Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody else think their "crappy" car is better for the daily commute . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 11:57 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah my pops just DDs a new Camry. His Bimmers are expensive to maintain now that they are out of warranty. The Camry isn't as safe or comfortable as the other cars but at the end of the day for him money talks.
Old 02-24-18, 12:24 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Lol whats funny about this is that my 16 year old ES is my daily, i stopped driving my ram unless i need to tow/haul something or date night with wifey. All other daily tasks go to the ES. My wife commutes in her civic which is phenomenal on gas but horrifically uncomfortable for more than a short trip.
Old 02-24-18, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
i stopped driving my ram unless i need to tow/haul something or date night with wifey. All other daily tasks go to the ES.
I take it you drive it enough to keep the battery charged and the engine/drivetrain lubricated.
Old 02-24-18, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Yeah my pops just DDs a new Camry. His Bimmers are expensive to maintain now that they are out of warranty. The Camry isn't as safe or comfortable as the other cars but at the end of the day for him money talks.
driving a new camry to supposedly save money on maintenance on bmws sitting around makes zero financial sense to me. not to mention a fan of bmws will find driving a camry like watching grass grow.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-25-18 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 09:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 244 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

driving a new camry to supposedly save money on maintenance of bmws sitting around makes zero sense.
not to mention a fan of bmws will find driving a camry like watching grass grow.
depends on the bimmer i guess, i've driven a 2014ish 320xi and holy crap how boring that was... not only is it legit slower than a new camry but the smaller engine with the even smaller turbo just gives it a very boring flat power delivery. handles corners very nice but for about double the price of the camry you get less power, fewer safety features, and not even a backup camera! you also feel a lot more vibrations from the road and i'm sure it uses more fuel too.

in response to brownpride, what isn't as safe about a new camry? are we talking pre-2018? because the brand new ones will literally stop themselves and steer you back into the lane automatically (depending on your settings)
Old 02-25-18, 03:30 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I take it you drive it enough to keep the battery charged and the engine/drivetrain lubricated.
oh yeah, it still gets driven 2x a week or so. I just don't need to drive it every day, so I don't. The ES is better on gas, cheaper to maintain and honestly, more comfortable. The Ram is paid for, and I don't think any homeowner should ever be without a truck. Even if its a small one. There are so many times it has come in handy and saved me money on delivery fees, etc. It's nice to be able to go to a store, see something, some large item, that I want and be able to take it home right then if I want to. Also, having a truck bed comes in handy for hauling things for projects that are dirty, like landscape brick, lumber, and firewood. I would forever be vacuuming an SUV or car.

A good example: last November we moved into our brand-new house. In the first week, I had to buy a fridge and a few large pieces of furniture. Each of those Items would have cost over $100 to have delivered (because I live 20 minutes outside McKinney TX). But because I had my truck, I was able to take it all home in one day for the cost of my fuel. Another good example: in my last house, the water heater split and leaked everywhere. I knew how to change it, so I shut off the water at the curb, jumped in the truck and went to Lowe's. I grabbed a water heater and put it in the truck. If I had to have it delivered I would have been without water for days.