Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(Briefly) checked out the new 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 08:57 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are you being serious?

being serious about it selling poorly?

Of course .

Fantastic vehicle, but aside from few weirdos like me, people don’t really buy wagons in the USA

Every single wagon I have owned since 1987 (except outback) has been discontinued after one model generation
Old 01-19-18, 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The black fender flares on a low, sleek Buick station wagon is absolutely laughable. There's simply no reason for it and it totally clashes with the rest of the body, which is going for an elegant look. At least with Audi, you can get them body-colored. Nearly every single Allroad ordered by Audi dealerships here in L.A. comes with the body-colored option, proving customers agree with us here- the black trim looks like garbage. I've always said, and I'll say it again: SUV's should look like SUV's. Sedans should look like sedans. Trucks should look like trucks. Station wagons should look like station wagons. Are we that desperate as a society to re-invent auto bodies just for the sake of helping automakers have the next new thing? I won't give in.
So you think, then, that the Tour-X will wind up like the last-generation Acura TL....having to go into the body shop, before customer-delivery, to have the cladding repainted body-color, like Acura had to do for its customers with the TL's bright-metal parrot-beak?

The sad part is this will sell very poorly and the announcement of its discontinuance will come in a few years,
It's probably too early to say that. It may (?) just appeal to some people who like the idea of an Outback or All-Road, but want an American nameplate (never mind the fact that it's, of course, a rebadged European Opel, or that Outbacks are built in Lafayette, Indiana with American labor). My Buick salesman told me he just ordered one for a guy actually trading in an Outback. Buick may have made a mistake, though, in not proving enough ground clearance for heavy snow like the Outback and All-Road have.....the Tour-X sits noticeably lower. Of course, however, to do that, it would have required a different suspension, steering system, and maybe a couple of other underbody parts, adding to development costs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-18 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I checked, it is indeed the cladding.
Yes, I agree. Sorry.....perhaps my intent in the previous post was unclear. What I meant say is that they wouldn't display a new car with pull-off stuff if it was not meant to be part of the car's trim.
Old 01-20-18, 06:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
as a wagon owner since 87 in the USA, agree 100%
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you and Fizzboy7. Other than Subaru, wagons just don't sell here in the U.S. even though IMO they are very nice looking and offer some practicality. The Regal will make an interesting addition to Buicks lineup but I doubt that it will sell very well.

There was some talk that Audi would discontinue the slow selling Allroad when the new gen A4 came out, but they kept it with the launch of the new gen. It's still a slow seller but doing better than before. Sales are dwarfed by those of the Q3 and Q5 in their own lineup.
Old 01-20-18, 07:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you and Fizzboy7. Other than Subaru, wagons just don't sell here in the U.S. even though IMO they are very nice looking and offer some practicality. The Regal will make an interesting addition to Buicks lineup but I doubt that it will sell very well.
being serious about it selling poorly?
Thanks, I don't think they are going to sell very many. However, those that they do have will sell without the big discount Buick cars seem to have these days.
Old 01-20-18, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, I don't think they are going to sell very many. However, those that they do have will sell without the big discount Buick cars seem to have these days.

When Buick first announced the Tour-X, I was a little skeptical myself, considering that the Outback pretty much has this corner of the market to itself....and the traditional American indifference to wagons. But, after seeing it in a static-review, I'm less skeptical now. Although the Outback has more ground clearance, a higher roof for more head/cargo room and probably a better AWD system, the Tour-X clobbers it on fit/finish, interior materials, general build-solidness, and (possibly) a more reliable engine...some of the Subaru boxer engines have had problems.
Old 01-20-18, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although the Outback has more ground clearance, a higher roof for more head/cargo room and probably a better AWD system, the Tour-X clobbers it on fit/finish, interior materials, general build-solidness, and (possibly) a more reliable engine...s.
Good thing you area comparing it to Subaru and not the Audi wagon or those from Mercedes or BMW.
Old 01-20-18, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good thing you area comparing it to Subaru and not the Audi wagon or those from Mercedes or BMW.
The Tour-X (roughly) overlaps the Outback's price-range, though base-model Outbacks start a few thousand dollars less (Buick, of course, is considered a premium nameplate). One mistake I think Buick is making with the Tour-X (I should have mentioned earlier, but I didn't) is not offering a six, like upper versions of the Outback do. To get the 3.6L V6 and 9-speed auto (same drivetrain as in my Lacrosse), one has to by-pass the wagon completely and get the upcoming sport-oriented Regal GS and its stiffer underpinnings.

Agreed it is not in the same price-range (or status) as the Audi/BMW/Mercedes...but a couple of things need to be noted. First, the Audi All-Road, despite its higher price, does not offer a V6 either (like the Tour-X, you're stuck with the 2.0T). Second, it's apples-and-oranges with Mercedes. They do not offer a C-Class wagon at all in the U.S. market, at least from what I could tell....one has to move up to the 64K E-Class wagon. Third, BMW does offer a 3-series Sport Wagon (about in the Audi All-Road's price range)...but it, too, lacks a V6 option. So, IMO, that begs the question.......what do you really get by spending more for the Germans? ....not to mention the fact that the Tour-X itself, being a re-badged Opel, is also German. At least the Outback offers a boxer/flat-six for what you'd pay for some versions of the four-cylinder Tour-X.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-18 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

this will sell like the bubonic plague in the u.s. hardly ANYONE wants a wagon when a cuv/suv is so much more useful.
Old 01-20-18, 12:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Subjective. Some are going to like that type of fender-trim....some aren't.

You'll also see it on the Audi All-Road, one of its competitors. The Outback had it in the past, but recently dropped it.

I don't love the fenders, but I have to agree that the look is consistent with other AWD wagon competitors.
Old 01-20-18, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hardly ANYONE wants a wagon when a cuv/suv is so much more useful.
Tell that to all the people driving Outbacks and Foresters.

I agree, though, that Buick is taking a big chance marketing it. Time will tell.
Old 01-20-18, 12:30 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I have a TSX Wagon. I was thinking of replacing it with the Buick Tour X. Saw it at my dealer, and the interior isn't what I want. My next stops are Jag and Benz for their wagons, next month.
The GS hatch has a nicer interior. I guess they are not going to make the wagon in GS trim...
Old 01-20-18, 12:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Motor Trend review:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/buick...-drive-review/

We appreciate the new button-free infotainment system, but generally the Regal’s cabin seems a little sterile now. Hard plastics mix with shiny woodlike accents, glossy aluminum trim, and an outdated-looking instrument cluster, hindering the car’s premium ambitions. Bottom line: there’s nothing really special about the cabin that makes buyers feel they are in for a treat when they sit in the front seat.
There's nothing special about Buick, period. A lot of buyers don't care about "special".
Old 01-20-18, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
There's nothing special about Buick, period.
Old 01-20-18, 01:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Tell that to all the people driving Outbacks and Foresters.
forrester is a cuv not a station wagon.

tree hugger outback buyers all live in oregon and vermont. kidding, but from sales figures looks like outback and forrester sell about in equal numbers which is very impressive for the outback, but it has a long reputation and history and loyal owners/buyers. as i think you know, i had a legacy wagon decades ago, the predecessor to the outback.

stumbled upon this website (a guy in holland!) for sales numbers... great resource.
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...ubaru-outback/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...baru-forester/

Quick Reply: (Briefly) checked out the new 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon