Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2018 Ford EcoSport

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 07:45 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe the Honda and Toyota mini cuvs are not offered in AWD.
While the Toyota C-HR isn't available in North America with AWD, the Honda HR-V is. Upcoming Nissan Kicks is also Front Wheel Drive only.
Old 02-06-18, 12:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Even dealers understand exactly who this product will help them try to win

From Detroit News story on EcoSport
Oh sure, some Trax-shoppers will cross-shop the EcoSport....that's to be expected. But that does not make it a perfect competitor.

This all goes to the point that, quite often, your own specific views segmentation and competitors is at odds with industry developed and media recognized norms, including the EcoSport and its intended and actual competitors.
Correct. I'm not one to always follow the crowd like lemmings. Sometimes, I actually think for myself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-18 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 12:43 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I would consider Camrys and Accords with the base, normally-aspirated fours to be clear competitors. With upmarket versions, though, and the Camry's V6 vs. the Accord's turbo 4, the line gets more blurred. Personally, all else equal, I consider even a normally-aspirated V6 to be a better power plant, and not in the same class, even though turbo 4s (sometimes) produce more torque.

I (briefly) sampled a top-line Camry XSE V6 on the test-drive circuit at the auto show, BTW.

I understand if two cars are separated by size and/or price but...to say two cars of similar price and size are no longer competitors because of different engines/equipments is beyond weird and a total head scratcher to me.
Old 02-06-18, 01:07 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh sure, some Trax-shoppers will cross-shop the EcoSport....that's to be expected. But that does not make it a perfect competitor. Correct. I'm not one to always follow the crowd like lemmings. Sometimes, I actually think for myself.
Then there would almost be no "perfect" competitors in your eyes. You'd eventually get to the point of claiming that cars can't be competitors because they don't offer as big of a color palette as the other. Or it's a 3.0 liter vs a 3.6 liter.

It has nothing to do about being a lemming, it's about awareness and understanding/comprehension of how vehicles can and will be compared in the market. For a self proclaimed car expert you seem to struggle with the current market and trends.

Don't get me wrong, you are a strong contributor here on CL, and you're absolutely entitled to your own opinion, but your refusal to ever concede when others have made numerous, substantiated points to counter yours is laughable.
Old 02-06-18, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Don't get me wrong, you are a strong contributor here on CL, and you're absolutely entitled to your own opinion, but your refusal to ever concede when others have made numerous, substantiated points to counter yours is laughable.
You are saying something, though, that is not necessarily true. I don't tell those they can't have their opinions or post different viewpoints than mine. In fact, I welcome other opinions, even if I disagree with them....otherwise, I wouldn't have stayed in this forum for 15 years, with over 67K posts. And we can all have respect for each other despite some differing views.

And if you have strong opinions, there's nothing to keep you from posting your own reviews and test-drives. In fact, I wouldn't mind reading them....you contribute a lot to this forum yourself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-18 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For a self proclaimed car expert you seem to struggle with the current market and trends.
When it comes to being an expert, I'd say Alex Dykes is the expert on reviews. I never claimed to be as such.

As for current markets and trends, that's just it....they come and go. True love for automobiles never ceases.
Old 02-06-18, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Now, let's get back to the EcoSport.
Old 02-06-18, 05:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Then there would almost be no "perfect" competitors in your eyes. You'd eventually get to the point of claiming that cars can't be competitors because they don't offer as big of a color palette as the other. Or it's a 3.0 liter vs a 3.6 liter.

It has nothing to do about being a lemming, it's about awareness and understanding/comprehension of how vehicles can and will be compared in the market. For a self proclaimed car expert you seem to struggle with the current market and trends.

Saving face and admitting your wrong is a difficult thing to do. Sometimes you just need to fold em’. When you are defeated, you are defeated. This was clearly a defeat.

As for the Ecosport, it’s a lot of money for the size of model. Can’t believe the price it tops out at. As for comparing vehicles, I usually look at the compare tool on a manufacturers website and see what they want shoppers to compare against. I think this is a fair way to compare.
Old 02-06-18, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Saving face and admitting your wrong is a difficult thing to do. Sometimes you just need to fold em’. When you are defeated, you are defeated. This was clearly a defeat.
No one (including you or me) gets "defeated" in Car Chat. We're here to discuss vehicles, even when we disagree.

As for the Ecosport, it’s a lot of money for the size of model. Can’t believe the price it tops out at.
Can you believe the price it bottoms out at.....$19,995 (U.S. dollars), not including freight?

Even with the $995 freight, a bare-bones model with no options, with the $1750 rebate in my area, is down to $19,240

Just curious, Jill.....have you sampled an EcoSport yourself yet? If not, I'm sure Ford will have one (or more) at the upcoming Toronto Auto Show, which starts on Feb. 16...the end of next week. They are going to offer it in the Canadian market, where it will start at $21,999 Canadian dollars.

https://www.autoshow.ca

https://www.ford.ca/suvs-crossovers/ecosport/

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-18 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 07:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you believe the price it bottoms out at.....$19,995 (U.S. dollars), not including freight?

Even with the $995 freight, a bare-bones model with no options, with the $1750 rebate in my area, is down to $19,240
That is the market value for subcompact crossovers. You may think it is expensive but there is no argument that this is a growing market segment and these vehicles are selling, so much so that Ford (and Toyota, which was also late) cannot afford to stay out of it.

Get in and reap the profits or stay out and get left behind.

We will soon see Lexus' entry into this segment, the UX.
Old 02-06-18, 07:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

We will soon see Lexus' entry into this segment, the UX.
Amazing, because the current NX feels tiny already.
Old 02-06-18, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
That is the market value for subcompact crossovers. You may think it is expensive
Did you mean in-expensive? Actually, I don't think it is expensive...particularly for base models.
Old 02-06-18, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Amazing, because the current NX feels tiny already.
Not only that, but the NX, IMO at least, does not have proper Lexus road-manners...it is too unrefined. More or less the same problem that you had with your old CT.
Old 02-06-18, 10:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Come on Marshall, you can't seriously have a straight face and tell me that the person buying an Eco-Sport wouldn't also cross shop it with the Chevy Trax or Buick Potato(Encore). Personally I think the Buick is a better buy, quieter, better ride, nicer interior, similar price.

This also begs the question, is the Eco-Sport really $10,000 better than a Ford Fiesta S hatch??? With incentives and an automatic transmission, that car is $14,000. Or maybe the better comparison should be against the all new 2018 Kia Rio hatch, which starts at $14,200 or a 2018 Soul, which is $16,200 starting. I mention Kia because they build the best small cars on the market IMO, both the new Rio and Soul have gotten great reviews. Only thing the Eco-Sport really has vs those Kias is the optional AWD.

Anyways, Marshall said this Eco-Sport was just basic transportation, but IMO its priced WAY beyond that category. The Eco-Sport is horrid value for money IMO(most tiny SUVs are as well). For $3000 more, you can get into a Ford Escape, which is a much more refined car with A LOT more room.
Old 02-06-18, 10:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh sure, some Trax-shoppers will cross-shop the EcoSport....that's to be expected. But that does not make it a perfect competitor.
Originally Posted by Aron9000
Come on Marshall, you can't seriously have a straight face and tell me that the person buying an Eco-Sport wouldn't also cross shop it with the Chevy Trax or Buick Potato(Encore).
Didn't I just say what you inferred.......that they would, in fact, cross-shop? Please read before venting.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2018 Ford EcoSport