Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Dodge/Chrysler now offer a large SUV in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wouldn’t call it second rate in any way. Definitely nicer materials compared to an 08 Tahoe at the time

I can't totally agree with that. GM made huge improvements in the Tahoe's interior for 2007...the difference was like night and day, though, of course, the new ones are even better.

I would call the Tahoe and Yukon at the time last in the segement that is for sure. The Tahoe looked like they pulled the interior directly from the Chevrolet Imapla and Buick Lucerne at the time, sad as the Impala has been a rental car type model for years.
The Impala was a rental-grade POS up to the 10Gen model for 2014, when tremendous improvements were made over the 9Gen. I reviewed a new Impala in 2014, and my own notes in the review were that it was the best new Impala since at least the 1970s, near its heyday. A number of publications agreed with me....and Consumer Reports gave it the highest-scoring road-test of any sedan they had ever sampled, short of a far more expensive Lexus LS, Tesla Model S, and Mercedes S-550. How's that for a rental-car?
Old 02-18-18, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Let's not get too far off-topic, BTW, into GM and Toyota vehicles. The main question up for discussion is should Dodge introduce a true full-size body-on-frame SUV to compete with other similar American-badged competitors? Given the growing market for these vehicles here, I think it's a valid option....something that Dodge and Chrysler have ducked for some time.
Old 02-18-18, 06:04 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

CDJR needs to turn into JR....
Let Jeep do the rugged CUV/SUV and Ram for the trucks..
Jeep Commander was such a trashy car, I had to return it after a day of rental..

So no.. I think they'll need another bailout as soon as gas prices go up.. let it dieeee.
Old 02-18-18, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
CDJR needs to turn into JR....
Let Jeep do the rugged CUV/SUV and Ram for the trucks..
Jeep Commander was such a trashy car, I had to return it after a day of rental..

So no.. I think they'll need another bailout as soon as gas prices go up.. let it dieeee.
What concerns me is that Sergio Marchionne doesn't even want to hold onto the corporation in the long run. He has been looking for a buyer for the whole FCA corporation several years now....not just for Chrysler.
Old 02-19-18, 06:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's not get too far off-topic, BTW, into GM and Toyota vehicles. The main question up for discussion is should Dodge introduce a true full-size body-on-frame SUV to compete with other similar American-badged competitors? Given the growing market for these vehicles here, I think it's a valid option....something that Dodge and Chrysler have ducked for some time.
You must have blinders on. There is no growing market for a Chrysler body on frame full size SUV. Like I mentioned already, Explorer, Trailblazer, Durango, Commander, FJ Cruiser, and KIA Boreggo have all either been discontinued or moved over to a cross over type model. Better than the poor idea of making a body on frame full size vehicle. Chrysler should make a large cross over (think GL or bigger) that would be appeal to full size body on frame owners to perhaps ditch the BOF vehicles and move to the large cross over. Chrysler should try to be first to the segment within American brands. This would be an idea that I could fully support.
Old 02-19-18, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You must have blinders on. There is no growing market for a Chrysler body on frame full size SUV.
No, I don't think I have blinders on at all. What if Chrysler made a nice competitor to the new Navigator, for instance? Despite the Escalade's solid market share, many are not impressed with it, and Chrysler provides no competition.

Like I mentioned already, Explorer, Trailblazer, Durango, Commander, FJ Cruiser, and KIA Boreggo have all either been discontinued or moved over to a cross over type model. Better than the poor idea of making a body on frame full size vehicle. Chrysler should make a large cross over (think GL or bigger) that would be appeal to full size body on frame owners to perhaps ditch the BOF vehicles and move to the large cross over. Chrysler should try to be first to the segment within American brands. This would be an idea that I could fully support.
I don't necessarily disagree with much of what you are saying. But a better idea than that, IMO, would be to offer something no one else currently does in the American market...a classic 2-door SUV with retro-shoe-box styling. We haven't seen that, here in the U.S. for some 20 years, with the last 2-door Broncos, Blazers, and Ramchargers. It doesn't necessarily have to be full-sized...indeed, a good concept was this teaser-photo of something that Ford was (supposedly) considering for the new Bronco. Of course, we now know that the next Bronco, due for 2020, will probably be just a derivative of the 4-door Ranger.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-19-18 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 07:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I don't think I have blinders on at all. What if Chrysler made a nice competitor to the new Navigator, for instance? Despite the Escalade's solid market share, many are not impressed with it, and Chrysler provides no competition.
Who is not impressed with it? It’s the best selling full size SUV and Cadillacs only product that people who own better or superior brands will add to their garages to go along with their Audi car or MB 2 door.

Not just that, it also won a recent Motor Trend comparison versus the RR, GL, and LX

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-20-18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-19-18, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Who is not impressed with it?
From what I've read, It rides too stiffly for some people, mechanical reliability has been worse than average (even apart from the CUE system), and recent versions, along with its sisters Suburban/Tahoe and Yukon have has complaints about drumming noises at road-speeds from the way the roof sheet-metal is designed and flexes.
Not just that, it also won a recent Motor Trend comparison versus the RR, GL, and LX
Depends on how one uses it. It couldn't touch a RR off-road.