Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your OCD compulsions in parking lots . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 02:44 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Look on the ground for bird cr@p too.... Move accordingly.. .. ..

When the wind blows like the dickens from the (inserts compass), Do Not Park next to cars opposing the winds direction! Should said wind gust inflate their door like a sail, you could get the ding of lifetime!

I too park remotely.....
Old 01-23-18, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518

See the red rectangle thats how i park
Yeah.....I sometimes do that myself. But, if your wheels are far enough into the striped area, sometimes an over-zealous cop or Meter-Maid will actually ticket you or give you a warning for it (technically, that is a no-parking zone). I actually had that happen once, on a military base...an MP (Military Police) put a warning on my windshield. When I asked the Provost Marshal about it (the Commanding Officer on base for the MPs), he just smiled, apologized to me, tossed the slip out. and said that the MP who did it was new and inexperienced.
Old 01-23-18, 04:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i like to look at peoples tires to see who needs new tires, tire rotation, or an alignment
Old 01-23-18, 04:57 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah.....I sometimes do that myself. But, if your wheels are far enough into the striped area, sometimes an over-zealous cop or Meter-Maid will actually ticket you or give you a warning for it (technically, that is a no-parking zone). I actually had that happen once, on a military base...an MP (Military Police) put a warning on my windshield. When I asked the Provost Marshal about it (the Commanding Officer on base for the MPs), he just smiled, apologized to me, tossed the slip out. and said that the MP who did it was new and inexperienced.
I am cool with that i would take a pic of my car go to court and be yah i was parked like this and this is the reason why then show them the word "kike" scratched into my paint, as well as the $9200 in damage that happened to my car when it was vandalised lol.....i think since i am jewish i was hate crimed lmao

Originally Posted by BrownPride
That's exactly where I park every day at work. 20-30% of the car will be in the striped area. I often come back to find some ******** parked on or slightly over the line on the other side. Thankfully there is still enough room so that I don't get hit, but such behavior form others justifies why I park like a douche.
I agree man i walked out to my car to see a shopping cart had hit the front end i asked the guy who was parked in front of me and he said some guy did it and said "oh he has a lexus he can afford it"..its that type of mentality that pisses me off its complete bull***** that i cant have nice things because of the negligence of others.
Old 01-25-18, 08:44 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So I know all of us have nice cars that we take pride in, that we like to keep looking nice over the years. I know for daily drivers that can sometimes be tough, especially if you live up north or in really congested cities with no parking or really tight garages and tight street spots.

Anyways, when you enter a parking lot, what are the things you look for???

#1 for me is grade and buggies in the lot. Is there any damn way I can park uphill from the store, any way I can park to avoid buggies left haphazardly in the parking lot, I'm always thinking these things can take on a mind of their own, gravity takes effect, they slam into my car at 20mph. **** runs downhill, if I'm parked at the top of the hill, wayward buggies don't hit me.

#2 is there an island I can park next to??? this usually shields me from buggies and door dings from one side. Usually you can sneak right up the curb and leave a good 2 to 5 feet from the car/space next to you, where if they park in the lines there is no possible way they can ding you. Plus usually if you park on the far side of the island there are like 10-20 empty spaces on the other side that those idiots can go park in.

#3 In parking garages, its always safer to park in a space next to a pole, pull your car as close as possible to the pole, that creates more space on the other side for the other morons who might ding your door or run into you pulling in. I always try to back into parking spaces in a garage if that is feasible.

#4 If I am absolutely forced to park on the street, I make sure its a spot marked with lines and a good 2-3' between the cars(not much of a problem in Nashville). If its somewhere I know street parking is the only option, I drive my truck with its chrome bumpers, if they take a hit, it doesn't matter, if it leaves a mark, well then its character. Aftermarket bumpers are like $150 for a new front or rear, so it isn't a huge loss if somebody mildly dings me.
I do all this plus turn my tires full lock to the side that is most vulnerable to danger, to encourage someone to park & walk further from my car.
Old 01-26-18, 02:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

In the end, it really is not OCD, is it? It's more about respect for one's property, and that of others.

Rhetorical question: In your lifetime, how many times have you dented someone else's car, or ruined a rental car on purpose, or a loaner or a demo?

I would pretty much expect all on this thread to say never, not once, in either 18 years, or 80 years, of being alive. That's my expectation.

That ticked off Vic video, I talked to my boss who has a 16 y.o. driving a car that he provides and insures for ~ $1300 more than not/6 mos. Heagreed really that kids today (now YMMV) don't have that concept, where they wax the car, change the oil, take care of it as if it were their own. So maybe caring for our own cars and not harming those of others is as simple as how we were brought up.

Last weekend, after having to sit and wait for over 5 min., I got fed up. I got out of my car, walked up to the window of this fancy Tesla, and I said why don't you move your ****** car so that others can get by (I had already politely tapped my horn several times, to which he did not respond). No, I was not polite. The guy looks at me like I have three heads, and says, what? My guess is this guy is an Ivy League professor type, and could care less that all these people can not get by because he's double parked. I bet this guy a) didn't learn to drive until his 30's b) just has no manners in general c) would not care if he dented your door, or you, his