Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

8 Unforgettable Lexus Commercials

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 10:57 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 8 Unforgettable Lexus Commercials

8 Unforgettable Lexus Commercials
By Tony Greene

With the Lexus and the Black Panther fresh in our minds, we thought it would be fun to look back at some of the best Lexus commercials of all time.
Old 02-22-18, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

IMO the best ones were back in the 1990s, with the smooth voice of James (Mr. Lexus) Sloyan. They emphasized the refined nature and the (then) unmatched build quality of Lexus products......not as the Hip-Hop, MTV, sport-oriented vehicles of today.

These two were my personal favorites:

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-22-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 09:42 AM
SlowSedan
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Lexus has always had great commercials. One of the most memorable of any commercial for me is this one.

Old 02-26-18, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlowSedan
Lexus has always had great commercials. One of the most memorable of any commercial for me is this one.
Welcome to CL as a new poster. Agreed.....that is definitely one of the better classic Lexus ads.
Old 02-27-18, 01:51 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowSedan

Lexus 'Moments'
I love everything about this commercial. First time seeing it. Thanks for sharing, SlowSedan.
Old 02-27-18, 03:40 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Something wicked this way comes

Yes, the rolling marble and the wine glass were great commercials.
Surprised I never saw that "moment" commercial.

Here was when Lexus wasn't afraid of the hp war and was competitive in the hp dept

"...the fastest automatic sedan in the world".

Last edited by GS3Tek; 02-27-18 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 08:29 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Not a commercial but a magazine ad that I liked. It was a while back and I found it in an old magazine. It was for the 90's LS400 and it was describing the ECT button as a "remedy" for "That little annoying sports car".
Old 02-28-18, 08:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most car ads are an insult to the viewers' intelligence, but once in a while you do find ads that try to not just go with the usual, handsome man/pretty girl trope or some sort exclusive thing you're missing.

Some ads find a nice balance between SFX and story in a short form. I like this one for Lexus in particular. Really has some pop because you push the button on a hybrid LC and then it just seems like the car takes you away.

Old 02-28-18, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Most car ads today are an insult to the viewers' intelligence,
Updated for you.

I won't get into it too deeply here, because it would drag the thread at least partly off-topic, but IMO, some of the best and most effective ads I ever saw in the automotive department were the smooth-talking James "Mr. Lexus" Sloyan ads of the 1990s and, years before that, the smart, perky VW ads of the 60s and 70s, touting their rear-engine, air-cooled vehicles.

Old 02-28-18, 09:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO the best ones were back in the 1990s, with the smooth voice of James (Mr. Lexus) Sloyan. They emphasized the refined nature and the (then) unmatched build quality of Lexus products......not as the Hip-Hop, MTV, sport-oriented vehicles of today.

These two were my personal favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AktHnnA9QIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0fGw0kvAzs
I completely agree. I feel that was a time when Lexus was most direct in focus. The pinnacle of what the brand stood for, without any confusion or caving into the flashy, flaky, unhealthy, and selfish trends of today's youth and hip-hop culture. Sloyan's voice was the opitome of stodgy, half-dead, smart money old men, which subliminally sold the car on it's own. If I have a pick with the whole thing, it's the dubbed in sound of the LS's engine revving to 145 mph. It would not have that high-pitched tinny note.
Old 02-28-18, 09:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If I have a pick with the whole thing, it's the dubbed in sound of the LS's engine revving to 145 mph. It would not have that high-pitched tinny note.
It normally would not be on the road.....but, remember, this is a simulated 145 MPH on a set of rollers, which could set up different sound-wave patterns from an asphalt or concrete road.
Old 02-28-18, 10:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It normally would not be on the road.....but, remember, this is a simulated 145 MPH on a set of rollers, which could set up different sound-wave patterns from an asphalt or concrete road.
The fact that car did 145mph in 1990 is great advertising in and of itself. I had a 1991 Cadillac Brougham, topped it out at 105mph, felt like it was going to fly apart at that speed.

As for that ad for the 1992 ES300, man I still think that is one of the best Lexus sedan designs ever. It was rather aggressive with that low chin spoiler, those dual projector beam headlights, that low hood line, the frame-less door glass, that subtle but upturned deck lid that formed a bit of a spoiler, just something about that first gen ES300 design was righteous in the way all those small details were executed along with how proportional it looked, it was rounded but still had a lot of straight creases that made sense.

While this is cool, IMO it feels way too computer animiated. Those old Lexus commericals used practical effects and looked a lot more real.