Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who paid this guy to write this article?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18 | 07:51 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Default Who paid this guy to write this article?

You probably shouldn't buy the 2017 Lexus RX 350 F Sport

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/proba...181900052.html

• The 2017 Lexus RX 350 is quiet, comfortable and composed.
  • Interior quality is truly world class, with excellent design and class-leading materials at a reasonable price.
  • Still, we can't fully recommend it because of quality issues experienced during our testing.
I don’t follow RX threads, are they that bad ?
Old 02-24-18 | 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The RX decided, on the first day of its stay with me, that it was no longer interested in the business of unlocking its front door. I assumed that the door was frozen because it had dropped below 0 degrees that night. But despite the frigid weather , it seemed to be only affecting the driver's door and didn't cure when the car was warmed up.

The next day I climbed over the passenger seat to drive the car in for service, where Lexus fixed it overnight. This would have costed $604 with labor, had the vehicle been out of warranty.

Two days later, the same door lock had broken again. Obviously, there was an unknown or improperly addressed root issue causing these concerns. A car this expensive and less than a year old shouldn't break. The fact that it broke twice shows there was a worse, unaddressed issue causing problems.
Not sure why he had to climb over the right-front passenger seat to get in when the drivers' door wouldn't unlock. Many new vehicles have an emergency key built into the fob that can be used to manually unlock the door (sometimes after prying off a plastic cap on the handle) if and when the electrics don't work. If Lexus did not provide an emergency back-up like that, then IMO that's just El Cheapo cost-sitting.
Old 02-24-18 | 08:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If a vehicle breaks in testing and cannot lock their doors. Hard to recommend.

Would anyone honestly buy a new Lexus RX if the Lexus RX their were test driving broke down on the highway?
Old 02-24-18 | 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I don’t follow RX threads, are they that bad ?
This sample of 1 had a door lock issue, so they couldn't recommend it, but that doesn't mean the were paid to write a negative article, but the author was probably paid since it's likely their job to write.

but besides the lock issue, the article is pretty balanced.

You probably shouldn't buy the 2017 Lexus RX 350 F Sport

Mack Hogan
CNBCFebruary 24, 2018
  • The 2017 Lexus RX 350 is quiet, comfortable and composed.
  • Interior quality is truly world class, with excellent design and class-leading materials at a reasonable price.
  • Still, we can't fully recommend it because of quality issues experienced during our testing.
Year after year, the best-selling luxury vehicle in America isn't a BMW 3 Series or a C-Class. It's the Lexus RX line, so we borrowed one for a week to find out what keeps these rigs flying off of lots.

It impressed us with it's quiet ride, superb interior and value proposition. We were going to recommend it, but during our testing it broke. Twice.

Here's what went down.

The Good

If the goal was to find out why crossovers sell themselves, I considered that accomplished within about five minutes of the RX 350's arrival at my house. The Lexus makes a fantastic first impression.

The death-robot styling language Lexus introduced years ago has finally hit its stride with the newest generation of vehicles. It's working wonders on the RX, where the sharply-creased, angular lines make the car appear less tall and more compact than it actually is.

Step inside, though, and it's anything but small. The RX feels positively gargantuan with room for four adults and their luggage. Five can come aboard for short journeys, but it won't be an overly-pleasant experience.

Brushed aluminum flows around the edge of the center control stack and angles it towards the driver, as wood or whatever trim you selected rises to meet the metal at its base. An angled, massive infotainment screen rises out of the dash alone but looks like a continuation of the control stack below. Everywhere you look, leather, metal and wood are interacting in unique and compelling ways. It's cohesive, it's high-quality and it's brilliant.

Though this model rung in at a steep total of $58,760, there isn't one aspect of this car that doesn't feel expensive and brilliantly made.

The aura of luxuriousness doesn't fade when the RX fires into life, as the 3.5-liter V6 is barely audible. It has a 295 horsepower engine which doesn't provide enough power to get excited about, though you'll be able to merge onto highways comfortably.

The Bad

I've never had a car actually break in a way that severely hindered usability until this Lexus.

The RX decided, on the first day of its stay with me, that it was no longer interested in the business of unlocking its front door. I assumed that the door was frozen because it had dropped below 0 degrees that night. But despite the frigid weather , it seemed to be only affecting the driver's door and didn't cure when the car was warmed up.

The next day I climbed over the passenger seat to drive the car in for service, where Lexus fixed it overnight. This would have costed $604 with labor, had the vehicle been out of warranty.

Two days later, the same door lock had broken again. Obviously, there was an unknown or improperly addressed root issue causing these concerns. A car this expensive and less than a year old shouldn't break. The fact that it broke twice shows there was a worse, unaddressed issue causing problems.

Other low points include the infotainment system, which uses Lexus' confusing and ineffective Remote Touch interface.

The RX I drove also had some high-efficiency, low-rolling-resistance tires. The result was a massive all-wheel-drive SUV that was being passed on side streets by clapped-out Civics because the rubber on the tires refused to grip. It's also worth noting that the low-grip, fuel-saver tires come on the sport trim, limiting what little handling prowess the big SUV could claim.

I think the F Sport package as a whole is a miss.

Final Thoughts

We were disappointed by the quality lapse so atypical of Lexus, and can't recommended a product that failed in its core mission of dependably moving people around.

That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't get one, but dig around into other customer and expert experiences before pulling the trigger.

Rating:

Exterior: 3.5 stars

Interior: 5 stars

Driving Experience: 4 stars

Value: 4.5 stars

Overall: 4 stars

Price as configured: $58,760,
Old 02-25-18 | 01:56 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

That headline is clickbait, but then, the author of a piece seldom writes the headline; the editor of the publication that the article appears in (in this case, Yahoo (Finance)) sets the headline. That 3-point summary may also be written by the Yahoo editor; or it may have been added by the author, to suit the style that Yahoo expects.

The author is probably a freelance writer, writing and selling his work to a number of different publications. You may find the exact same article in other publications or you may find that they are slightly different, revised by the author to suit the style of the publication.

I would not call the malfunction of the locks as a "breakdown"; it was likely caused by the cold weather and it was only a singular problem that the author saw. I would only call it a breakdown if a very large number of RXs all have the same problem. There seems to be no evidence that the author was locked out of his vehicle.

I don't know if the author's reaction to the problem -- "I've never had a car actually break in a way that severely hindered usability until this Lexus" -- was a result of it being completely unexpected or was the result of an "I told you so" attitude towards the Lexus brand typical among some in the automotive media. That said, we have seen it here in Car Chat quite often, where a single, minor problem seen by a member is hyped as an indication that the sky is falling.
Old 02-25-18 | 07:08 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

If you read the 4RX forum here you would understand why. I have been researching here since the fiancee was considering a new one later this year. Quality issues per owners here on CL are plenty, with many dissatisfied owners.

As a result, we have decided that the NX might be the better choice since the CL members are much more happier with that car.
Old 02-25-18 | 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EXE46
If you read the 4RX forum here you would understand why. I have been researching here since the fiancee was considering a new one later this year. Quality issues per owners here on CL are plenty, with many dissatisfied owners.

As a result, we have decided that the NX might be the better choice since the CL members are much more happier with that car.

I may not be the best source on this, since I have not actually owned either. But I did full-reviews on both the NX and the latest RX, and, on my test-drives, found the RX to be far nicer in its road manners. The NX appeared to be well-built, but I was not at all impressed with its relatively unrefined and noisy ride by Lexus standards.
Old 02-25-18 | 07:20 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

I like the RX much more than the NX, the interior and exterior is much better styled plus the RX has that faithful 3.5 V6. However, the posts on the 4RX section of CL has forced us to consider the NX. I have never seen another new Lexus with so many issues being posted by real owners here on CL. I trust this site above all else on what to expect from a new Lexus.
Old 02-25-18 | 08:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EXE46
It is interesting to read about the RX and the concerns from the owners. I wonder if the Japan made RX models are better than the Canadian made RX, or maybe vice versa?

As for the NX, not at all my cup of tea. I will say it is very well built inside with great materials. Well put together, perhaps even better than the RX. It rides very nice as well.

Here is a except from Car & Driver.

“Despite a chiseled body and mean-mugged glare, the Lexus NX is hardly an athlete. It’s a softly sprung, high-riding SUV in a class of tall wagons, and cargo- and people-hauling capacities benefit accordingly. A 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder is standard, but the NX300h boasts the lineup’s sole hybrid powertrain and gets all-wheel drive, too. The cabin coddles occupants with comfy leather seats and distinctive styling. Unfortunately, a finicky touchpad-operated infotainment system spoils an otherwise ergonomic interior”
Old 02-26-18 | 12:29 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure why he had to climb over the right-front passenger seat to get in when the drivers' door wouldn't unlock. Many new vehicles have an emergency key built into the fob that can be used to manually unlock the door (sometimes after prying off a plastic cap on the handle) if and when the electrics don't work. If Lexus did not provide an emergency back-up like that, then IMO that's just El Cheapo cost-sitting.
Maybe he didn't think about the backup key. I had my 07 battery die a couple of weeks ago and no doors would unlock. I used the back up from my fob.
Last week I had this very issue with my MDX (has not occurred since). All the doors would unlock except the driver door. It never occurred to me to use the back up. I just sat in the front passenger seat, reached over and unlocked the door. I will say that I'm not sure why the reviewer would have to "climb" over, if only the driver door was locked?