Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

falling asleep while driving can be fatal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 09:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

thanks guys, great posts and reminders and cautionary stories.

yesterday here in central florida we had heavy rain for about 18 hours (!). between the rain, flooded roads, christmas shopping traffic, people going to and from christmas lunches and parties, and general distraction, there were some real 'winners' on the road. i saw several (after) accidents with flashing lights, emergency vehicles, etc.

besides tiredness and intoxication, of course the other big factor these days is distracted driving, which usually means someone looking at their phone while driving. at least once a day when i'm out i'll see someone driving 20mph BELOW the speed limit, in the left lane, with no one in front of them. immediately i know it's someone on their phone. i pull into the right lane (yeah i know, but i can't wait all day), as i go past i'll take a quick look and sure enough, on the phone...

now slow driving is not a huge menace compared to someone actually trying to type a text or read an 'important' email while driving and drifting all over the place. that's truly dangerous.

but anyway, off topic here... we lost Matt this year, getting a call that Sunday morning (Jan 28th, 2018), and so every Sunday is a reminder. every miami dolphins game is a reminder since he was an avid fan. every mention of the musician drake is a reminder because he was a huge fan. every mention of theme parks is a reminder because he worked a few years at universal in orlando... and on and on... the drake album title says it all... "nothing was the same"
Old 12-15-18, 10:05 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

First time seeing this thread. Condolences and I agree we should all be careful. I took risks many times driving sleepy and have pulled over just to sleep on some occasions. These days If I know I will be out late I take Uber no need to worry about falling asleep, parking, drinking etc...
Old 12-16-18, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well it's been 10 months and i wanted to bump this thread as a reminder to all especially during the holidays and poor winter weather that driving is still DANGEROUS, especially if we're tired or intoxicated, or both.

the last time we saw Matthew, 23 was last Christmas. it was joyful, fun-filled, quality time. a month later, a couple of weeks before his 24th birthday, he was gone.

it's been a very difficult year to say the least, and grief is the other side of love... both very powerful.

drive safe all, don't assume anything, and if you're tired or intoxicated, STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY or better still, let someone else who is neither do it.
I hope you and your girlfriend are hanging in there. My thoughts are with you.

Great advice. In fact, we just got home from being away for the weekend and I stopped with an hour left to go and let my wife drive because I could feel myself getting tired.
Old 12-17-18, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I hope you and your girlfriend are hanging in there. My thoughts are with you.

Great advice. In fact, we just got home from being away for the weekend and I stopped with an hour left to go and let my wife drive because I could feel myself getting tired.
thanks and way to go on not driving when tired.
Old 12-17-18, 09:17 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

this is actually quite a timely bump, considering my friend just managed to drive into a guardrail after dozing off for a moment at like 5 am on his way back from driving on the beach

he's fine (physically at least), nobody got hurt, yada yada, he got that car for $500, and he has like 5 other cars so he'll be fine

i'm just happy i wasn't there lol
Old 01-28-22, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

just a reminder all, today marks 4 years since we got a call that my gf's son died in the night from a car crash on an interstate (no skidmarks, etc., looks highly likely he just fell asleep). on feb 9th he would have been 28.

obviously not a unique tragedy, but just a reminder that if ANYONE feels sleepy while driving, they should stop right away, have a nap, get a coffee, take a walk, before resuming.

stay safe all. an accident could bring your demise and grief to your loved ones forever.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-28-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-28-22, 06:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just a reminder all, today marks 4 years since we got a call that my gf's son died in the night from a car crash on an interstate (no skidmarks, etc., looks highly likely he just fell asleep). on feb 9th he would have been 28.

obviously not a unique tragedy, but just a reminder that if ANYONE feels sleepy while driving, they should stop right away, have a nap, get a coffee, talk a walk, before resuming.

stay safe all. an accident could bring your demise and grief to your loved ones forever.
So sorry for your loss; just terrible.

But remember stories like this one when griping about all the beeping of active safety systems in cars, and pontificating that active safety systems "make people bad drivers" -- active safety systems may save your life, or the life of a loved one. Isn't the annoying beeping worth it?
Old 01-28-22, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

obviously not a unique tragedy, but just a reminder that if ANYONE feels sleepy while driving, they should stop right away, have a nap, get a coffee, talk a walk, before resuming.

How is she doing Paul?
Old 01-28-22, 07:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Sorry to hear. Hopefully, they can use these autonomous tech to mitigate sleeping deaths. It can happen to anyone.
Old 01-28-22, 10:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry for your loss also, Bitkahuna.

Originally Posted by tex2670

But remember stories like this one when griping about all the beeping of active safety systems in cars, and pontificating that active safety systems "make people bad drivers" -- active safety systems may save your life, or the life of a loved one. Isn't the annoying beeping worth it?
I totally agree and wanted to type this also

Not only in a sleeping situation but also in a medical condition as well.

In this situation, the lane departure warning should beep, then the lane assist keep brings the car back in and the auto stop/brake should kick in to slow the car down.
I tried this in my car to see how it works (only on a straight road though) and it did the job.

(edit: didn't see bit's post 31 above explaining the system)
Old 01-28-22, 11:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

i agree completely. he was driving a new corolla at the time, and i'm not sure if it had lane keep assist or warning, maybe it did and maybe it was turned off, or maybe the warning didn't wake him up, we'll never know, but yes, lane keep assist for example, would likely have brought him around the curve he went off, although maybe it would have disengaged if his hands weren't on the wheel. but yes, i'm all for advanced safety systems!!!!! they do save lives.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
How is she doing Paul?
thanks for asking... between christmas, today, the superbowl and his birthday all being so close, it's a difficult time but lots of love and support from many does help, and we CERTAINLY know that we're far from alone given just how most everyone loses someone close to them at some point, but obviously losing your child is a special loss - parents just don't expect to outlive their kids. but she's a strong person, obviously sad moments, but we know we must keep going and try to be as happy as matt would have wanted her to be.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sorry to hear. Hopefully, they can use these autonomous tech to mitigate sleeping deaths. It can happen to anyone.
thanks and agreed.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Sorry for your loss also, Bitkahuna.
thanks. and yes, current safety systems are not foolproof or all encompassing, but it seems we shouldn't be far from a car detecting the driver is asleep, ill (or dead!) and it could safely bring the car to a stop with flashers going.
Old 01-28-22, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

thanks. and yes, current safety systems are not foolproof or all encompassing, but it seems we shouldn't be far from a car detecting the driver is asleep, ill (or dead!) and it could safely bring the car to a stop with flashers going.
I think Mercedes has a system that will sense a lack of driver-input to the steering after a while, interpret that as dozing off.....and set off some alarms or reactions. Mercedes and Volvo have often been at the forefront of safety-advances.
Old 01-28-22, 03:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

i agree completely. he was driving a new corolla at the time, and i'm not sure if it had lane keep assist or warning, maybe it did and maybe it was turned off, or maybe the warning didn't wake him up, we'll never know, but yes, lane keep assist for example, would likely have brought him around the curve he went off, although maybe it would have disengaged if his hands weren't on the wheel. but yes, i'm all for advanced safety systems!!!!! they do save lives.

thanks for asking... between christmas, today, the superbowl and his birthday all being so close, it's a difficult time but lots of love and support from many does help, and we CERTAINLY know that we're far from alone given just how most everyone loses someone close to them at some point, but obviously losing your child is a special loss - parents just don't expect to outlive their kids. but she's a strong person, obviously sad moments, but we know we must keep going and try to be as happy as matt would have wanted her to be.

thanks and agreed.

I think Toyota Teamate will stop the car if there is a lack of driver attention. Same with Honda and their set up
Old 01-28-22, 03:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think Toyota Teamate will stop the car if there is a lack of driver attention.
Yes, but that system is more like Cadillac Super Cruise, which is a semi-autonomous driving system, rather than features which are more of active safety features.
Old 01-28-22, 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Really hard time of year, with it all being so close...I can't imagine losing a child...

Let her know your car buddies are thinking of her, and you.

Quick Reply: falling asleep while driving can be fatal...