Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
you're wrong tho, look it up - MM did NOT mention Buick first (or second)
Thanks, bagwell. That's often the case.
Old 02-15-18, 02:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're correct..........the biggest gainers have been the Koreans. Kia and Hyundai both went from making some of the worst vehicles in the industry in the 1990s to some of the best in the 2000s and later. And today, of course, we have Genesis.
I agree. But everyone has upped there game too. GM was also making some really pathetic stuff in the early to mid 90s.

Hyundai sales are slagging for three years in a row. So people aren’t ditching their Toyota’s or Honda’s. I will say, from what I am seeing. I think we will see Honda and Toyota at the top, then Hyundai followed by the American brands.
Old 02-15-18, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I agree. But everyone has upped there game too. GM was also making some really pathetic stuff in the early to mid 90s.

Hyundai sales are slagging for three years in a row. So people aren’t ditching their Toyota’s or Honda’s. I will say, from what I am seeing. I think we will see Honda and Toyota at the top, then Hyundai followed by the American brands.
The current market is shifting more by class/vehicle-type than by specific brands. In general, SUV and CUVs have been the winners; sedans, particularly larger family and entry-level luxury sedans, have been the losers.

Perhaps, to some extent, you could also say that pure-electrics and extended-range, plug-in hybrids are also gaining as the charging-infrastructure for them gradually expands.
Old 02-15-18, 04:29 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

How has it been a flop?
the moving maps doesn't always work, and pretty much everyone i've seen who's bought one hates that it's impossible to get navigation that doesn't rely on your phone without getting a v6 model and even then it's an option
Old 02-15-18, 04:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the moving maps doesn't always work, and pretty much everyone i've seen who's bought one hates that it's impossible to get navigation that doesn't rely on your phone without getting a v6 model and even then it's an option
Ok. I see what you mean.
Old 02-15-18, 04:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
If people don’t like that they have to use their phone to get navigation, they won’t like CarPlay either. My sister has CarPlay and hates it for this reason. “Why do I have to plug my phone in to get my map?”
Old 02-17-18, 05:38 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I think these lists are bunch nonsense. How can Chevrolet be in the top 6 but Cadillac in the bottom 6? Personally, the worst reliable car I ever owned was a BMW, but nobody surveyed me.
Old 02-17-18, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I think these lists are bunch nonsense. How can Chevrolet be in the top 6 but Cadillac in the bottom 6? Personally, the worst reliable car I ever owned was a BMW, but nobody surveyed me.
If you had followed earlier threads and posts, there's already been a lot of talk about this. Many Cadillac owners list "problems" with the CUE video-screen as gripes with their vehicle....when, in reality, they either don't know how to use the system, the system doesn't perform up to their expectations, or just the (yes) crappy design of the system to start with, which, for many functions, can be less than user-friendly. Consumer Reports, several times, has had the same results with their surveys, and are generally not fans of the CUE system themselves.
Old 02-17-18, 06:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

We would never allow pharmaceuticals to be ranked the way CR or JD Power or Gartner do (unscientifically with too small a population to draw any conclusions producing completely unreliable results).

Again, I own a 2007 335i coupe purchased new (one could say there's your mistake already--you're gonna bear the depreciation). It made the CR avoid list, and most unreliable list. So buying a factory extended warranty was a no-brainer. Well, I got nothing out of it, because the car was reliable. Then, 9 yrs. later, 2 yrs. after the 7/100 ran out, the ABS failed. It's a $4,200 job at the dealer, which forced me to DIY for about $4xx. People who have the tools/software can do this job for $290 or so.

What I've learned is the secret to many cars, not just German, is DIY. Someone on youtube had a t shirt that said I am my warranty or something like that. Buy these cars used, fix them yourself after they've depreciated, and let the haters hate your features that are generations ahead of their reliable car!
Old 02-17-18, 06:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

If people don’t like that they have to use their phone to get navigation, they won’t like CarPlay either. My sister has CarPlay and hates it for this reason. “Why do I have to plug my phone in to get my map?”
I'm driving a brand new Jeep right now, it had like 700km on the odometer when I got it at the airport. No comment on the build quality of the vehicle, I'm rather surprised.

Anyway, the navigation reminds me of my 2010 Garmin that I've stopped using. Well, it says Garmin. I put up with it since Ontario is so strict about not using anything except hands-free. But I can't imagine using this over a smartphone in the States.
Old 02-17-18, 01:57 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
We would never allow pharmaceuticals to be ranked the way CR or JD Power or Gartner do (unscientifically with too small a population to draw any conclusions producing completely unreliable results).

Again, I own a 2007 335i coupe purchased new (one could say there's your mistake already--you're gonna bear the depreciation). It made the CR avoid list, and most unreliable list. So buying a factory extended warranty was a no-brainer. Well, I got nothing out of it, because the car was reliable. Then, 9 yrs. later, 2 yrs. after the 7/100 ran out, the ABS failed. It's a $4,200 job at the dealer, which forced me to DIY for about $4xx. People who have the tools/software can do this job for $290 or so.

What I've learned is the secret to many cars, not just German, is DIY. Someone on youtube had a t shirt that said I am my warranty or something like that. Buy these cars used, fix them yourself after they've depreciated, and let the haters hate your features that are generations ahead of their reliable car!
Exactly and even if you can’t do it yourself an independent mechanic is far cheaper than the sterlership.
Old 02-17-18, 02:10 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you had followed earlier threads and posts, there's already been a lot of talk about this. Many Cadillac owners list "problems" with the CUE video-screen as gripes with their vehicle....when, in reality, they either don't know how to use the system, the system doesn't perform up to their expectations, or just the (yes) crappy design of the system to start with, which, for many functions, can be less than user-friendly. Consumer Reports, several times, has had the same results with their surveys, and are generally not fans of the CUE system themselves.
The Cue system has nothing to do with reliability. So in my mind the list is bogus.

It's when you turn the key and nothing happens. My BMW did to me more than once far from home and it wasn't a dead battery. The BMW had electrical gremlins.
Old 02-17-18, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Cue system has nothing to do with reliability. So in my mind the list is bogus.
I tend to agree.....I wasn't really arguing against your position. But that's the way many people judge reliability nowadays.....not by the number of physical breakdowns leaving you stranded (which, in general, are much fewer than in past years), but by how much trouble they have screwing around with the electronics.
Old 02-18-18, 07:04 AM
rogerh00
Racer

If that is true then the problem is with JD Power and how they conduct a survey. Not being happy with your navigation or other electronics should not be in their survey for dependbility. When I look at that list I'm expecting those vehicle brands to be listed by how many owners had trouble with their engine, transmission, brakes, etc. I had issues with my last Lexus with the nav and touch pad but it was the most dependable car you can have by far. I have issues with my new Cadillac XT5 and it's dash controls but so far it's a reliable vehicle. It's just like their initial quality list it's all about the electronics another bogus list.

I've owned vehicles for 56 yrs now and have never been surveyed by JD Power who ever that is.