Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2018 Ford EcoSport

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Trax, Renegade already are domestic branded vehicles in the Subcompact Utility segment. Ford is late to the game, if not last. Even slow-going Toyota was able to bring C-HR to the U.S. faster (although without AWD and without a lot of trims and options).
I disagree with the Trax, but yes, good point on the Renegade....I agree it could be considered an EcoSport competitor. In fact, I'll revise the opening part of the review.
Old 02-05-18, 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree with the Trax, but yes, good point on the Renegade....I agree it could be considered an EcoSport competitor. In fact, I'll revise the opening part of the review.
Why would the Trax not be a competitor to the Ecosport?
Old 02-05-18, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
IMO, slightly too large, and it comes with a standard in-line turbo-4 that is 50% larger than the standard turbo three used in the EcoSport. I'll admit, though, that the rather large number of vehicles in this (rough) size and price class blurs the boundary lines somewhat. And I do respect the opinions of those who do consider the Trax a competitor.
Old 02-05-18, 12:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, slightly too large, and it comes with a standard in-line turbo-4 that is 50% larger than the standard turbo three used in the EcoSport. I'll admit, though, that the rather large number of vehicles in this (rough) size and price class blurs the boundary lines somewhat. And I do respect the opinions of those who do consider the Trax a competitor.
so a Camry that has a 2.5 or 3.5 V6 as equipment is not a competitor to an Accord which is I4 and turbo exclusive?
Old 02-05-18, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

so a Camry that has a 2.5 or 3.5 V6 as equipment is not a competitor to an Accord which is I4 and turbo exclusive?
Yes, I would consider Camrys and Accords with the base, normally-aspirated fours to be clear competitors. With upmarket versions, though, and the Camry's V6 vs. the Accord's turbo 4, the line gets more blurred. Personally, all else equal, I consider even a normally-aspirated V6 to be a better power plant, and not in the same class, even though turbo 4s (sometimes) produce more torque.

I (briefly) sampled a top-line Camry XSE V6 on the test-drive circuit at the auto show, BTW.
Old 02-05-18, 12:47 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I would consider Camrys and Accords with the base, normally-aspirated fours to be clear competitors. With upmarket versions, though, and the Camry's V6 vs. the Accord's turbo 4, the line gets more blurred. Personally, all else equal, I consider even a normally-aspirated V6 to be a better power plant, and not in the same class, even though turbo 4s (sometimes) produce more torque.

I (briefly) sampled a top-line Camry XSE V6 on the test-drive circuit at the auto show, BTW.
We're going off topic, but the Accord doesn't have a naturally aspirated engine anymore. 2 turbos, 1.5L or 2.0L. There is no blurring that a Camry XLE V6 competes head to head with an Accord Touring 2.0T.
Old 02-05-18, 02:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Its ridicuolous isn’t it. We showed the interior dimensions and prices which are fact and still the denial runs deep.
Old 02-05-18, 02:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

ashamed because where it’s built?
couldn't care less where a vehicle is built.

they should be ashamed because it's awful and looks as cheap as a pinto.
Old 02-05-18, 02:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Its ridicuolous isn’t it. We showed the interior dimensions and prices which are fact and still the denial runs deep.
It is ridiculous I agree. Bewildering might be a better word. I did just look up the Trax and the Ecosport. They are 99.9% identical in size. The headroom is identical right down to the mm. (I used the Canadian site). And fullly loaded models top out at $32k and $33K. That is a lot of cake for these small models. I believe the Honda and Toyota mini cuvs are not offered in AWD.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-05-18 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 02:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
couldn't care less where a vehicle is built.

they should be ashamed because it's awful and looks as cheap as a pinto.
Sad. Car brands such as Ford and GM should not be importing from India and even worse China.
Old 02-05-18, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
We're going off topic, but the Accord doesn't have a naturally aspirated engine anymore. 2 turbos, 1.5L or 2.0L. There is no blurring that a Camry XLE V6 competes head to head with an Accord Touring 2.0T.

I didn't say it did. What I did say was that, IMO, in response to Jill's question, I didn't think a turbo-4, even with marginally more torque, competes with a naturally-aspirated V6.

And, no, in my book, a V6 Camry does not compete directly with a turbo-4 Accord. IMO, Honda made a mistake dropping the V6....so did some other manufacturers when they dropped the V6s in their mid-size sedans. And that's also why, when I ordered my Lacrosse, I had to re-order the car when Buick changed the standard power-pant from the nice 3.6L V6 to the four-hybrid....I wasn't going to get stuck with a four.

We're getting off-topic, though...the EcoSport and its competitors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-05-18 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 03:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't say it did. What I did say was that, IMO, in response to Jill's question, I didn't think a turbo-4, even with marginally more torque, competes with a naturally-aspirated V6.

And, no, in my book, a V6 Camry does not compete directly with a turbo-4 Accord. IMO, Honda made a mistake dropping the V6....so did some other manufacturers when they dropped the V6s in their mid-size sedans. And that's also why, when I ordered my Lacrosse, I had to re-order the car when Buick changed the standard power-pant from the nice 3.6L V6 to the four-hybrid....I wasn't going to get stuck with a four.

We're getting off-topic, though...the EcoSport and its competitors.
Respectfully. Were are not exactly off topic. I am just trying to wrap my head around your idea that a Ecosport does not compete with a Trax. So extending it to other comparisons for reference might do justice.

Does a Cadillac Escalade compete with a Lincoln Navigator? One is a V8 NA while the other is a turbo 6

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-05-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Respectfully. Were are not exactly off topic. I am just trying to wrap my head around your idea that a Ecosport does not compete with a Trax. So extending it to other comparisons for reference might do justice.

Well, again with respect, wrap your head if you want....but that's my opinion. The Trax, though close to the Ecosport, is, in effect, one-half-size larger....and has a more significant (but still paltry) base engine.

Does a Cadillac Escalade compete with a Lincoln Navigator? One is a V8 NA while the other is a turbo 6?

Statically, I was quite impressed with the new Navigator at the D.C. show, but, as I've stated before, will withhold final comments until I test-drive one. I will say, however, that, wth one or two exceptions, the interior and general fit/finish of the new Navigator appears to be markedly better than the current-generation Escalade.

BTW, though Cadillac has not officially announced it, I wouldn't be surprised if the next-generation Escalade has a TT V6.
Old 02-06-18, 07:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There were a couple of negative posts in this thread about the swing-away tailgate. It's not necessarily my favorite, either, but one must remember that, like the early Toyota RAV-4 and Honda CR-V models, the EcoSport was originally developed in countries and environments where a real spare tire was included, mounted on the back of the tailgate. At least, unlike early CR-V models, the EcoSport's tailgate-hinges are mounted in a manner that allows the tailgate to swing out (leftward) in a manner suitable to American parking conditions, not those in Britain and the Japanese market. Honda designers admit they goofed, and simply did not take that into consideration when they started selling left-hand drive CR-Vs in the U.S. The Ford engineers said they considered putting the hinges on top to create a traditional lift-gate instead, but it was nixed as costing too much (it was more of a job than simply moving hinges). Remember, base versions of this vehicle start at a mere 20K, without much profit for Ford on each one.
Old 02-06-18, 07:40 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't say it did.
Please look at what you wrote

Yes, I would consider Camrys and Accords with the base, normally-aspirated fours to be clear competitors.
The Accord does not have a "normally-aspirated" four. The base engine in the Accord in a 1.5L Turbo. So are there no "clear competitors" within the Camry and Accord lineups per your rigid definitions and delineations?

This all goes to the point that, quite often, your own specific views segmentation and competitors is at odds with industry developed and media recognized norms, including the EcoSport and its intended and actual competitors.

Even dealers understand exactly who this product will help them try to win

“This is something we really have needed,” Charlie Gilchrist, the president of SouthWest Ford, a dealership near Fort Worth, Texas, said of the EcoSport. “We’ll see customers that were looking at the Chevrolet Trax that we’ve never seen before. We didn’t have anything for them.”
From Detroit News story on EcoSport

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2018 Ford EcoSport