Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ceramic window tint worth it, also what %?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 08:32 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i didn't think 'factory tint' is a film, i thought it's in the glass?
Originally Posted by LexBob2
Correct. Factory installed privacy glass and window film are two different things.
I had no idea. When I took my last IS in for tint it had a film on it so clear I hadn't noticed. May have been aftermarket...I just assumed factory installed.
Old 06-15-21, 09:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I was thinking the same thing. Possible they didn't remove the very light factory tint.
Its in the glass, can't be removed.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
the factory shade of tint should be the same across the rear windshield to the side windows, so the impact should be the same if the same tint was used. it's possible they used a different roll of the same tint since the rear is much wider than the windows for less wasted material. your ES i believe didn't come from the factory with privacy glass, but i could be wrong.
Not true. If you look at the glass markings often the rear and front windshields and the side glass are different manufacturers and the tint is slightly different, you would never notice until tint is applied. More reflective tints amplify this.On my 15 LS460 there was a HUGE difference from the front to rear windows when I had huper optik tint which had some reflectivity. On my S560 the rear window looks purple tinted while the side windows look green.

nfrared glass is just a feature of the glass, not the shade of glass necessarily, which helps things like UV penetration. case in point my subaru from the factory has 0% UV penetration in the windshield, and only 20% on the rest whether tinted or not. i still tinted it all (even the windshield) with llumar formula one pinnacle ceramic haha!
IR Glass usually has a somewhat mirrored look. It certainly does on my S Class.
Old 06-15-21, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
On my S560 the rear window looks purple tinted while the side windows look green.
wow, is it very noticeable? can you take a pic showing this?
Old 06-15-21, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, is it very noticeable? can you take a pic showing this?
The difference is not that noticeable, but the reflective nature of the widows is noticeable for sure. I'll try and get it in a picture
Old 06-15-21, 01:38 PM
NewSlang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its in the glass, can't be removed.

Not true. If you look at the glass markings often the rear and front windshields and the side glass are different manufacturers and the tint is slightly different, you would never notice until tint is applied. More reflective tints amplify this.On my 15 LS460 there was a HUGE difference from the front to rear windows when I had huper optik tint which had some reflectivity. On my S560 the rear window looks purple tinted while the side windows look green.

IR Glass usually has a somewhat mirrored look. It certainly does on my S Class.
Actually I do notice the reflections on my windows a LOT more after having tint put on them as well. Maybe the IR and UV reduction glass is causing the slide green hue?
Old 06-15-21, 02:57 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

i understand what you are describing. i've seen the windshields on S-classes and other higher end makes like Range Rover to have some other film or coating on them to make them appear purple likely to reduce glare and other heat benefits akin to that type of vehicle. my comment about the windows being the same were on our plebian vehicles !
Old 06-16-21, 07:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewSlang
Actually I do notice the reflections on my windows a LOT more after having tint put on them as well. Maybe the IR and UV reduction glass is causing the slide green hue?
Yep, it is.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i understand what you are describing. i've seen the windshields on S-classes and other higher end makes like Range Rover to have some other film or coating on them to make them appear purple likely to reduce glare and other heat benefits akin to that type of vehicle. my comment about the windows being the same were on our plebian vehicles !
Its the heating elements in the glass, IR rejection etc. On Lexue vehicles though there may very well be a difference depending on the trim of the vehicle. If you have front laminated glass and rear tempered glass and you have a reflective film, the difference is HUGE.
Old 06-16-21, 11:58 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have non-ceramic tint on my Prius and ceramic tint on my IS F and it is a night and day difference in terms of interior temp of the car. I don't necessarily have to turn on the AC in the F as much as I do in the Prius. I forget what percentage I got but no less than 30% in the rear so the front is higher because I don't want to get a fix it ticket. Typically on the scale they give you, I am in the middle for the front and one shade darker for the rear.