Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sub-par pre-owned car prep

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 08:06 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

A CPO is still a used car. Don't think anyone looked it over any more scrutinously than you would as someone signing the papers.

My mom bought an SC430 "CPO" and they did some pretty hack fixes on the car just to get it sold. They repainted both bumpers VERY poorly. It was obvious they shipped it off to the cheapest body shop they could find. Poor paint match, flat spots on the bumper where defects were just sanded down (lol) and DRIPS FOR DAYS on the clear coat. I told them to repaint the bumpers. It came back, with even worse drips. Remember, when you send it back, the shop has to do it again (and for free) so they work with an even worse attitude than the first time. After complaining about the pathetic second attempt, they salesman said "That's it, you take it like this or you leave it." Nice.

The ecru leather was obviously dirty/stained in some places and they just painted over it with leather paint. It flaked immediately.

CPO cars aren't what you think. Just take them for what they are: a quick flip used car with a warranty. Otherwise they are the same as any other used car with a clean title.

Personally, I rather take it as-is, non-CPO and do the proper fixes on my dime, the right way. As for the warranty, Lexus vehicles are the last ones on the road that will need a warranty. It's not a BMW.

OP, it seems to me you're being well taken care of. CPO programs vary greatly from dealer to dealer. Looks like you're doing all right.