Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

salt damage / beet juice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 06:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Its effect can't necessarily be 100% eliminated, but taking the steps I outlined earlier (and that I have found, from experience, works), will go a long way.
Simply doing an undercarriage wash and washing the car won't get all the salt off like others have mentioned.
Do you really wash your car after every snowfall? I highly doubt it.

During a typical winter here, you'd have to wash your car every single day to really keep the salt off of it, and that's just not realistic at all. And then you have all the hard to reach areas that you can never high-pressure rinse anyways like door hinges and other areas of the door jambs, inner body panel cavities, inside frame rails and subframes, etc. Your typical car wash won't get half of it off.

There are products that you can spray on your chassis before winter to prevent salt damage, but like I said, 99.9% of people will NOT be doing that because it's a lot of work and a very messy process.
Old 01-25-18, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Road salt is ten times worse than any salt air you'll see in places like FL, hence why you won't see body rust on FL cars or if you do, it's extremely rare.
QED.
Old 01-26-18, 04:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
FL cars do have a ton of rust, but it's mainly going to be near the coastal areas and on stuff like undercarriage, engine hardware, etc.

You most likely will not see body rust on any FL car, it just doesn't happen.

I spent months looking for my LS this past fall and the main criteria was it had to be the right color and it had to be 100% rust free.

After contacting several dealerships and private sellers in FL, it became clear that FL cars are not as rust free as I'd liked. They all had plenty of rust in the areas I mentioned, so this shifted my focus on looking at TX cars and more western cars.

Even some of the Socal cars I looked at had surface rust underneath, and of course the ones that did lived right off the coast.

Ended up buying one that spent its entire life in Covina CA which is about an hour east of LA and it had zero rust anywhere. You will literally go to your Lexus dealer here in Chicago and look at some brand new cars on the lot that have more corrosion and rust than this car does.

Nothing is worse than getting a salt belt car though. Road salt is ten times worse than any salt air you'll see in places like FL, hence why you won't see body rust on FL cars or if you do, it's extremely rare.
Dunno, I think my experience is the opposite and it's what I was told on the other forum. There wont be rust on the undercarriage of a FLA car, and the cars would have to be splashed (or blown) by sea water, and the rust would be seen on the body or paintwork, and obvious. Not sure why engines would get rusty--one would think that would be more the case in the northeast, any place that the seal is absent such that spray can get under the hood (it does, I've lifted the hoods of rental cars in Québec and Ontario and seen that it got into the hood area). My car is from Naples, was serviced at the dealer there, and that is on the ocean.

One thing I was told by a friend living in FLA, was that he doesn't trust car dealerships in the Miami area and would never buy a used car there. My cousin bought a 530i wagon from a Miami dealership, clean carfax, and I think it basically personified what my buddy said about Miami dealerships....

edit p.s. I used to go to Covina when I had to visit offices in Chino, interesting area. Those were in my days when I loved Sonatas and grabbed them at the airport...again from what I was told it is not necessary to go inland, it all boils down to the sea water being able to be blown or splash the vehicles...also if salt belt cars were not able to be sold, likely 50% of the used car industry would be shuttered lol

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-26-18 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 04:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Difference is I put $5 in the tip bucket for a $27 carwash, and I pay $70 for a haircut and tip $20. All the guys at the carwash know me, they spray my cars off extra well before they go through the wash, do an extra good job at the end. Give my son lollipops when I bring him (he LOVES the carwash). People are so rude, don't even acknowledge the guys vacuuming up their filth and working hard in the cold and heat with a hello or a kind word, and just walk by the tip stand at the end. People who go places with me are always in awe of how everybody seems to know me and are happy to see me. Its not rocket science, I'm friendly, I talk to people around me regardless of whether they're sweeping floors or the owner of the establishment, and I tip well. My barber is a guy I've known for years and we're buddies, he always goes the extra mile too. We stay at the same hotel at the beach every year, have been for years and years. The bellmen and all fall all over themselves when we get out of the car, remember us from year to year. Anything we need when they see us in the lobby is taken care of immediately. Well worth an extra $20 bill when they haul all our crap around.

I'm a very good tipper for people who do a good job for me. Last night I was out to dinner with my partner and ran into a waiter my wife and I used to have at a restaurant we went to for years that closed and I hadn't seen him in about 2 years. We walked in and he throws up his hands and goes "Steve!" Asked me about my kids and all, we got free appetizers and at the end he got an awesome tip and a promise I'd bring my wife by and we'd see him soon.

Being gregarious and generous will have a HUGE impact on your life. IMHO its not about spending as little money as you can, its about the value you get for what you spend. Yeah tipping well and such costs me more dollars, but the value I get back overall is well, well worth it.
I hear you, that in life, you'll be much happier if you are generous to people....

Just yesterday I said to my wife, if there is camaraderie among Eagles fans, it sure doesn't have any effect on the way people drive....

I know that it's totally conceivable to pay a lot for haircuts, my former friend was spending like $65 on her 16 y.o. boy. But then again he's also the one who wanted $1,000 for his junior prom. haha

This is a can of worms, my buddy and I have discussed the 10% tithe thing....my father in-law is inflexible on it, as is his family and his dad (not brothers and sister)

But again, I see it. My buddy is looking to downsize his mcmansion, he claims it was all his wife's idea to rush and get this house, but anyway, he goes to Miami, and two college girls approach and he commits to $31/mo. to support a child in a 3rd world country. He said it makes him feel good, seriously. It did make me stop and think, I am talking about a $20/mo. car wash that I wonder if I should do it, or not. What I am saying I guess is the above was not planned, out of the blue, and now a monthly expenditure...I likely would not have done it....

A lot of these values I think go back to how our parents raised us. I can't see how being generous and gregarious could not be a good thing, well said.
Old 01-26-18, 09:21 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000

Is this for real?
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...oryId=98529510