Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Ford Explorer to go RWD, get 400-hp ST version

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2020 Ford Explorer to go RWD, get 400-hp ST version

It could spawn a Lincoln version too

Ever since Ford swapped the Explorer's ladder rails for a unibody eight years ago, sales have explored high-altitude territory again. The Explorer was the 15th-best-selling vehicle last year, with 238,056 units moved, and received the slightest of updates for 2018 because sometimes it's best to just let a roaring fire burn. Bigger things will apparently come next year, though, when the 2020 Ford Explorer begins production at Ford's Chicago Assembly Planet. The Truth About Cars reports that not only will the mid-sized SUV move to a new, modular, rear-drive platform, but it'll get a hot ST version to pair with the recently released Edge ST.

TTAC broke the news about the platform switch four years ago. The return to rear-wheel drive would take the Explorer back to its roots; the first four Explorer generations were truck-based, rear-drive haulers. The new CD6 architecture is said to be a big chunk of the $5 billion Ford invested in Lincoln, and it works for front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive vehicles. That kind of flexibility leads us to believe it's more like Volkswagen's highly adjustable MQB toolkit than a traditional platform. The CD6 foundation will also support an unnamed Lincoln to be built at the Chicago plant. Both SUVs should have steel sheetmetal, not aluminum.

But why go RWD? No one outside of Ford has the reasons, but guesses range from better driving dynamics to the police market. Ford's move to AWD platforms for its police Explorer and Taurus caused the carmaker to lose a sizable chunk of business. Throughout a swath of the country from Ohio to New Mexico, police camp out in highway medians in Dodge Chargers.

TTAC's Ford sources say the Explorer will get four engine choices. The present 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder will be the sole holdover. The current 3.5-liter V6 will retire, supplanted by the 3.3-liter V6 that's presently the base engine in the F-150. In the aluminum pickup, the 3.3-liter puts out the same horsepower and 10 more pound-feet compared to the 3.5-liter. The 3.5-liter, twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 in the Explorer Sport gets replaced by the 3.0-liter, twin-turbo V6 from the Lincoln Continental and MKZ, which will power an Explorer ST. In Lincoln guises that engine makes a square 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque, but TTAC expects those numbers to rise in an Explorer ST. A 10-speed automatic transmission will be among the options.

The fourth engine will be a hybrid powertrain — another sop to the police market — but it could have "better electric range than current Energi-based Ford vehicles." The hybrid will also use the 10-speed auto.

Of course, talk of a rear-wheel drive, Fusion-sized platform built for big power numbers has enthusiasts wondering what kinds of sedans or coupes could go on it. If such sedans come, they'll likely be long-wheelbase Lincolns headed to China. But there's no reason to stop dreaming about more driftable possibilities.
Source
Old 01-31-18, 01:01 PM
Hoovey689

The CD6 foundation will also support an unnamed Lincoln to be built at the Chicago plant. Both SUVs should have steel sheetmetal, not aluminum.
I'm going to wager this unnamed Lincoln is the return of the Lincoln Aviator.
Old 01-31-18, 01:50 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Fits with their return to names... only question is if the MKZ goes back to being the Zephyr.... or something more travel oriented like the others, Nautilus,

I'm glad that Ford has an all-new platform for a range of products. It's still a bit unfortunate that Lincoln still can't seem to get anything truly dedicated, but such seems to be the norm in today's world. At least they're doing a better job of differentiating sheetmetal and interiors.
Old 01-31-18, 02:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pbm317
Fits with their return to names... only question is if the MKZ goes back to being the Zephyr.... or something more travel oriented like the others, Nautilus,

I'm glad that Ford has an all-new platform for a range of products. It's still a bit unfortunate that Lincoln still can't seem to get anything truly dedicated, but such seems to be the norm in today's world. At least they're doing a better job of differentiating sheetmetal and interiors.
Zephyr by definition means a soft gentle breeze. I've also come across some literature years back that depicted a ship. So it could fit in to their naming scheme.

Agreed
Old 01-31-18, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I think this is fabulous news. I'd love to own an Explorer again.
Old 01-31-18, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Let's hope so. IMO the sooner they replace the awkward-looking MKT, the better. ....though, of course, the MKT is on the Flex platform, not the Explorer.
Old 01-31-18, 07:24 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

finally someone breaks from the pack.

we have too few RWD trucks, and they all have ugly proportions, like the RX

Even Genesis is making a RWD GV80
Old 02-01-18, 12:29 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Always thought the current Explorer was RWD, so learned something new.
We don't really need an ST version. We just need a modernized and improved family/tow hauler. The current Explorer is a raging success, and well deserved. Some modern, edgy, and probably Range Rover styling will help keep Ford paying the bills. Fuel efficiency really needs to be addressed too. Hopefully the new 3.3 V6 can deliver on refinement (smoothness) and much better mpg's than the current 3.5 dog. Time is catching up quickly here, as the current unit has been facelifted THREE times. Today's news was much needed.
Old 02-01-18, 04:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Dunno how RWD and the manual have nearly become extinct. One should look in their garage, kinda like the "What's in your wallet" deal, and find it devoid of FWD vehicles imho lol

I do think that we make LE's lives harder when purchasing doles out Impalas or Explorers. Part of their jobs is to apprehend actors in their vehicles.
Old 02-01-18, 10:10 AM
Hoovey689

The Explorer going back to RWD at least to me is just an added benefit. The real winner here is Lincoln vehicles, and could finally spawn a long rumored RWD coupe

The new CD6 architecture is said to be a big chunk of the $5 billion Ford invested in Lincoln, and it works for front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive vehicles
Old 02-01-18, 10:17 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

with no next gen ford fusion, i can see where resources were going to. sounds very promising. not quite jeep srt8 status but I'm sure with a few modifications, I'm sure it will get there. I'm looking forward to the the drag strip vids
Old 02-01-18, 08:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
ditto! the current one may sell well but visibility and space efficiency are foul.
Old 02-01-18, 08:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Zephyr by definition means a soft gentle breeze. I've also come across some literature years back that depicted a ship. So it could fit in to their naming scheme.

Agreed
Zephyr is also a type of a Russian marshmallow.

Old 02-01-18, 11:22 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Och
Zephyr is also a type of a Russian marshmallow.
No kidding, hah awesome! Appreciate the knowledge!
Old 02-02-18, 07:04 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm betting you are right, but i would bet its not called Aviator.

Originally Posted by pbm317

i have hated the current naming scheme since it debuted. Its so damn confusing. "MKZ, is that the sedan or SUV?"

Agreed
Lincoln needs to go back to names. Not just letters. Zephyr is good. Mercury got swallowed up by Lincoln too. FoMoCo still holds the rights to names like "Mariner", "Marauder" and "Mountaineer" as well.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I really dislike the current one. My mom has a 2014 FWD Limited. The seats are hard, leather feels cheap, it has rattles, it has a tiny fuel tank exacerbated by the rate at which the ancient V-6 guzzles fuel. She's lucky to see 21mpg hwy, and gets 12-14 city. I get that or better in my 6,000lb V8 powered pickup. She can only go about 250mi before filling up due to the tiny (16 gal i think) fuel tank.

My other issue is that the thing fells so unnecessarily wide for what it is. Maybe its just the design of it but I find it very difficult to drive and judge where the right side/right front corner is on the road and in parking lots especially. Im no stranger to driving large, heavy, wide loads and the current explorer feels so large that its a cumbersome chore to drive.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Always thought the current Explorer was RWD, so learned something new.
We don't really need an ST version. We just need a modernized and improved family/tow hauler. The current Explorer is a raging success, and well deserved. Some modern, edgy, and probably Range Rover styling will help keep Ford paying the bills. Fuel efficiency really needs to be addressed too. Hopefully the new 3.3 V6 can deliver on refinement (smoothness) and much better mpg's than the current 3.5 dog. Time is catching up quickly here, as the current unit has been facelifted THREE times. Today's news was much needed.
yeah, the 3.5 is terrible in non-turbo form. Honestly the 2.7 ecoboost V6 that is standard in the F150 XL would be a perfect engine for it, especially if they put Fords new 10-speed auto behind (or next to) it.

Quick Reply: 2020 Ford Explorer to go RWD, get 400-hp ST version