Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mistake aiming at millennials?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 09:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Lexus has already alienated younger buyers (the ones that actually purchase luxury cars). We're approaching what, 13 or 14 years on the current 2GR-FSE powertrain with literally zero changes? When it came out, it was an industry leading engine. Now it's outperformed by Kia (and all other peers). Do you remember where Kia was 12 years ago? Take the new 2.0T Lexus has; it's already in last place in power and torque among Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, should I keep going?

Lexus's navigation system was an industry leader in 2005. Again, where are they now? Low resolution screens compared to peers. One of the worst user interfaces with the touch pad and mouse controller. Lack of adoption of industry-standard Apply Carplay and Android Auto. Did you know that if you don't pay Lexus $250+ a year for Enform, they disable the remote start on your key fob (that has *nothing* to do with Enform?!?)

Mmarshall, Lexus doesn't need to change everything into a sport-oriented thing. It only needs to do so for *specific trim levels* 3 cars; the IS, the GS, and the RC. We all know the problems with the RC; what about the IS? Why is there no IS-F? What Lexus does someone who wants power and handling purchase? As an example, the W205 C300 is not a sporty car. The B9 A4 is not a sporty car. The C43 is tied with the S4 for class-leading. Same model, totally different behavior.

Lexus reliability isn't the advantage it was, anymore. My 2013 QX60, 2015 QX60, 2012 S4, and 2016 C63S have all been just as reliable as my 2006 IS250 and 2007 IS350. This isn't something they can coast on anymore.

In short, as a former IS350 owner and Lexus fan, I've been disappointed with every decision they've made regarding their product offerings for 10 years, likely for the same reasons as most here. I don't want every Lexus to be a sports-car, I want Lexus to keep their direction as it was and make an actual sporty car like a new IS-F.
One thing that can't be faked, imho, is torque. It's physics. How many iterations of the very same motor, can have say 290 HP, to 330 HP, yet the very same 260-270 lbs. ft. of torque? The HP is for marketing purposes....

How about GM? They have motors that were used from 2009-2017 basically unchanged, and then into a new generation of the vehicle, for 2018? How about the new Camry? Motors need to evolve imho, and need R&D to do so. For Lexus to come out with a turbo V6, must have taken some R&D, just that it wasn't done to please the buyers, likely more for cafe....
Old 02-07-18, 09:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
For Lexus to come out with a turbo V6, must have taken some R&D, just that it wasn't done to please the buyers, likely more for cafe....
Toyota makes their own turbo engines. Do you happen to know what other makes do?
Old 02-07-18, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota makes their own turbo engines. Do you happen to know what other makes do?
Mitsubishi has made their own turbochargers for years. In fact, some automakers used to buy them for their own engines.

http://www.mitsubishi-engine.com/rev/s/turbocharger
Old 02-07-18, 10:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mitsubishi has made their own turbochargers for years. In fact, some automakers used to buy them for their own engines.

Thanks for the info
Old 02-07-18, 10:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I don't think of Mitsubishi as being a top tier mfg, maybe it's just me. It's a lower cost alternative if one is looking for a turbo replacement for say a BMW N54. What would kind of get my attention, is when a Mitsubishi costs new, what a OE costs rebuilt. I've played that game with my Maxima starter, failed 2X, brand new with lifetime warranty. The warranty is great, but the labor is eaten each time. A Lexus tech (wife's BFF's hubby) told me always rebuild these parts yourself, it will be much better than any "new" or remanufactured. Easier said than done, I watched a youtube of a guy rebuilding a 4 piston caliper, and I never tried with a starter motor.....
Old 02-07-18, 11:03 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice read.Enjoying the comments.
Old 02-07-18, 06:53 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I read what you are saying and you have some fair opinions on the subject. What era does your QX60s source their engines from? And in 2016 were you able to access Apple Car Play or Android auto on the 16 QX?

was not aware that Lexus charges you $250 and your remote start disables. Yes the Lexus engines have been languishing for a while, but Lexus Ls400 kept its 4.0 for a long while, so did the LX470. Can’t rememer the 90s Camrys did. I think the Lexus RX was a 3.3 for 10* years. I do agree, it is a very General Motors thing to do.
The QX60 was launched as the JX35 as a 2013 model, using the standard Nissan VQ35 variant. The engine is not so important in this as it's an SUV, in contrast with the IS and GS which offer F-Sport versions. I bought it because I wanted a modern 7 passenger crossover with actual rear cargo room. In 2013, there was no direct competitor for this car based upon this simple criteria at the same price point (low 50s). I bought the second one because Infiniti gave me a phenomenal deal on it.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Some valid points here, but I can't think of anything that uses the 2GR-FSE. Hasn't it been retired? I believe it's been updated to the 2GR-FKS in all current year applications.
Originally Posted by arentz07
2017 was the last year it was used in the IS, and I think the RC as well. 2018 saw both models adopt the FKS. I am pretty sure that was the last time it was used - seems like it was reserved for the IS, RC, and GS lines.
My apologizes for not being aware. I still hold the same opinion, as updating VVT for 5 hp/lb-ft is hardly worth talking much about. That's less than one could gain by putting the F Sport Intake and Exhaust on my 2IS.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
One thing that can't be faked, imho, is torque. It's physics. How many iterations of the very same motor, can have say 290 HP, to 330 HP, yet the very same 260-270 lbs. ft. of torque? The HP is for marketing purposes....

How about GM? They have motors that were used from 2009-2017 basically unchanged, and then into a new generation of the vehicle, for 2018? How about the new Camry? Motors need to evolve imho, and need R&D to do so. For Lexus to come out with a turbo V6, must have taken some R&D, just that it wasn't done to please the buyers, likely more for cafe....
Are we talking about Cadillac? The ATS has had a 2.0T since 2013. I don't worry much about Chevy or Toyota branded cars because they aren't competitors as long as they aren't outclassing Lexus (for the sake of this discussion).

Last edited by Infra; 02-07-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 07:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Lexus is confused and very well should be with the responses on this forum if we take the forum as a means to gain insight on their core demographic.

their demo clamors about reliability, something they (including myself) hate to loose over Germans who make ****boxes that need constant care.
How would Lexus or any carmaker make a reliable high performance vehicle when reliability and performance really have not worked together ever.

Their demo clamors for performance handling....their demo clamors for being more then a snooze inducing appliance
They make a car that performs well....No one buys it over a similar but poorly handling 5 series

So Lexus basically raised the flag, and was like you know what will work, if we disguise our normal boring yet reliable engines with some fance bodywork...And you know what that thing has worked wonders for the Lexus's bottom end so who cares. And to be honest, if you look at all the forums, you have many posts about how the predator grill is terrible, and Lexus is inferior to other automakers in performance but they`re still moving units to both millennial and older buyer since your retaining the thing that made the brand, but also appealing to new younger buyers with the design.
Old 02-08-18, 07:09 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,781 Likes on 1,919 Posts

My apologizes for not being aware. I still hold the same opinion, as updating VVT for 5 hp/lb-ft is hardly worth talking much about. That's less than one could gain by putting the F Sport Intake and Exhaust on my 2IS.
Well, it did in fact get updated, and has a new engine code. It wasn't just VVT either - it has a higher redline (6800 versus 6600) and can run on the Atkinson cycle.

I'm not sure these updates are enough to justify using it in yet another generation of vehicles. It still doesn't have the fuel economy numbers that would be needed.
Old 02-08-18, 07:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Are we talking about Cadillac? The ATS has had a 2.0T since 2013. I don't worry much about Chevy or Toyota branded cars because they aren't competitors as long as they aren't outclassing Lexus (for the sake of this discussion).
Actually no, that V6 that GM uses in many different cars, 3.6 liters, LLT/LFX. The HP runs the gamut, from I believe anywhere from 28x, to 335, but none of them have more than around 285 ft. lbs. (can't, it's physics, no amount tuning can get around it--only refinement and development can do that) The peak HP will be advertised at an absolutely unusable rpm. If the motor doesn't implode, it would certainly be shaking badly to say the least...
Old 02-08-18, 09:07 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, it did in fact get updated, and has a new engine code. It wasn't just VVT either - it has a higher redline (6800 versus 6600) and can run on the Atkinson cycle.

I'm not sure these updates are enough to justify using it in yet another generation of vehicles. It still doesn't have the fuel economy numbers that would be needed.
These engines are new; only the aluminum engine block remains from the old, original GR engines but all moving bits, like the valvetrain, is new. They run on an on-demand high-efficiency Atkinson cycle or high-power Otto cycle, depending on load.

No other automakers offer this cycle switch. Any engine that offers these multi-function modes -- like adding a turbocharger -- requires some fine-tuning before the automaker gets the right balance between efficiency and power. Not all automakers, for example, have gotten the balance right with turbochargers.
Old 02-08-18, 02:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,781 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
These engines are new; only the aluminum engine block remains from the old, original GR engines but all moving bits, like the valvetrain, is new. They run on an on-demand high-efficiency Atkinson cycle or high-power Otto cycle, depending on load.

No other automakers offer this cycle switch. Any engine that offers these multi-function modes -- like adding a turbocharger -- requires some fine-tuning before the automaker gets the right balance between efficiency and power. Not all automakers, for example, have gotten the balance right with turbochargers.
Cool. Perhaps with better tuning, newer transmissions, etc. it can stay competitive. Would love to see another round of lovely NA V-6 engines, since we pretty much know they'll be gone before long.