Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My SC430 Totaled, parts swap w/ GS430/LS430? Need Everyone's Input!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 07:40 AM
cd727100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My SC430 Totaled, parts swap w/ GS430/LS430? Need Everyone's Input!!

Hi everyone:

I need everyone’s input before making a vehicle decision. I have a totaled SC430 sitting in my garage (details below) and want to buy a 4-door replacement as a daily driver. I’m thinking an older GS430 or LS430, but I need your help with some SC-GS-LS compatibility. Further down is some background info detailing why I’m in this mess. But here are my questions:

(1) How many parts on the ’06-’10 SC430 are “swappable” with those of my ’03 SC430? (ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.) I understand they did something with the transmission in 06—did they change the transmission completely? Or just re-program the ECU? (2) How many parts on the ’01-’05 GS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430? (ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.) (3) How many parts on the ’06-‘07 GS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430? (ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.) The ’06 GS got the new body style, but I’ve “heard” that the engine is the same. What else is? Transmission?

(4a) Regarding the ’01-’06 LS430, did they change the transmission or any other major components at any point in this generation? I know they changed the front/rearend with new headlights/tail lights, bumper, etc. But I’m not sure about engine/tranny parts. So for the LS430…

(4b) How many parts on the ’01-’06 LS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430? (ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.) And is this the same for ’01-’03 and ’04-’06?

Here’s some background info:

In 2014, I bought a pre-owned 2003 Lexus SC430 for $11,000. It was PERFECT, never had an accident, had AMAZING service history, etc. I converted the front end to look like the 06-10 version (with new headlights, grilles, bumper, etc.) as well as the rear-end (replaced tail lights with 06-10 version). I also converted the gauge cluster to the ‘06-‘10 type, and dyed/cleared the interior wood to a darker maroon. Once I was done, and after spendingthousands in upgrades, it looked and ran like a 2010! Here’s a pic of the interior once I finished converting it:

In Jan 2016, my girlfriend was driving my SC430 as she followed me home (I was driving my other car). As we approached a light, she rear-ended me. Yup, I went from having two cars, down to 0 cars in one second. Here’s a pic of the aftermath:

I brought both cars to my body shop and called my insurance. I used insurance to repair my main vehicle, however they were going to total the SC430 and only offered me $7,000 for it. I decided to drop the claim and keep the SC430 as it was, and had it towed in my garage where it’s been since that day. Here are some pictures of it:

The engine WAS running after the accident, however my body shop removed the serpentine belt (no idea why) before I had it towed home. It has been sitting in my garage this way for 2 years. At the time, the body shop estimated that they could repair the front end for ~$6,000, but I never had it repaired. I didn’t take the insurance payout because I saw more than $7,000 and a possible use for its’ parts in the future. Here’s why: The engine, transmission, some suspension parts, lots of sensors, etc. as well as the tires and upgraded rims are in AMAZING condition. Even though the car has 180,000miles, it had been maintained at Lexus at every interval and then some. I downloaded the Lexus service history. See here for PDF: http://freepdfhosting.com/600ce0e8a9.pdf And here’s a screenshot of the CarFax header. The 2016 accident was never included:

And I can’t see putting $6,000 into it for repair, since it’s only worth $7,000….

So here’s my BIG IDEA that I need your help with.My goal is to replace the SC430 with a used 4-door, and I’d like to keep this replacement vehicle for another 10 years or so, without spending too much on future repairs. So… What if I purchased one of the used 4-door Lexus’ I mentioned at the beginning of this thread to replace it—either the ’01-’05 GS430, ’06-’07 GS430, or ’01-’06 LS460? My thought is… since they share so many parts with my ’03 SC430, if anything decided to break (engine, transmission, sensors, etc.) I wouldn’t have to buy costly replacement parts—they’re right in my garage to be swapped! Do you think this would save me money 10yrs down the line? And which of the models/years vehicles shares the most parts with my SC430? Here are the questions I posted above listed again. (1) How many parts on the ’06-’10 SC430 are “swappable” with those of my ’03 SC430? (ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.) I understand they did something with the transmission in 06—did they change the transmission completely? Or just re-program the ECU? (2) How many parts on the ’01-’05 GS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430? (ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.) (3) How many parts on the ’06-‘07 GS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430? (ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.) The ’06 GS got the new body style, but I’ve “heard” that the engine is the same. What else is? Transmission?

(4a) Regarding the ’01-’06 LS430, did they change the transmission or any other major components at any point in this generation? I know they changed the front/rearend with new headlights/tail lights, bumper, etc. But I’m not sure about engine/tranny parts. So for the LS430…

(4b) How many parts on the ’01-’06 LS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430? (ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.) And is this the same for ’01-’03 and ’04-’06?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas!
Old 02-12-18, 08:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about this issue, seriously. I'm crying about a park assist sensor (first world problems), yours is much bigger....

I can tell you that I bought a 2006 LS430 used, 81k, in Oct. 2016, from a new car dealer (GMC). It was a FLA car so likely is above average with rust (live in the northeast).

Besides maintenance, it really has been flawless, until my park assist started acting up last week. So 16 mos. and 21k of problem-free driving, daily. I doubt that my experience is unusual and that buying one used likely can lead to problem-free daily motoring.

I believe that the tranny changed in 2004 and went to no dipstick, and there may have been some software flash to it as well aka TSB. So to avoid any of that, 2005+ does the trick. I still glance online at them, but I filter out by 2006 (just want to see the newest of the 3rd gens). I would think that a lot of the SC's parts are in common with the LS. The '01-'03 LS' have different headlamps and tails went led '04+. Two common issues seem to be the driver door actuator and saggy driver's seat, almost a given.

If your SC was mint prior, I think you made the right move in keeping it...this is always the dilemma, if we care for our cars well, then it's always going to be some lowball figure that insurance offers, and not to our advantage...

Since you are in FLA, you can personally check out many LS430s, if that's what you are thinking, again mine was from Naples and has a dealer sticker on the windshield to authenticate. Good luck and sorry to hear about this....
Old 02-12-18, 11:18 AM
cd727100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about this issue, seriously. I'm crying about a park assist sensor (first world problems), yours is much bigger....

I can tell you that I bought a 2006 LS430 used, 81k, in Oct. 2016, from a new car dealer (GMC). It was a FLA car so likely is above average with rust (live in the northeast).

Besides maintenance, it really has been flawless, until my park assist started acting up last week. So 16 mos. and 21k of problem-free driving, daily. I doubt that my experience is unusual and that buying one used likely can lead to problem-free daily motoring.

I believe that the tranny changed in 2004 and went to no dipstick, and there may have been some software flash to it as well aka TSB. So to avoid any of that, 2005+ does the trick. I still glance online at them, but I filter out by 2006 (just want to see the newest of the 3rd gens). I would think that a lot of the SC's parts are in common with the LS. The '01-'03 LS' have different headlamps and tails went led '04+. Two common issues seem to be the driver door actuator and saggy driver's seat, almost a given.

If your SC was mint prior, I think you made the right move in keeping it...this is always the dilemma, if we care for our cars well, then it's always going to be some lowball figure that insurance offers, and not to our advantage...

Since you are in FLA, you can personally check out many LS430s, if that's what you are thinking, again mine was from Naples and has a dealer sticker on the windshield to authenticate. Good luck and sorry to hear about this....
Thanks for the reply, Johnhav430,

I live in FL and my SC430 was always a FL car, so there's not a spec of rust. There are tons of LS430s and the like down here- i just need to figure out which model/year to get. If you're right about the LS430 transmission changing for '04-'06, I might have to stick with the '01-'03, which I didn't really "want to" because, like you mentioned, the old headlights and tail lights, as well as the old nav screen type/quality. I'd really prefer the '04-'06 LS430... But then I'd be in the same boat (with the different transmission) as I would be if i choose the '06-'07 GS430, which I'd prefer over the LS430 since it has a more modern body style.

There are so many variables!
Old 02-13-18, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

really sorry to hear about your restored sc430 and it looks like your other car that got hit is a bentley

inquiring minds want to know, are you still dating your girlfriend?
Old 02-13-18, 08:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Ok, I know that every situation is different, but I think it's wonderful to be in the OPs situation, and able to be good natured about it! I would be thankful for that, I know personally I would get upset. 2 good cars to 0, in one second. At the same time, look at the recent winning quarterback from the Super Bowl. His words, are to be admired. So if this mishap is the result of a girlfriend, and OP is ok with it and focused on the resolution, not angry, that is super awesome!! I mean (selfish me) somebody at daycare scraped my wife's car, huge rubber mark on the rear left 1/4, it's newer, and worth double+ my LS430, and I was glad it was hers, not mine hahahahahahahahaha (she was very upset, but relieved I got it all out and it only left a convex ding--she really doesn't care about cars but asked me 3X if I had a chance to try to fix it).

So if still interested in a LS430, my .02 driving one daily is I would be looking for a FLA car, 2006, ideally the door sticker says 6/06, as opposed to 9/05 for production....I'd like one with the Custom Luxury aka CL package, but not Ultra Luxury (to avoid the air suspension repairs and refrigerator).

The CL's can be spotted because they have headlamp washers, but they do not have buttons for the suspension ride height. You also get laminated side glass (what's the big deal my wife's has it and I didn't even know, but I want it!). The CLs can have custom aniline leather--these are nice touches since on the used market they don't fetch any more $$$$. My ideal mileage if possible is around 70-80k....no accidents, all its life in FLA, I'd be open to color but owning a moonlight pearl I do like it (paint code is 072).....
Old 02-13-18, 08:41 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Honestly...my opinion?

Keep it and fix it slowly. Obviously you don't NEED it right now since it has been sitting for 2 years. You have done a lot to it and made it yours. Looks like a fair amount of damage, but if it was running, odds are good that it is 90% cosmetic, and maybe 10% mechanical/suspension/AC etc...

You have a garage, (albeit a tight workspace from the looks of things), and with some youtube and forum help, I am betting you could fix it, and then take it somewhere and have it painted to match.

If that isn't an option, I would get another one and swap all of your parts over.
Old 02-13-18, 09:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Old 02-13-18, 12:58 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I take it you kept the SC430 and got rid of the girlfriend?

In all seriousness, I have a 2002 GS430 with 200k miles and a 2006 GS430 with 110k miles. I bought the 02 with around 80k miles and I have never done anything beyond normal maintenance. It's been a tank and is still quick and solid at 15 years old. My 06 was bought a little over a year ago with 92k miles and has had a few issues, but nothing too major. It is not as solid as the 02 in terms of rattles, vibrations, etc. I love both, but the 01-05 GS430 is a bit more cushy riding and less sporty. The 06 isn't a fan of the potholed streets here in LA. I also still haven't gotten used to the electronic brake system in the 06, as they are very touchy.

The 01-05 GS430 is know to have some issues with a few things: door lock actuators, servo motors (sounds like a rat living in the dashboard at times) and suspension issues (control arms/bushings). Beyond that, they are very solid cars. It's hard to find a good one on the used market b/c people hang onto them and drive them into the ground. The 06-07 GS430 has a few known issues as well: rattles, alternator and brake actuator. These are also fairly rare, especially the 07.

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-13-18, 11:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

You already have the gem you need... get it fixed. The car does not look to be wrecked that bad. Letting it sit like that is just torture and adding fuel to the fire.
Old 04-07-18, 04:51 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

@ 8
you mentioned "a few rattles"
did you ever fix the rattles? just curious because I have a rattle in the dashboard; sounds like a heavier cable touching something . If you had the same issue I would be interested to find out how you fixed it.
the thread discussed many "reliability" issues. Often buyers confuse this with "it does not need any money to be spend on it". Even maintenance can run you considerable costs. But when comparing cost of parts to other brands you will find that the luxury Lex is not more expensive. What drives the cost up nowadays is the labor. Some Lexus dealers charging up to 180/hr. Does not take much to get into the 4 digit territory.
But find a good indi and the cost of maintaining a Lexus is acceptable. Of course the older the car gets the more needs to be replaced. It becomes an ongoing thing.
The most expensive replacements on a LS430 could be the airsuspension parts. Fortunately you can fix this once and for all with a coilover suspension. For little more than the cost of one strut you can change to a reliable and adjustable suspension system. My prev owner changed three of them. When I looked at the service record I paid just as much for the whole car in 2015.
But I must say: I drove Bimmers since 1969 and the 01 LS is the best car I had so far..
Old 04-07-18, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by semar
But I must say: I drove Bimmers since 1969
The BMW 2002? It was considered the first modern sport sedan. One of my former Flight Instructors had one. I drove it several times for him when he was out of town.

Old 04-08-18, 01:46 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

the 2002tii was fun to drive, especially when it was completely restored after 13 years and had many, many goodies installed, including a Korman stage II engine (bulletproof, blueprinted)

the 1988 735i was more of a cruiser, sold when it was 28 years old
Old 04-12-18, 03:02 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi CD727100, I love the updates you've made to your SC and I like the fact that you've decided to keep it. That said, here's a good inspiration thread to aid your decisions on bringing her back. With a little savvy thinking outside the box I'm sure you could get her back on the road again with economical OEM parts to boot. Good luck!
Old 04-12-18, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow the Bentley really took the impact like a champ! Guess it could have been worse though.. the gf could of been driving the Bentley