Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NY Times Reports More Luxury Buyers Switching to Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 02:07 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Perhaps, your tall colleague should think about getting a large/full size sedan rather than a subcompact/compact sedan, e.g. Corolla. On a side/related note, I don't get it with large/tall people sitting in small/compact cars and complaining about not a lot of space. Duh, small cars are for small people and large cars are for large people. It's not rocket science, Einstein.
Lmao right i went to college with a kid who was like 6'6- 6'8 and he drove a mini cooper and always complained about how he was always uncomfortable and felt squished.
Old 03-04-18, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Perhaps, your tall colleague should think about getting a large/full size sedan rather than a subcompact/compact sedan, e.g. Corolla. On a side/related note, I don't get it with large/tall people sitting in small/compact cars and complaining about not a lot of space. Duh, small cars are for small people and large cars are for large people. It's not rocket science, Einstein.
There's other factors involved than that. He also carries a lot of stuff inside, and needs space.

We'll see, though. He'll probably be in the meant in the next 12 months or so, and i may be shopping with him.
Old 03-04-18, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Lmao right i went to college with a kid who was like 6'6- 6'8 and he drove a mini cooper and always complained about how he was always uncomfortable and felt squished.
Yes, there is some LOL to that, but, among vehicles that size, the Mini also ranks as one of the most space-efficient. The shoe-box styling pays off in interior room.....but, yeah, 6' 6 is pushing it.
Old 03-04-18, 04:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Shhhhhhhhh. Don't tell a soul but the Toyota Corolla and Buick LaCrosse have 99.9% identical front passenger specs. And crazy to think, but the Corolla has more legroom (42.3 vs 42.0 in) than the LaCrosse. Want something even crazier? The rear leg room of the Corolla is larger by 3" than the rear of the LaCrosse. Shoulder room is where the LaCrosse excels.
Old 03-04-18, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Shhhhhhhhh. Don't tell a soul but the Toyota Corolla and Buick LaCrosse have 99.9% identical front passenger specs. And crazy to think, but the Corolla has more legroom (42.3 vs 42.0 in) than the LaCrosse. Want something even crazier? The rear leg room of the Corolla is larger by 3" than the rear of the LaCrosse. Shoulder room is where the LaCrosse excels.
A little off-topic, but ride comfort is where the Lacrosse excels....with 18-inchers. I'm fully-aware that it is is not the roomiest sedan on the market. Frankly, I don't care....I fit in the front seat with plenty of room to spare, even with my large frame.

Duh, small cars are for small people and large cars are for large people. It's not rocket science, Einstein.
Well, here's a piece from Rocket Science 101: Big tall people sometimes can fit into small cars...I did myself (at 6' 2"), for a number of years....and was never cramped, though I'm (admittedly) a few inches shorter than Larry, my colleague. What I did get tired of, in small cars, was the relative lack of ride comfort compared to more softly-sprung larger cars, though the Verano I owned wasn't bad at all by small car standards.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-04-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
lacrosse being 4" wider will feel less cramped. and corolla has shorter front end rear ends (and a bit smaller trunk) so passenger box is similar length, but definitely impressive rear seat room in the corolla!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-05-18 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 11:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know why people buy trucks, owning something that big, that powerful, that sits up higher than everybody, it makes you feel like you own the road. Also there is something to be said about the practical aspects, a crew cab 1/2 ton truck is way roomier than even a large sedan, the big bed hauls dirty *** crap, put a tonnoue cover on it and its a huge *** trunk bigger than your 1970 Coupe Deville's trunk, you can tow stuff, need to take a shortcut over a curb or through a ditch or whatever, no problem.

One thing I like about my pickup vs my low riding SC300 with 18" wheels, is the crappy *** roads this time of year with potholes, you just run over them in the truck, instead of being in a constant state of cool panic trying to dodge them in the car. Haven't driven the SC300 in 3 weeks because of that reason.
Old 03-06-18, 06:21 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I love both, I have a Tundra 5.7l SR5 4wd and a GS350 AWD. Best of both worlds.
Old 03-06-18, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I know why people buy trucks, owning something that big, that powerful, that sits up higher than everybody, it makes you feel like you own the road.
I never have understood that mind-set, for two reasons. Number One, the idea that one owns the road is complete B.S....no matter what you drive, you obey the same rules and follow the same laws as everyone else, or get a ticket. Number Two, when everybody else around you is also driving trucks and SUVs (as is becoming the case today) and sitting at the same height as you, what difference does it make?
Old 03-06-18, 09:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
It is funny watching some episodes of "Wheeler Dealers" because the mechanic Ed China is very tall, around 6, 7 yet can barely fit in many of the cars he works in. He had to take the front seat out of one car to test/work on it and basically sit in the back while driving.
Old 03-09-18, 12:26 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It is funny watching some episodes of "Wheeler Dealers" because the mechanic Ed China is very tall, around 6, 7 yet can barely fit in many of the cars he works in. He had to take the front seat out of one car to test/work on it and basically sit in the back while driving.
I think Ed China is taller than that, but yeah watching him try and fit into some cars like the 1960's Mini and the Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, quite hilarious.
Old 03-09-18, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think Ed China is taller than that, but yeah watching him try and fit into some cars like the 1960's Mini and the Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, quite hilarious.
Couldn't possibly have been as funny as me getting in and out of a Lotus Elise (and driving it)....I could have written a book about that. Unfortunately, that was over ten years ago, and there aren't any videos or pictures of it.