldn't have said that, I'd just get my car, and leave, and never come back. But I can also tell you that dealership no longer exists.

p.s. those were the days, girls were impressed with the car (I don't think leasing was very popular so they assumed you were a rich kid, and I got to know Porsche Auto Recyclers aka PAR in Yonkers, NY--had to replace a brake caliper, 4 piston I believe, that I f'd up with a screwdriver doing the pads)
Old 01-18-18, 08:34 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

good attitude. never thought i'd own an american vehicle but love my jeep!
I'd like to try an American car at some point just to see how they drive for everyday/spirited driving. Owning a Mustang/Camaro at least once is like going to a ball game at least once in the US of A!
Old 01-18-18, 08:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You had an Explorer before the Jeep, didn't you?
not relevant, but yes, but before the 5 japanese cars and didn't think i'd try others.

Originally Posted by tex2670
Since when does an extended warranty cover brake wear? The cost he referred to isn't just things that break--it's routine maintenance too.
ok, so all cars have wear item costs in and out of warranty... so it doesn't matter. my point is, if one is concerned about cost outside warranty, get an extended warranty. i did that on my explorer and now my jeep just in case because i had concerns. on the explorer it was certainly a waste of money in the end and hopefully not needed on jeep either, but these days, with all the electrics/electronics anything that breaks can be major $.
Old 01-18-18, 09:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i did that on my explorer and now my jeep just in case because i had concerns. on the explorer it was certainly a waste of money in the end and hopefully not needed on jeep either, but these days, with all the electrics/electronics anything that breaks can be major $.
Bit, totally OT but what model GC did you get? Stepson's GF just leased a 17 GC with a 64K MSRP
Old 01-18-18, 10:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It does seem to be getting less and less 'Teutonic'. On the positive side, it's more masculine IMO than past Jetta's.
Old 01-18-18, 03:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Bit, totally OT but what model GC did you get? Stepson's GF just leased a 17 GC with a 64K MSRP
i have a 4x2 summit. 64k means an SRT (fire breathing, lol).
Old 01-18-18, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

not relevant, but yes, but before the 5 japanese cars and didn't think i'd try others.
OK...the way I understood your previous post, I thought it was relevant, since you said you thought you would never own an American product. I thought you owned the Explorer just before the Jeep.

Anyhow, I guess part of it IS irrelevant, since American, European, Japanese, or Korean, nowadays, often means little more than the company's nameplate.