Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 04:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The reason the Envision was brought over from China was because the Buick brand didn't have anything to offer between the compact Encore and full size Enclave. Its Chevy and GMC siblings did.

It doesn't matter about all that other stuff about discounts or value etc. GM is a gigantic corporation, they know all this stuff and they know where their money comes from. It's just some extra dollars from sales in the US anyway.
It does matter. It’s about making money. There is a reason why Toyota is the only car brand on the Top 10 most valued brands along with Apple, Microsoft and Coca Cola. You seem to be too young to remember when GM was actually good....the best there was actually.
Old 02-24-18, 04:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It does matter. It’s about making money. There is a reason why Toyota is the only car brand on the Top 10 most valued brands along with Apple, Microsoft and Coca Cola. You seem to be too young to remember when GM was actually good....the best there was actually.
I didn't know that Mary Barra and the GM board of directors participated on CL's Club Chat. Running a multi-billion dollar corp on the basis of the pluses and minuses of one singular vehicle in the Buick lineup that is the measure of profitability? Lol.
Old 02-24-18, 04:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't know that Mary Barra and the GM board of directors participated on CL's Club Chat. Running a multi-billion dollar corp on the basis of the pluses and minuses of one singular vehicle in the Buick lineup that is the measure of profitability? Lol.
GM is pretty good across their range. They are not the leader they once were. Their market share in NA was once 5-7 million plus in the 80s and 90s. Even higher in 70s. They now sell about as much as Toyota does around 3.5 million. They have been in decline for a long time. They do not make the profit Toyota does.
Old 02-24-18, 05:02 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

GM is pretty good across their range. They are not the leader they once were. Their market share in NA was once 5-7 million plus in the 80s and 90s. Even higher in 70s. They now sell about as much as Toyota does around 3.5 million. They have been in decline for a long time. They do not make the profit Toyota does.
Of course they are not the leader in that respect and Toyota earned its position over the decades, there is no doubt about that. But that's a function of history and automobile manufacturing processes and culture. GM did all these bad things to itself as did Ford and Chryco while the Japanese were busy working to school Detroit on how to make good cars. But today's reality is much different because GM is the company that went into bankruptcy and emerged as a new corp. Toyota never had to do that.

GM makes its domestic money on pickup trucks and BoF SUVs in terms of profit margins, and on domestic car based crossovers. GM on those, does it on volume and MSRP games.

But given, it's a global corporation, Buick is the big brand in China and that's where the Envision has sold really well since 2014. Bringing it here is simply a function of filling a slot and getting some extra awareness of a midsize CUV in the Buick brand.

If you look at Envision numbers in China, they are huge. So as Bitkahuna pointed out, this is about China not the US.
Old 02-24-18, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

But given, it's a global corporation, Buick is the big brand in China and that's where the Envision has sold really well since 2014. Bringing it here is simply a function of filling a slot and getting some extra awareness of a midsize CUV in the Buick brand.
The Envision was also brought over from China for the obvious reason....it could be built there at lower cost than at a North American plant. And, from what I've seen at least, just as well.

All that, of course, could change if Trump gets the 35% tariff he wants on American-badged vehicles sold here that are built overseas. He campaigned on that in 2016, but has not really said much about it since.
Old 02-24-18, 05:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Last year Buick sold 41,040 Envisions in the U.S. (3420 per month), probably more in China. In January they sold 2,487. Whether that's good or bad can be debated but that is sizeable U.S. volume for a division like Buick
Old 02-24-18, 05:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Last year Buick sold 41,040 Envisions in the U.S. (3420 per month), probably more in China. In January they sold 2,487. Whether that's good or bad can be debated but that is sizeable U.S. volume for a division like Buick
Its a good number. But did they have a sizeable 25% type discount? If they did, is that good for a brand like Buick?
Old 02-24-18, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Encore is still their bread-and-butter, hands, down....it now accounts for one-third of all U.S. market Buick sales. I've never liked the Encore's choppy looks, and consider it underpowered, but I can understand its huge popularity....reasonable price, plush interior, quietness/refinement, AWD versatility, trim size for easy parking/manuverability, and good space efficiency for its size. I'll be surprised if Envision sales, here in the U.S., reach that of the Encore. I'm not saying it won't (or can't) happen....but only that I would be surprised if it does.
Old 02-24-18, 05:37 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

If they did, is that good for a brand like Buick?

Yes, it is. Because apparently buyers of the Envision disagree with your opinion. 25% discount on a semi-premium product? Why would I pay more for something just because I think someone else is selling something in the same category for more money? Am I someone who carelessly tosses my money into the fireplace, or do I look at options and figure out what my threshold point is?

I think the accountants at Buick see the cost of manufacturing and shipping into the US from China, and happily tell dealers that 25% off is not a bad discount. What does the GM factory worker make in Detroit vs China? I'd say you can happily offer steep discounts without harming your "brand".

Whether something is made in China and a moral issue about country of manufacturer is going to lead you into a rabbit hole. Where is your smartphone, tablet or tv made?

Last edited by MattyG; 02-24-18 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 06:00 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

He did say GM interiors. So what she buy instead of a Buick?
To my surprise she decided on the all new 2018 Land Rover Discovery. She liked the available 3rd row seating and higher roofline. I really thought she would’ve gone for the Buick but it’s her money so....
Old 02-24-18, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Propulsion

To my surprise she decided on the all new 2018 Land Rover Discovery. She liked the available 3rd row seating and higher roofline. I really thought she would’ve gone for the Buick but it’s her money so....
That is interesting. I love the new Discovery. Everything about it. Just such a nice design. Buick does not have anything that stacks up to a Disco. Well done to your aunt👍
Old 02-24-18, 07:20 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

That may not be enough Envisions sold to justify setting up an assembly line to build them here in North America; it must still be cheaper to build them in China and import to North America.

Each assembly line requires a minimum number of vehicles to justify the cost; building a line and running below minimum capacity costs more money than the vehicles sold would bring in -- in other words, it would be a negative return on investment. GM, as a business, has figured out that they can make money by selling Buick Envisions built and imported from China but could not make money building them here.
Old 02-24-18, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Its a good number. But did they have a sizeable 25% type discount? If they did, is that good for a brand like Buick?
Respectfully, your '25% discount' put down mantra is getting old, because it's meaningless. Ever been into a clothing store and seen a garment with 'original price' of say $99.99 on 'sale' for $49.99 (ooh wow 50% off) and 'just this weekend, take an extra 20% off the sale price!' Or $39.99... sounds like a great deal, until you find out that it costs $5 to make the garment. This game has been played forever and shock, gm plays it too. They know customers like a 'deal' and so have artificially high msrps.

also, your loathing of cars made in china is just flat racist in the end. Why is it ok to you for a car to be made in japan but not china?

Old 02-24-18, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
also, your loathing of cars made in china is just flat racist in the end. Why is it ok to you for a car to be made in japan but not china?
Although it was originally Jill's statement and not mine, I'm not sure I follow you here. How is it "racist" to favor a car made in one Far-East Asian country over another...or, for that matter, even in South Korea? Seems to me like that is more of an issue of nationality than race.
Old 02-24-18, 08:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

My loathing of GM cars and Volvo cars that are made in China and exported to the US is not at all racist. When you buy a Japanese car that comes from Japan, that is acceptable to me. When you buy and American car made in China that is not acceptable. If Toyota was to build its Sequoia in China. If Lexus was to build their Japan made Lexus models in China,
I would be all over it. If a Chinese brand wants to export a Chinese made car to the US, that is fine. If that same Chinese brand wants to instead build the car in the US or Canada, then that is even more fine.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-24-18 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Buick Envision