Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

sorry if you find it not fair, but by your logic, someone in the u.s. should loathe buying a 'japanese' rx made in canada. fortunately for canada and lexus, they don't.

anyway, back to the envision. Seems to me this refresh isn't very significant.

Old 02-24-18, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
anyway, back to the envision. Seems to me this refresh isn't very significant.
Have you driven an Envision, bit?
Old 02-24-18, 08:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

someone in the u.s. should loathe buying a 'japanese' rx made in canada. fortunately for canada and lexus, they don't.
Yea, kinda agree.

Anyways, back to the Envision.
Old 02-24-18, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you driven an Envision, bit?
no, no interest. reminds of acura's current aged rdx somewhat. Not a bad vehicle to emulate for sure.
Old 02-24-18, 10:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

ah the usual nay saying. another way to look at it... the envision was launched IN CHINA in 2014. it only came to the u.s. as an add on model to the buick line here later one, and it's done well! now the refresh is around to help in the chinese and other markets.
no idea how plummeting resale on old model increases incentives on new models.

gm is quite 'properly run', attending to its leadership market position of Buick in CHINA, and taking advantage of opportunities elsewhere. seems pretty smart to me.

and it's easier to be a critic than an author. NO company has a wholly consistent strategy and a car company with multiple markets, regulations, supply chain constrains, competing feature needs, labor challenges, and on and on, in the end, does the best it can with the challenges and opportunities. gm is doing great. for example, they couldn't foresee that the delays in the tesla 3 would have some who are waiting for tesla 3s give up and jump the chevy bolt. a nice pick up.
You'll have to get used to my nay-saying. I am and have been a critic of the industry for over 30 years, and I call it as I see it. I don't ride your comments, so please don't ride mine. It's taking the fun out of this forum.

First off, it doesn't matter when the Envision was launched in China. This is America. And the topic is the Envision from GM of America. What matters with this vehicle is when GM launched it here. My point was they rebooted it far too soon because they launched it far too late. A rare, but dangerous marketing mishap. As I said in my comment, this imbalance deteriorates resale value, which has a chain-reaction effect on new car sales. If GM was run so well, it would have timed the US release better to avoid the calamity. You can try hard to be a good company, but you can fail at your marketing decisions.

Second, GM is NOT properly run and hasn't been for decades. We have seen this a million times in numerous threads and publications. To the point they nearly went bankrupt not too long ago. So I don't think there is any strength in such a comment they are run well. Trying hard and being run well are two different things. They are a suspect company, partly run by old-school, out of touch executives that have very few standout products. Looking at the long list of damaging rebates on the current line-up is a clear lesson.
Old 02-25-18, 06:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You'll have to get used to my nay-saying. I am and have been a critic of the industry for over 30 years, and I call it as I see it. I don't ride your comments, so please don't ride mine. It's taking the fun out of this forum.

First off, it doesn't matter when the Envision was launched in China. This is America. And the topic is the Envision from GM of America. What matters with this vehicle is when GM launched it here. My point was they rebooted it far too soon because they launched it far too late. A rare, but dangerous marketing mishap. As I said in my comment, this imbalance deteriorates resale value, which has a chain-reaction effect on new car sales. If GM was run so well, it would have timed the US release better to avoid the calamity. You can try hard to be a good company, but you can fail at your marketing decisions.
Will the same conclusion be drawn for Lexus for launching the RX L now when a mid-cycle refresh is due next year?

For me, as a consumer, GM's (or Lexus') decision on the timing of their products in N. AM doesn't bother me. I care more about product execution and that's where the Envision doesn't impress on the interior when I saw it up close, which is a major part of a car purchase to me. Though perhaps to your point, they have internal issues which somehow can be tied to their so-so interiors.
Old 02-25-18, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Second, GM is NOT properly run and hasn't been for decades. We have seen this a million times in numerous threads and publications. To the point they nearly went bankrupt not too long ago. So I don't think there is any strength in such a comment they are run well. Trying hard and being run well are two different things. They are a suspect company, partly run by old-school, out of touch executives that have very few standout products. Looking at the long list of damaging rebates on the current line-up is a clear lesson.
General Motors is indeed a mess. Two years ago GM was its lowest market share in many decades. Rebates are nothing new for GM, they have been living off of them for a long time. I don't they are the highest levels they have ever been at, but they are close. I do not understand why people do not see that rebates are BAD for a brand?
Old 02-25-18, 06:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

First off, it doesn't matter when the Envision was launched in China. This is America. And the topic is the Envision from GM of America.
No it isn't it's the 2019 envision.

What matters with this vehicle is when GM launched it here. My point was they rebooted it far too soon because they launched it far too late. A rare, but dangerous marketing mishap.
Your opinion, and yeah it's really dangerous selling tens of thousands of cars after launch, lol. as for marketing, gm isn't porsche or ferrari, they'll survive introducing a refresh not long after initial launch in order to keep momentum going in the market they lead in -china. Remember the 2006 gs300? Yeah that lasted one year before moving from the 3.0 to the 3.5.

If GM was run so well, it would have timed the US release better to avoid the calamity.
So they could have not launched when they did and wait for the '19 model and lose all those sales they've made which would have been stupid. And maybe they couldn't launch sooner in the u.s. than they did because it takes time to certify and change a car made for china to comply in the u.s.

Second, GM is NOT properly run and hasn't been for decades.
so easy to be a critic and gm is NOT the same company it was 'decades' ago. Has it made major mistakes and had major problems in the past? Sure. But name an auto maker that hasn't!

Right now gm is on a roll with trucks, electrics, suvs, performance coupes and sedans. Sure cadillac could be doing better but we all know sedans are in a bad place right now and their xt5 at least is selling well and they do great with the escalade, so not all bad.

but you're certainly entitled to your opinion that they're badly run today and i'm entitled to think you're dead wrong.
Old 02-25-18, 06:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I do not understand why people do not see that rebates are BAD for a brand?
Dell computer has coupons and rebates announced every day. Do they have apple's 'status' as a brand? No, but is dell doing well? Hell yes. Not every brand is about high margin high profile sales and marketing.