Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mistake aiming at millennials?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 03:25 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I think Lexus lost its way back around 2005. The early LS400 was actually a better car in many ways than the large Mercedes at the time. The motto "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" actually meant something. The LS460 when it was introduced had many problems that were unheard of on the earlier cars. Engine issues with valves, suspension issues with control arm bushings, wind noise, etc. Typical problems with a brand new design for many brands, but this was Lexus. What happened to perfection? Where was the car you could balance champagne glasses on the hood with the engine running? Today's cars are pretty good but they are no longer "special". Why isn't the LS500 better than the S class? Lexus should be a car you aspire to: "someday, when I have it made, I'll drive a Lexus!"
I will never understand why they stopped pushing "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection." That's one of the best automotive slogans ever, and should be alongside "The Best or Nothing," and "The Ultimate Driving Machine," in my opinion. "Relentless" is such an awesome, strong word.
Old 01-31-18, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why do you have to be so negative? Lexus does have some nice stuff. Difference between Lexus and Cadillac is the ES350, Lexus has a bread and butter FWD car for the everyday man in the US. This is what Cadillac needs, forget the slow selling LaCrosse and build a Cadillac version.
If you remember, when I first got my new Lacrosse, I said then that IMO this is the car that, with a Cadillac version, should have replaced the DeVille/DTS...not the XTS.
Old 01-31-18, 04:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you remember, when I first got my new Lacrosse, I said then that IMO this is the car that, with a Cadillac version, should have replaced the DeVille/DTS...not the XTS.
Dont remember
Old 01-31-18, 04:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
I will never understand why they stopped pushing "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection." That's one of the best automotive slogans ever, and should be alongside "The Best or Nothing," and "The Ultimate Driving Machine," in my opinion. "Relentless" is such an awesome, strong word.
I like Passionate Pursuit better. The new Experience Amazing is OK. Not great but not at all horrible. MB and BMW have great slogans.
Old 01-31-18, 05:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately you can never replay old slogans and recycle them. That's just saying, "we're retro". That's okay if you're recreating a version of a 2000 Lexus LS400 in 2018. That's not where the 5LS is heading. If they do in fact stuff a TTV8 into an LS F, that could change this car's perception significantly, even for millenials. Those sorts of things create some buzz on social media.

The big problem here is that a good chunk of forum members are baby boomers, a few are Gen-Xers and even fewer are millenials. If you want to know how to market and trend toward millenials... why not just ask them? We argue about Lexus ads and for that matter Toyota styling - but where is Lexus in the greater scheme of things in the social media world? Snapchat? Twitter? Instagram? Forget about Facebook, because that's so yesterday.

It's interesting to note, that in this thread/discussion there is no mention of those social media sites I mentioned, because guess what? We're not on them, or we don't spend our days and nights on them. You want to have edgy and market to a younger generation? Get on those sites and new emerging media. Create some buzz. This is actually measureable and can be calculated. There are numerous analytical companies who do nothing but this. Lexus so far is not high in the rankings btw. At least so far.
Old 01-31-18, 05:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Unfortunately you can never replay old slogans and recycle them. That's just saying, "we're retro". That's okay if you're recreating a version of a 2000 Lexus LS400 in 2018. That's not where the 5LS is heading. If they do in fact stuff a TTV8 into an LS F, that could change this car's perception significantly, even for millenials. Those sorts of things create some buzz on social media.

The big problem here is that a good chunk of forum members are baby boomers, a few are Gen-Xers and even fewer are millenials. If you want to know how to market and trend toward millenials... why not just ask them? We argue about Lexus ads and for that matter Toyota styling - but where is Lexus in the greater scheme of things in the social media world? Snapchat? Twitter? Instagram? Forget about Facebook, because that's so yesterday.

It's interesting to note, that in this thread/discussion there is no mention of those social media sites I mentioned, because guess what? We're not on them, or we don't spend our days and nights on them. You want to have edgy and market to a younger generation? Get on those sites and new emerging media. Create some buzz. This is actually measureable and can be calculated. There are numerous analytical companies who do nothing but this. Lexus so far is not high in the rankings btw. At least so far.
do you honestly think Lexus does not do focus groups on the millennial generation?
Old 01-31-18, 05:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

do you honestly think Lexus does not do focus groups on the millennial generation?
Need I say more.
Old 01-31-18, 05:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Need I say more.
Yes you do.
Old 01-31-18, 05:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Just one of the analytics companies. Here's where the expertise lies when you talk about millenial marketing and trends.

https://www.talkwalker.com/about-us
Old 01-31-18, 05:35 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Even on Facebook, you'll see social media leaders. These are things that certainly can be analyzed.

http://www.newswhip.com/2015/11/the-...-social-media/

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...nds-instagram/

Last edited by MattyG; 01-31-18 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-31-18, 05:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Didn’t think you would say more. 🤗
Old 01-31-18, 05:41 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

^^^ Instead of arguing, why don't you provide some of your direct expertise and knowledge about what Toyota and Lexus do? Direct links, direct first hand knowledge etc. My remark of course referenced how far out that post is compared to millenials.
Old 01-31-18, 05:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Instead of arguing, why don't you provide some of your direct expertise and knowledge about what Toyota and Lexus do? Direct links, direct first hand knowledge etc. My remark of course referenced how far out that post is compared to millenials.
Hey, I wasn’t arguing. Was just asking you to say more.
Old 01-31-18, 05:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Didn’t think you would say more. ��
You asked, I responded. Posts # 84, 85. Done?
Old 01-31-18, 05:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts

YES done. Please

Quick Reply: Mistake aiming at millennials?