Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: BMW, Audi, Mercedes?
Mercedes
32.69%
BMW
15.38%
Audi
36.54%
None
19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking of leaving Lexus. Which european performance car would you go with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 09:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
I personally think the Cclass is hideous- both coupe and sedan. Eclass is even worse.
New CLS53 looks great though.
I agree with you on the C and E Class. I don’t find the styling appealing at all. Though I think I’m the only person on this forum who sees an S Class and thinks “I just don’t get it”. Mercedes sedan styling of late just isn’t for me.

If I were to ditch my GS (unlikely) and leave Lexus I’d either bump up to a 5 Series or down to a Stinger.
Old 01-28-18, 05:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

I agree with you on the C and E Class. I don’t find the styling appealing at all. Though I think I’m the only person on this forum who sees an S Class and thinks “I just don’t get it”. Mercedes sedan styling of late just isn’t for me.

If I were to ditch my GS (unlikely) and leave Lexus I’d either bump up to a 5 Series or down to a Stinger.
Same with me on the MB styling and the overall presumptuousness it exudes (to me), though personally prefer it over most BMW sedans as they are still too sedate - same can be said with Audi.

If reliability is tops for you, (as you very well know ) keep the GS. The Stinger is untested on durability and I've chosen to be the guinea pig.
Old 01-28-18, 09:25 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Get the Kia Stinger GT 3.3L

Apparently there are piggyback ECUs that are undetectable by the dealership and will get you 400 whp on stock internals.
Old 01-28-18, 09:52 AM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I voted Audi for the S5 Sportback. That is the only car that would get me to leave mine. Great reviews on performance and not as expensive as an A7. Benz is starting to look the same across their class lineups and there are SO many of the used C and E classes on the road. I just don't see many older BMWs on the road and I would LOVE to own/drive an M3.
Old 01-28-18, 10:05 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...el-forthcoming
Old 01-29-18, 11:06 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Just sold my 650i Gran Coupe. LOVED the car. I tried to find a logical reason to keep it. I also debated going to an M6.

4 visits to the dealership in a year and half (under warranty for ignition coils, MAF, spark plugs, HP fuel pump) and a frank conversation with a BMW Service advisor made me sell it and not get another BMW. Glad to be in a Lexus GSF!

Everything is relative when it comes to performance and everyone has a different definition. There is always going to be a car faster than you. I bought the GSF for its handling, reliability, luxury, and decent performance.
Old 01-30-18, 09:53 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Get the Kia Stinger GT 3.3L

Apparently there are piggyback ECUs that are undetectable by the dealership and will get you 400 whp on stock internals.
Agree. Lexus will now have to battle the Koreans, as well as the Germans, for my money! Actually I can understand the topic title...there is currently nothing in the Lexus range that I feel excited about. With only 12 new or refreshed models in 2018 it limits the options even more.
Old 01-31-18, 08:17 AM
2008GS
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by webra

Agree. Lexus will now have to battle the Koreans, as well as the Germans, for my money! Actually I can understand the topic title...there is currently nothing in the Lexus range that I feel excited about. With only 12 new or refreshed models in 2018 it limits the options even more.
KIA is using the Lexus strategy against Lexus...build a better, higher quality car for thousands less than the competition. I must say the Stinger is a GS copycat. Stlying very similar to my 08 GS350. They are beating Lexus at their own game. No exciting new models at Lexus, although I would LOVE to have an RCF or GSF. Lexus needs exciting mainstream products. The LS500 and LC500 are fabulous but not mainstream products.
Old 01-31-18, 08:31 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008GS
KIA is using the Lexus strategy against Lexus...build a better, higher quality car for thousands less than the competition. I must say the Stinger is a GS copycat. Stlying very similar to my 08 GS350. They are beating Lexus at their own game. No exciting new models at Lexus, although I would LOVE to have an RCF or GSF. Lexus needs exciting mainstream products. The LS500 and LC500 are fabulous but not mainstream products.
Kia cannot beat Lexus at its own game because they have different core markets.

Higher quality than a Lexus? That is still a fantasy right now. Maybe in the future.
Old 02-01-18, 08:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs

Higher quality than a Lexus? That is still a fantasy right now. Maybe in the future.
I disagree - they can definitely win over Lexus customers who aren't Lexus fans/loyalists by offering similar capabilities at a more affordable price. That, however, may be a small subset of Lexus buyers, since the badge plays into the decision quite heavily. Genesis, etc. will have to earn the badge appeal over time. But, Lexus had to do that as well back in the 90s.
Old 02-01-18, 09:31 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs

Check Alex on Autos review of the KIA Cadenza. KIA actually builds a better ES350.
Old 02-01-18, 09:45 AM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I would definitely say Mercedes as it shares a lot of similarities to Lexus - well built, respectable, with a dynamic edge. I almost bought one myself, before I ended up with the 2IS. The Mercs feel a little less modern and cutting-edge to me, although that's part of the charm.

Personally never enjoyed Audi handling or BMW looks.
Old 02-01-18, 11:15 AM
2008GS
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=arentz07;10100211]I disagree - they can definitely win over Lexus customers who aren't Lexus fans/loyalists by offering similar capabilities at a more affordable price. That, however, may be a small subset of Lexus buyers, since the badge plays into the decision quite heavily. Genesis, etc. will have to earn the badge appeal over time. But, Lexus had to do that as well back in the 90s.

Agreed
Old 02-01-18, 11:16 AM
2008GS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Check Alex on Autos review of the KIA Cadenza. KIA actually builds a better ES350.
My point exactly.
Old 02-01-18, 12:46 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like a few others here, I will go out on a limb and say, try a Porsche. A used, CPO, can be had well within your budget, and they are awesome vehicles. I was going to get another RX, but just cannot get past the styling, tried the Merc, was not impressed, almost bought an Audi, that is until a drove a Porsche. Puts a smile on my face every morning when I get in!

Last edited by Orzel; 02-01-18 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Quick Reply: Thinking of leaving Lexus. Which european performance car would you go with?