Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 D.C. Auto Show Wrap-Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18 | 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2018 D.C. Auto Show Wrap-Up

I'm not quite done with the 2018 D.C. show yet...I might (?) be going back for some last-minute stuff and/or some more test-drives on the circuit. But, after several trips there already, I've seen enough of it to do a general write-up.

First, this may (?) be the last January/February show here. I couldn't find anything on the web to confirm it, but a big sign near one of the exits thanks one for coming, and lists the next D.C. show in April of 2019. So, that means potentially a longer wait.....but better potential weather for test-driving outside, not the typical winter cold here.

This is one of the larger shows, of course, but still not the equal of the Detroit show, as most of the truly new introductions are done there, along with the auto-press and manufacturer-executive attendance that is lacking in D.C. So, not surprisingly, some of the Detroit introductions were lacking here in D.C. , though a number of them, like the much-anticipated Ford Ranger and Lexus LS500, were here.

Perhaps's the show's biggest disappointment was that Cadillac and Mercedes, two big players in the luxury/upscale class, didn't come to the show at all. Why, I haven't been able to find out, but it could (?) possibly have to do with the fact that Porsche and Genesis were there this year...Genesis did not have a display at last year's show, and Porsche skipped the show for several years (Porsche even skipped Detroit for a couple of years). So, it's possible
(?) that Genesis and Porsche simply outbid Cadillac and Mercedes for the available floor space....WANADA (the local Washington Area Dealers Association) and the auto manufacturers, of course, pay per square footage for their displays here.

Fortunately, most things at the show ran smoothly while I was there. I still remember the year that President Obama, suddenly, showed up early one afternoon, unannounced, wanting to take a look at the latest alternate-fuel vehicles that year (his Administration, of course, was pushing them at the time)...and the Secret Service entourage forced all of us off the show's entire bottom floor, sealing it off for two or three hours while the President looked around. Nothing like that happened this time....and the Metro subway (which can often be exasperating with delays, track-problems, and breakdowns) ran smoothly for most of the show-goers, at least on the weekdays I was there. I don't recall seeing any vandalism, either, like what a couple of morons did a couple of years ago to some Cadillac and Lincoln vehicles there, forcing them to lock some vehicles up. Hyundai now sponsors the Hands-On contest at the show that Toyota used to....this year, the prize was a small Hyundai Tucson SUV. There were also some of the usual old vintage-Cadillac and Mustang displays.

Steve (SW15LS) has already described the big Jaguar/Land-Rover Ride-and-Drive course downstairs, which simulates rugged off-road conditions for the Land-Rovers....I have to agree it was impressive, substantially larger than the one Jeep has been using for some years now (which wasn't there this year like the regular Jeep display was. Other impressive displays, IMO, were the new Lincoln Navigator and Continental in their own cupola-covered individual chambers (the Navigator really attracted a crowd) the new Lexus LS500 on the turntable, the upcoming Ford Ranger on the turntable (which also attracted a crowd), and the hybrid Chrysler Pacifica.

Buick had three new Lacrosses there (I own a new Lacrosse myself, for those of you who don't already know)...an Essence, a Premium, and the upcoming Avenir versions. Two of them had the (now) standard hybrid-four drivetrain...something I hadn't seen before. It was also my first chance to see and sit in the Lacrosse Avenir....not a whole lot different from my car, except for a different grille/fascia pattern, 19" wheels and lower-profile tires (No Thanks, in my book), a different color leather interior, and some added chrome logo-trim. The Enclave Avenir that Bitkahuna wrote about was also there. But Buick, IMO, blew it by not bringing either the Regal Tour-X-Wagon (which I have already static-reviewed at the dealership LOL) or the sport-oriented Regal GS....they did, however, bring a couple of lower-line Regal Sportbacks with the 2.0T engine. But it was nice having three new Lacrosses there... using the fobs and powering them up, I was able to duplicate, for the Buick Reps there, that little quirk in the dash-warning light-programming I mentioned earlier in a previous thread. They noted that in their daily report.

Other high points and disappointments? Ford and BMW each had a test-drive circuit set up there, for the first time I can remember (usually it is just Toyota, Mazda, Kia, and Subaru, and Scion before they folded). I sampled the Ford EcoSport, Toyota Camry XSE, and Kia Cadenza (I wanted to see how the latest Cadenza compared to the Lacrosse). The regular test-drive circuits were minimal at best (three or four blocks square, around the Convention Center).....but the Kia one was virtually hopeless (only a block square, and the Kia lady that went with me was like a programmed-robot, unlike the other cheerful and friendly Kia reps). I learned practically nothing about the Cadenza, except that its ride over city bumps wasn't quite as smooth as my Lacrosse, and that its start/stop system for the engine, like that in the Lacrosse, was seamlessly-done). Kia gave out $10 Amazon cards for their test-drives, Ford gave out $10 Starbucks cards (love that French Roast LOL) and their regular $50 Mastercard sign-up program for dealership test-drives. Lincoln no longer does the $75 Mastercard program directly, but, instead, donates the money to a charity of your choice, in your name (Jill, I'll use that offer and check out the new Navigator you like so much, if Navigators are available here in the D.C. area..the offers expire March 30). Toyota gave out their usual small test-drive gifts...this time cell-phone-charge cords (several manufacturers actually had cell-phone stations there at the show for the thousands of people with them). Toyota also had the usual quiz-show at their display inside. I, of course, answered their questions and won some prizes, which I, as usual, gave to the kiddies there...I love to see their little faces light up with delight when I hand them a mug, Toyota Teddy-Bear, or put a Toyota cap on their head and say "Merry Christmas". That, alone, is worth going to the show for.

The absence of the much-hyped, Mid-Engine Corvette there at the show was also a disappointment, though I understand that it was also not at Detroit, either. The reps from several manufacturers were annoying when they kept making excuse after excuse why they couldn't (or wouldn't) open up certain vehicles for an interior inspection....pre-production model, not cleared for release, prototype, simple orders from their superiors not to do so, etc..... Most of the excuses sounded like B.S. to me, though the fear of vandalism like what Cadillac and Lincoln had a few years ago seemed legitimate. And the word from VW reps there is that the VW diesels are through in the U.S....no more for the immediate future, and perhaps ever. Yes, the diesel-emission scandal certainly took its toll.

Like I said, I'm not completely through with the show....got another day, maybe for some test-drives and/or meeting people. The show itself goes on till Sunday evening at 6. But, I figured I'd write it up tonight, while I had some energy LOL.

And, as always, Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-01-18 | 09:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the write-up.
Old 02-02-18 | 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a video showing The Land Rover course at the show:

Skip over about the first 4 minutes or so if you don't want to hear just a bunch of talk.