Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 07:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Why the drop with Toyota?
Old 02-14-18, 07:30 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Let's use common sense, Porsche and Buick, #2 and #3. Likely this is about as valid as the Gartner Magic Quadrant and Genies in a Bottle, BMW tied with Toyota and above Nissan and Honda.
Which recent Porsche models have you had reliability experience with?
Old 02-14-18, 07:56 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yikes for Chrysler
I love the position Cry Slur is in
Old 02-14-18, 08:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I love the position Cry Slur is in
Manufacturers do pay for access to the JD Power info. I doubt Chrysler is on the list of manufacturers list of those companies who pay.
Old 02-14-18, 10:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Let's use common sense, Porsche and Buick, #2 and #3. Likely this is about as valid as the Gartner Magic Quadrant and Genies in a Bottle, BMW tied with Toyota and above Nissan and Honda.
Opel-based Buicks are, in fact, very well-built and reliable. That is not a fluke. Something else that contributes to Buick reliability is that, in general, they are owned by conservative drivers who do not stress their vehicles much.
Old 02-14-18, 10:38 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Why the drop with Toyota?
well i've encountered a brand new unsold C-HR where the electric parking brake (only option) broke and wouldn't turn off lol, and the new camry just doesn't seem like it'll still be golden in two decades whereas a nice 1998 camry still feels great assuming it's not beaten to hell
Old 02-14-18, 10:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i've encountered a brand new unsold C-HR where the electric parking brake (only option) broke and wouldn't turn off lol, and the new camry just doesn't seem like it'll still be golden in two decades whereas a nice 1998 camry still feels great assuming it's not beaten to hell

I examined a new C-HR not long ago, sitting on the lot, where the entire lower-dash plastic trim panel (which was almost paper-thin plastic to start with) had been misaligned and sprung during assembly. One end of it hung out into space, and partially covered the engine start/stop button. I tried to repair it myself, but couldn't...I didn't have my tool box with me.
Old 02-15-18, 06:49 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I examined a new C-HR not long ago, sitting on the lot, where the entire lower-dash plastic trim panel (which was almost paper-thin plastic to start with) had been misaligned and sprung during assembly. One end of it hung out into space, and partially covered the engine start/stop button. I tried to repair it myself, but couldn't...I didn't have my tool box with me.
One (and just one) C-HR that you saw with a loose dashboard does not mean that the C-HR will be an unreliable vehicle, or that Toyota, as a brand, is going to h&ll in a handbasket, reliability-wise. Did you ask why the dashboard was loose? Perhaps the dealer had removed the dashboard to access something behind it and did not properly re-install it?

I have frequently seen Buicks with driver and left-rear passenger doors terribly misaligned, so much so that I would be afraid that door seals would be misaligned and leak, yet Buick is constantly high up the reliability ratings, as you like to constantly point out.
Old 02-15-18, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
One (and just one) C-HR that you saw with a loose dashboard does not mean that the C-HR will be an unreliable vehicle, or that Toyota, as a brand, is going to h&ll in a handbasket, reliability-wise. Did you ask why the dashboard was loose? Perhaps the dealer had removed the dashboard to access something behind it and did not properly re-install it?
Not likely, but possible.....Still had some of the factory-wrappings on it, and I don't recall it having a VA safety-sticker (which all new cars get when they are unloaded of the truck and go through the state-required inspection process that makes them legally ready for a test-drive).

Look, I'm not just picking on Toyota here. It is true that any new car can have defects.....but, in my experience, stuff like that today is rare. And Toyota prides itself on quality....so there's not a whole lot of excuse for it. Contrast that to what I saw from Chrysler Corporation in the late 1960s and early 70s....or, say, the GM X-Body cars and Pontiac Fiero of the early/mid-1980s. If I described those lemons to you, you would probably not believe it. You would have had to have seen those cars for yourself...and, of course, that's a topic for another thread.

I have frequently seen Buicks with driver and left-rear passenger doors terribly misaligned, so much so that I would be afraid that door seals would be misaligned and leak, yet Buick is constantly high up the reliability ratings, as you like to constantly point out.
Buicks aren't perfect. I never said that. I also said (if you've bothered to read my posts) that Buicks are often bought and driven by people who tend to drive conservatively and not put a lot of stress on engine, transmissions, suspensions, and brakes. Contrast that, of course, with many of those who drive V8 Mustangs.
Old 02-15-18, 07:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not likely, but possible.....Still had some of the factory-wrappings on it, and I don't recall it having a VA safety-sticker (which all new cars get when they are unloaded of the truck and go through the state-required inspection process that makes them legally ready for a test-drive).

Look, I'm not just picking on Toyota here. It is true that any new car can have defects.....but, in my experience, stuff like that today is rare. And Toyota prides itself on quality....so there's not a whole lot of excuse for it. Contrast that to what I saw from Chrysler Corporation in the late 1960s and early 70s....or, say, the GM X-Body cars and Pontiac Fiero of the early/mid-1980s. If I described those lemons to you, you would probably not believe it. You would have had to have seen those cars for yourself...and, of course, that's a topic for another thread.

Buicks aren't perfect. I never said that. I also said (if you've bothered to read my posts) that Buicks are often bought and driven by people who tend to drive conservatively and not put a lot of stress on engine, transmissions, suspensions, and brakes. Contrast that, of course, with many of those who drive V8 Mustangs.
Gotta say, Buick sure gets a lot of attention on this forum. It is pretty amazing. I do find it interesting that old LaCrosse made the list of most dependable but the Opel based models are nowhere to be found. Unless I missed it
Old 02-15-18, 07:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Gotta say, Buick sure gets a lot of attention on this forum. It is pretty amazing. I do find it interesting that old LaCrosse made the list of most dependable but the Opel based models are nowhere to be found. Unless I missed it
This is operative phrase.
Old 02-15-18, 07:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Manufacturers do pay for access to the JD Power info. I doubt Chrysler is on the list of manufacturers list of those companies who pay.
I'm pretty sure all OEMs take these surveys seriously due to the marketability and perceptions that they create (for better or for worse). I doubt that there is a manufacturer out there that DOESN'T pay for the detailed survey results. I'm sure even tiny Mitsubishi forks over the subscription/data fee.
Old 02-15-18, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta say, Buick sure gets a lot of attention on this forum. It is pretty amazing.

With at least some reason. Like it or not, since Cadillac is decreasing in importance, it has (arguably) become the prime American-brand Lexus-competitor.....though Lincoln is making some major steps forward, especially with the Navigator.

Though, I'll admit....Lexus does a wider range of vehicles than Buick, and Buick has no direct competitor for some of them....for instance, the Lexus LS.

I do find it interesting that old LaCrosse made the list of most dependable but the Opel based models are nowhere to be found. Unless I missed it
The old Lacrosse got a number of different reliability-ratings, from a number of different sources. It seemed to be like the first couple-generations of the Ford Taurus....some of them quite good, others unreliable.

With Consumer Reports, the rebadged Opel-Buicks have significantly more reliable ratings than the Lacrosse and Enclave, though I notice that, with Buick, Consumer Reports seems to be up and down on the reliability...other vehicle brands tend to be more stable, either good or bad.
Old 02-15-18, 07:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Though, I'll admit....Lexus does a wider range of vehicles than Buick, and Buick has no direct competitor for some of them....for instance, the Lexus LS.
Or the RC, GS, GX, LX, CT, NXh, GSh, RXh, IS, or the LC

I give Buick more street cred than the others on here, almost everyone will tell you Buick is not a luxury brand. I think it is but I am not willing to say it is on the same level as a Lexus. Maybe an Acura. I would argue Lincoln is far closer to Lexus than Buick is.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-15-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-15-18, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I'm pretty sure all OEMs take these surveys seriously due to the marketability and perceptions that they create (for better or for worse). I doubt that there is a manufacturer out there that DOESN'T pay for the detailed survey results. I'm sure even tiny Mitsubishi forks over the subscription/data fee.

I'm honestly surprised that Mitsubishi is still in the American market. They are down to three basic products....and one of them, the Mirage, is basically a toy. Like Isuzi and Suzuki did before they left, They've let their dealership numbers sink down to next to nothing....you often have to travel quite a distance just to look at or test-drive their products. They didn't even show up at the D.C auto show...though, for that matter, Cadillac and Mercedes didn't either, and Mitsu did have a small display at Detroit.

You have complained, before, that I don't admit being wrong often enough. Well, Mitsubishi did surprise me. Several times now, I've commented that I'd be surprised if they lasted another year in the American market. Well, each year, so far, they have, indeed, managed to do it....at least on paper.

Quick Reply: 2018 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS)