Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New GM truck engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 05:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
They need to bring back the Bob Seger ads....
Wholeheartedly, 1000000% agree with this. Like a rock....lol
Old 01-26-18, 05:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again with trucks, for whatever reasons, especially full sized, I feel there is no alternative to USA made....my wife even asked me why when you like imports for cars, SUVs, etc.

At any rate, with the 2015 Suburban loaner we had, we kept it on full time 4WD, yet it did a bonafide 24 mpg on the highway, I believe due to the cylinder deactivation.....this was about 7 mpg better than the 2004 Yukon Denali that our uncle loaned us for our honeymoon (what the heck kind of honeymoon has father in-law, brother in-law, sister in-law, two of her kids, and my wife's bff and her bf coming along, and fuel was over $3 I remember lol)....
Old 01-26-18, 06:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again with trucks, for whatever reasons, especially full sized, I feel there is no alternative to USA made....my wife even asked me why when you like imports for cars, SUVs, etc.

At any rate, with the 2015 Suburban loaner we had, we kept it on full time 4WD, yet it did a bonafide 24 mpg on the highway, I believe due to the cylinder deactivation.....this was about 7 mpg better than the 2004 Yukon Denali that our uncle loaned us for our honeymoon (what the heck kind of honeymoon has father in-law, brother in-law, sister in-law, two of her kids, and my wife's bff and her bf coming along, and fuel was over $3 I remember lol)....
Agree completely. American cars are decent, much better than they were, but full size American trucks are excellent and pretty much always have been.

I see all the brand new Tundras (which are nice, great too) and Titans and just wonder "why". Why on earth would you not get a GMC? (Or whatever brand you prefer.)

My Yukon has been in the family since new, I got the pink slip a few years ago and I drive my LS430 about 5% of the time. I just like trucks can't explain it. Why not leave the LS as a garage queen for special occasions and trips. I just had the exhaust upgraded, sounds like a Corvette haha it even crackles when you let off the gas lol. You can have a 450HP V6 Ecoboost but it will never sound remotely as good. I guess that's the southerner in me.
Old 01-29-18, 08:51 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Agree completely. American cars are decent, much better than they were, but full size American trucks are excellent and pretty much always have been.

I see all the brand new Tundras (which are nice, great too) and Titans and just wonder "why". Why on earth would you not get a GMC? (Or whatever brand you prefer.)
I will tell you why. There are 2 reasons: 1) Because nobody blends quality and reliability like the Japanese, and that's a fact. Tundra's and Titan's are more reliable than their counterparts, though the margins are slim. My Ram, while mechanically flawless, has a paint issue. My dad has owned nothing but F150's for 15 years (3 trucks now), and every one of them needed a tranny before 80k. His 09 King Ranch has had 2 rebuilds in 100k. My brother has had 4 F150's in 5 years (he averages 100k a year for his business) and has had a tranny rebuild in each one. He has also needed the rear diff replaced in one of them, and they are constantly eating U-joints and front end parts. His 2016 XLT with the 2.7L EcoBoost has a recurring CEL that won't stay away, despite 3 trips to the dealer. I have friends who have GMC/Chevy 1500's and they have everything from electrical gremlins (Hit a bump, engine shuts off), to strange vibrations coming from the driveline at highway speeds.

American trucks are good. They are miles ahead of where they were just 10 years ago, let alone 20. But they are just not as good as the 2 Japanese half-tons you can buy now.

The 2nd reason is customer service after the sale. Japanese brands are just better at it. With the big three, once they have the money and you have the truck, they could care less.
Old 01-29-18, 09:10 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 184 Posts

Looks to me like more of a flashy refresh of the current generation of Silverados/Sierras than a whole new generation. The interior leaves a bit to be desired, way too similar to the outgoing model. I'm surprised GM hasn't gone the route of the 07-13 models and swapped the interior (dash, door panels, etc) of the higher trims with those of the Tahoe/Yukon and kept the truck interior to the lower trims.

Can't really say I'm impressed. I'd like to assume the 2020 models of the Yukon, Tahoe, and Escalade will be a redesign, hopefully those will be more of a change than their trucks are.