Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Automotive Super Bowl Ad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 06:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The irony in the Jeep water-cross and jump the waterfall ad is that it reinforces the idea of stupid idiots trashing nature for the sake of being able to do it. Do you need to go cross fairly shallow water and jump a stepped waterfall for no other reason than to do it? What about some trout fisherman who might like that stream, or maybe hike into that place and take some nice pics? This plays into redneckism at its worst. Trash nature because you've got some vehicle that can do it.
Old 02-05-18, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The irony in the Jeep water-cross and jump the waterfall ad is that it reinforces the idea of stupid idiots trashing nature for the sake of being able to do it. Do you need to go cross fairly shallow water and jump a stepped waterfall for no other reason than to do it? What about some trout fisherman who might like that stream, or maybe hike into that place and take some nice pics? This plays into redneckism at its worst. Trash nature because you've got some vehicle that can do it.
I'm not a terribly big fan of off-roading myself, but I fail to see how it compromises nature. It's going to take considerably more than two simple Jeep-tracks to do any appreciable damage.
Old 02-05-18, 06:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not a terribly big fan of off-roading myself, but I fail to see how it compromises nature. It's going to take considerably more than two simple Jeep-tracks to do any appreciable damage.
That's right, until it becomes incremental and adds up. Every yahoo, redneck and Madmax type does it over and over again. There are designated trails to do that, but the Jeep ad doesn't tell you that unless you try and read fine print.

Heck, I'm surprised that the Hillybilly Handfishing, or the Duck boys weren't in the ad, lol.

Then, you have ongoing damage. Why don't we get rid of catalytic converters, emissions controls etc. because - you know, it's just my big gas guzzler and it doesn't matter. Just me and two buddies. Not a million people.
Old 02-06-18, 06:39 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I guess I really dont see the problem with the ram ad?

its not like MLK was a bad dude. I mean the guy was THE icon of the american civil rights movement. Whats wrong with honoring that?
Old 02-06-18, 06:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

As far as I know, Ghandi was a vegetarian, but I don't know if he was a teetotaler.

As for the MLK ad, did any of his surviving relatives have anything to say about the ad.....or don't you know? They obviously knew him better than any of us....and how he would have felt about it. His late wife Corretta passed away about 10 or 12 years ago, but they had surviving kids.
Grateful Dead archivist is a vegetarian, and he told a story how he recently reconnected with his buddy who got him into being a vegetarian more than 20 years ago, thanks to social media. The buddy is running a meat shop on Long Island...(I'm young enough to have experienced when concert tix became impossible to obtain, but I'm old enough to find it odd how CDs are not available, that there are pre-lists and subscriptions, and then they wind up on eBay for 5x face value--that is so odd of a concept to me, CDs are limited hahahahahahahaha)

True we may not need to go off road or through a river up to the window sills in water, but do we need more than a CR-V or RAV4 that cannot pull itself up an incline if there is snow?
Old 02-06-18, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

its not like MLK was a bad dude. I mean the guy was THE icon of the american civil rights movement. Whats wrong with honoring that?
Like I said earlier, I think that was probably the impetus of the ad.....to try and get more African-Americans into pick-ups. The ultimate goal for Ram, of course, is to try and sell more trucks and make more money, not necessarily get into the MLK issue. Large body-on-frame trucks and SUVs, in this category, are immensely profitable to automakers, who earn thousands of dollars on each one sold, even after incentives. But, for a number of reasons (one can speculate all day long on them, so I won't get into that here)...the non-commercial pickup market has generally been white males.
Old 02-06-18, 02:07 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jurassic world Jeep ad
Old 02-06-18, 02:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
Jurassic world Jeep ad
This ad hasn't been mentioned much in the post Super Bowl recaps. I thought it was clever and entertaining.
Old 02-06-18, 02:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MLK's family didn't see an issue either. I just don't see how using the words of a civil rights icon to sell more trucks is "honoring" MLK? "Official Truck of Civil Rights?"
Old 02-06-18, 05:03 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Like I said earlier, I think that was probably the impetus of the ad.....to try and get more African-Americans into pick-ups. The ultimate goal for Ram, of course, is to try and sell more trucks and make more money, not necessarily get into the MLK issue. Large body-on-frame trucks and SUVs, in this category, are immensely profitable to automakers, who earn thousands of dollars on each one sold, even after incentives. But, for a number of reasons (one can speculate all day long on them, so I won't get into that here)...the non-commercial pickup market has generally been white males.
I know you mean that in a totally objective and analytical way. I'm just so surprised that at least two of the finger wagging, hand-wringing, pearl-clutching shouty-heads have not piled on you yet for saying that. MIA, I guess . After all, Lexus too, has a tie-in with the big movie that's coming up this year.

At any rate, it now appears that Ram advertising types may have known that this would be a problem, and wanted to troll social media for some traffic. Not all of the MLK family actually approved, only the for-profit licencing side. Bernice King already called them out on it.
Old 02-06-18, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I know you mean that in a totally objective and analytical way.
Yes...as you (correctly) noted, it's a moneymaking issue about selling trucks, not a racial one. People of all skin colors carry the same color money.....green.

At any rate, it now appears that Ram advertising types may have known that this would be a problem, and wanted to troll social media for some traffic. Not all of the MLK family actually approved, only the for-profit licencing side. Bernice King already called them out on it.
Doesn't surprise me. Even though it is primarily a money-making ad, I, like her, wasn't terribly impressed with it....I've seen lots better ads, especially by Super Bowl standards.

I'm just so surprised that at least two of the finger wagging, hand-wringing, pearl-clutching shouty-heads have not piled on you yet for saying that.
Don't worry....in any normal evening, somebody in Car Chat, somewhere, will find something to call me out on. I'm used to it.....it just comes with the trade.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 05:28 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

^^^ Very true. The Ram ad actually has had a bit of the opposite effect in terms of what people might focus on - the Jeeps sort of get lost in all this. This thread sort of shows how much we're talking about that ad vs the thread title about best ads. It means the other ads weren't that good. Super Bowl LI was also distinguished by not being that great for ads, but being a great game. Same here. Fantastic game. Meh! for ads. So Ram gets the nod for controversey and people upset about it.
Old 02-06-18, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Very true. The Ram ad actually has had a bit of the opposite effect in terms of what people might focus on - the Jeeps sort of get lost in all this. This thread sort of shows how much we're talking about that ad vs the thread title about best ads. It means the other ads weren't that good. Super Bowl LI was also distinguished by not being that great for ads, but being a great game. Same here. Fantastic game. Meh! for ads. So Ram gets the nod for controversey and people upset about it.
Actually, when I saw how well the Wrangler ad crossing the river-bed on the rocks was done, I almost forgot about the others LOL.

There's no denying the Wrangler's capability off-road, despite its rather primitive comfort level in regular driving conditions, on pavement. That's why it's been such a bit hit with the part of the off-road crowd that can't afford to spend 90-100K or more for a Land Cruiser, LX570, Land Rover, or Mercedes G-Wagen.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-18 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 06:05 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
MLK's family didn't see an issue either. I just don't see how using the words of a civil rights icon to sell more trucks is "honoring" MLK? "Official Truck of Civil Rights?"
i guess I just dont make that connection in that way.

but then I don't go looking for issues where there shouldnt be any.

They probably thought it would be good because feb is black history month. But i guess not everybody sees it the way i do.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-06-18 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 07:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i guess I just dont make that connection in that way.

but then I don't go looking for issues where there shouldnt be any.

They probably thought it would be good because feb is black history month. But i guess not everybody sees it the way i do.
That's fine. Then give me a commercial honoring MLK and Black History Month without hocking pickup trucks. That would be a fine commercial.

Quick Reply: Best Automotive Super Bowl Ad?