Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The importance of the car dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18 | 09:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You'd probably sing a different tune if you had my dentist. With his excellent fees, work, and care to not be painful, you'd look forward to appointments.
no disagreement, i said i'd RATHER go to the dentist than a car dealer, so my dentist, like yours, is decent.
Old 01-28-18 | 03:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no disagreement, i said i'd RATHER go to the dentist than a car dealer, so my dentist, like yours, is decent.
OK, Gotcha.

Dealership experiences, though, don't have to compare to having one's teeth drilled....that's a long-held but (sometimes) inaccurate stereotype. The key, IMO, is to find good people and stick with them. Besides the Lacrosse's comfort level and road manners, one of the reasons why I chose it over several worthy competitors (including the well-built Genesis G80), was the exemplary service and previous experience I had, not only from the Chevy/Buick/GMC dealership in general (especially my Service Advisor, who everybody likes, and gets superlative ratings on Yelp reviews). I'm a firm believer in sticking with people who treat you well....it pays off does the road if you have unforeseen problems. I also remember, when I had my Saturn SL2, no matter where you took it in the Saturn "retailer" network, you were always teated well.....the reason so many customers liked the company was obvious. Saturn even sent me D.C. auto show passes in the mail each year....didn't even have to go to the dealership to ask for them LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-18 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-28-18 | 04:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The main complaint you'll hear from people about dealers will be about the buying process, not about the facility or amenities. And this is the fault of the manufacturer for allowing it to be set-up this way. The problem is the big gray area of pricing, where there's a cost and a msrp, and all the bargaining, games, deceit, and flaking that takes place on both sides. It's a brutal act for most to go through, and many cave in and get hosed in the end. Personally, I'm okay with it because it's easy to be educated and armed. But perhaps manufacturers could cut out a lot of the gap between cost and msrp, make much less on the sale of a car, and focus more on the service end of it. If decent money can be made with the servicing to support the dealer and manufacturer, everyone wins and the buyer has no bad experience to go through. Happy customers can also lead to increased sales.
The process is not simple; however, anyone who is actually AT the dealer negotiating the price is just doing it wrong.
Old 01-28-18 | 05:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I've never seen combined Lexus/Toyota or Honda/Acura (meaning both cars in the same showroom floor--not meaning the same dealership but separate buildings).
There are a few left from what I understand. Performance Lexus/Toyota on the way from Niagara Falls to Toronto is still a split dealer with half on one side of the building and half on the other side.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lexus of Silver Spring where I bought my 2017 LS still does pick up and drop off for service. Their dealership is old, it’s one of the original Lexus dealers (all new one is coming in 2020), no interior service lane, etc. However their service is much better than at Rockville nowadays, which is a modern very impressive dealer.

I’ve gotten away from paying dealer service prices in recent years, but I may take them up on the pick up/drop off.
Is Rockville bad or just not as good? That is pretty sweet that they will pick up your car and drop it off. I looked up Longo Lexus and they will flatbed your Lexus to and from wherever it is going. I wonder if there is a sign on the flatbed truck that says "This Lexus product did not break down, we pick up and drop off for service"
Old 01-28-18 | 05:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

the purchase process... even less reason to go to the dealer! many dealers will now bring the car to you. plus shopping over the internet is far better until you absolutely have to go to the dealer to do a test drive and suffer the inane conversation and cluelessness of most salespeople. and don't get me started on the actual purchase process. no matter how shiny the tile and marble and granite, the high ceilings, coffee bars, etc., you have to go through the awful a) sales process, then b) f&i shake down, and c) wait for the car... it takes WAAAAAAAY too long because the dealers want to wear you down.
^^^This is not exactly universal. Not everyone fears or is turned off about dealers, they are important. While I do agree that dealing with the salesperson does leave a lot to be desired, my comments were more about how a new spacious dealer with new modern amenities (such as a while you wait oil change line) or a one stop shop such as a body shop, detailing, car rental, or what not in the same facility has a leg up and advantage over a smaller dealer that has chosen not to upgrade. Was curious because when I went to check out the Stinger, it looked like it was at a dealer that was built in the 80's and was perhaps a previous car dealer for another manufacturer. To compare it, I went by Lexus and then Audi on the same evening and there was just no comparison whatsoever in how a modern dealer showcased the car and pushed the brand.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-18 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-28-18 | 06:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The main complaint you'll hear from people about dealers will be about the buying process, not about the facility or amenities. And this is the fault of the manufacturer for allowing it to be set-up this way. The problem is the big gray area of pricing, where there's a cost and a msrp, and all the bargaining, games, deceit, and flaking that takes place on both sides. It's a brutal act for most to go through, and many cave in and get hosed in the end. Personally, I'm okay with it because it's easy to be educated and armed. But perhaps manufacturers could cut out a lot of the gap between cost and msrp, make much less on the sale of a car, and focus more on the service end of it. If decent money can be made with the servicing to support the dealer and manufacturer, everyone wins and the buyer has no bad experience to go through. Happy customers can also lead to increased sales.
I don't exactly agree. I think part of the issue is that people do not like/want to part with $30K or $40K or whatever the price is of their money, this is why they don't like buying cars or the process. This is a big hurdle to most people and it all conflicts with the desire and emotional response they are having to a brand of car or model. Given enough opportunity or time and most buyers will cool off and rethink what they wanted or were hoping to buy, so getting them to say yes to a car is essential and you don't have much opportunity to do it. IMO, a good salesperson should know exactly how much pressure to apply to a specific car buyer, not everyone is the same and too much or too little just ruins it. I remember back in 89 or 90, Lexus even promoted in their brochures that when you walk into a Lexus dealer, you will only be greeted by a receptionist or host. A salesperson will not approach you. This still happens for every BMW, MB, Audi or Lexus dealer I have been too in modern times.. Not so for Cadillac. Toyota and Honda seem to have a superior shopping experience than General Motors from my visits.

If decent money can be made with the servicing to support the dealer and manufacturer, everyone wins and the buyer has no bad experience to go through. Happy customers can also lead to increased sales.
Car buyers will find a way in some way or another to try and strip all the money a dealer or service location has.
Old 01-28-18 | 07:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

the purchase process... even less reason to go to the dealer! many dealers will now bring the car to you. plus shopping over the internet is far better until you absolutely have to go to the dealer to do a test drive and suffer the inane conversation and cluelessness of most salespeople. and don't get me started on the actual purchase process. no matter how shiny the tile and marble and granite, the high ceilings, coffee bars, etc., you have to go through the awful a) sales process, then b) f&i shake down, and c) wait for the car... it takes WAAAAAAAY too long because the dealers want to wear you down.
Absolutely right.

I explain to them right away that I am NOT buying a car today. I would like a test drive as im considering several cars etc.
Its still about 1 hour process just to get a 5min test drive.

My advice to Kia, Cadillac or any brand looking for new customers - let your product sell itself and provide test drive program eliminating the dealer like Tesla.
Old 01-28-18 | 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Absolutely right.

I explain to them right away that I am NOT buying a car today. I would like a test drive as im considering several cars etc.
Its still about 1 hour process just to get a 5min test drive.

My advice to Kia, Cadillac or any brand looking for new customers - let your product sell itself and provide test drive program eliminating the dealer like Tesla.
when I went to look at the Stinger. It was a pathetic experience. First the person who greeted me tried to sell me the stinger the moment I walked in the door. Then for reason, the young person not a day over 25 did not realize I was more than twice his age, very likely I was not the demo. But I never once said I was looking for that particular car . On to the car, they would not let me test drive the new stinger as he said I need to pre-qualify (whatever that meant). So when I stepped into the car, nothing worked as the battery was disconnected. He highlighted the hatch back but could not open it. And finally the owner had a blue GT outside, he said that should be open but it was not. Best part, he gave me a business card but forgot to ask my name and follow up phone number.

But back to test drives, 90 percent of the time, never had a problem getting a test drive with 10 minutes of walking into the door of a dealer.
Old 01-28-18 | 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is Rockville bad or just not as good? That is pretty sweet that they will pick up your car and drop it off. I looked up Longo Lexus and they will flatbed your Lexus to and from wherever it is going. I wonder if there is a sign on the flatbed truck that says "This Lexus product did not break down, we pick up and drop off for service"
I used Rockville for years and they were excellent, and they're about 4 miles from my house. But, they have a new General Manager and they've started doing petty things like charging $5 for a loaner on top of a $250 oil change and tire rotation, which is just a slap in the face, just make the service $255! The last straw for me was when I had a tire that needed plugged, but I had a full day and couldn't wait around. Rockville charges $70 to patch a tire, which is insane but at least I would get a loaner and not have to sit there for 3 hours. They wouldn't give me a loaner, despite having had my cars serviced there for 15 years and having bought 3 cars from them. I called Silver Spring from the waiting room, not only were they delighted to give me a loaner, they only charged $40 to patch the tire. The folks at Rockville watched me make the call and let me leave. So, no more Rockville for me.
Old 01-28-18 | 11:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I used Rockville for years and they were excellent, and they're about 4 miles from my house. But, they have a new General Manager and they've started doing petty things like charging $5 for a loaner on top of a $250 oil change and tire rotation, which is just a slap in the face, just make the service $255! The last straw for me was when I had a tire that needed plugged, but I had a full day and couldn't wait around. Rockville charges $70 to patch a tire, which is insane but at least I would get a loaner and not have to sit there for 3 hours. They wouldn't give me a loaner, despite having had my cars serviced there for 15 years and having bought 3 cars from them. I called Silver Spring from the waiting room, not only were they delighted to give me a loaner, they only charged $40 to patch the tire. The folks at Rockville watched me make the call and let me leave. So, no more Rockville for me.
gotta love when new managers come in and sell owners the story of increasing the prices and lowering the paychecks... it happens in every industry, usually does not end well.
Old 01-28-18 | 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
gotta love when new managers come in and sell owners the story of increasing the prices and lowering the paychecks... it happens in every industry, usually does not end well.
Yep, agreed. I called and left a message for the GM after I picked the car up from Silver Spring to tell him how disappointed I was, he never called me back. I left a Yelp review and he commented on that "Please reach out to me at XXX so I can make sure that you are satisfied next time"....well...if he cared he could have returned the message I left him lol.

So, for a $5 loaner charge, and refusing to let me use a car they just had sitting there during a tire patch that was pure profit they lost the business of a 15 year long customer who buys a new Lexus every 3 years. Smart. When I bought my LS460L I didn't even call them.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-28-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-28-18 | 04:25 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

People shouldn't downplay the importance of facilities. It makes the first impression on a customer when it comes to the brand "experience," especially for luxury brands as those vehicles sell more based on "emotion" than mainstream cars do.

It's part of the reason why Hyundai probably has issues convincing BMW, Lexus, etc. customers to buy their G90. You feel "cheap" just pulling into the lot of the average Hyundai dealer.
Old 01-28-18 | 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, agreed. I called and left a message for the GM after I picked the car up from Silver Spring to tell him how disappointed I was, he never called me back. I left a Yelp review and he commented on that "Please reach out to me at XXX so I can make sure that you are satisfied next time"....well...if he cared he could have returned the message I left him lol.

So, for a $5 loaner charge, and refusing to let me use a car they just had sitting there during a tire patch that was pure profit they lost the business of a 15 year long customer who buys a new Lexus every 3 years. Smart. When I bought my LS460L I didn't even call them.

Part of the problem with tire-patching is that a lot of dealerships won't do the simple plugs any more for small nail/screw-punctures in the tread area (with a radial tire, of course, if it's above the tread area, on the sidewall, the tire has to be replaced...you can't safely repair it at all). But, anyhow, the plugs were a lot simpler (and cheaper) because it was a simple operation, where the tire usually didn't even have to come off the rim and be re-mounted and balanced. I had to have several of them done on my Verano and Outback, and they were only about $20-30 each....I think one at a local service-station was only $10 or $15. Never had any problem with any of them. But some dealerships won't do the simple seal-plugs anymore. They (now) claim that all tire repairs have to be patches made from inside, and that the patches are safer (might be some truth to that....I'm not a tire engineer). And a Virginia State safety-inspection won't allow more than one plug on a tire.....it has to be replaced. But, the way I drive, I've never had any problem with plugs.....I think it is just a ploy to get rid of the simple $20-30 plug-repairs where there's no profit.

The filp side to that nonsense, of course, is that one can buy the road-hazard warranty with a new car......that will usually cover all tire repairs/replacements from punctures like that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-18 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-28-18 | 04:48 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

when I went to look at the Stinger. It was a pathetic experience. First the person who greeted me tried to sell me the stinger the moment I walked in the door. Then for reason, the young person not a day over 25 did not realize I was more than twice his age, very likely I was not the demo. But I never once said I was looking for that particular car . On to the car, they would not let me test drive the new stinger as he said I need to pre-qualify (whatever that meant).
I remember reading somewhere that you can’t even get a test drive on a Kia Soul without “pre qualifying “ or something like that. It seems Kia dealerships get a large portion of subprime credit barrowers so maybe that’s the reason they subject potential customers to such demeaning ordeals. I see the buying process changing into a more simpler process that favors buyers, but don’t expect to see that change quickly. Dealerships will fight to the very end to keep the status quo in place.

Last edited by Propulsion; 01-28-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-28-18 | 07:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by BrownPride
People shouldn't downplay the importance of facilities. It makes the first impression on a customer when it comes to the brand "experience," especially for luxury brands as those vehicles sell more based on "emotion" than mainstream cars do.

It's part of the reason why Hyundai probably has issues convincing BMW, Lexus, etc. customers to buy their G90. You feel "cheap" just pulling into the lot of the average Hyundai dealer.
When I got my '17 A4, it was delivered to me outdoors, wet/rainy, with keys handed to me alone to check it out on my own. My salesman wasn't even there with me and the Audi dealer lacked the proper delivery facility. Not impressed with this and the seed was planted to not enjoy the experience and eventually the car. 6 weeks later, I traded the A4 for the IS.

As for the Stinger, the dealership is small, cramped parking, etc but it didn't bother me since my expectations were low. Also, the staff has been so friendly without any pressure tactics negating the shortcomings of the facility. In short, facility is important, but not as much as the people in it.

Quick Reply: The importance of the car dealer