Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 11:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow, I like the looks of it, inside and out. Much better than the E pace, F pace and any other pace picante sauce
Old 03-03-18, 11:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
remember, this is an indian company behind this. and volvo, making huge strides, has a giant well funded chinese company behind it, which just happened to have bought a huge chunk in daimler.
not long now... the rest of the world's auto makers won't know what hit them until it's way too late, or they've been assimilated, of they simply move more r&d and production over there.
Both Tata and Geely did a very smart thing and just invested money into JLR and Volvo, and left managment, R&D to smart people in their perspective companies.

Tata and Geely on their own are not competitive at all. Tata isnt even trying to share, their own brand is faltering and doing nothing even in their home market where they are being defeated by the Japanese (Suzuki) while Geely is designing their own models now around Volvo R&D not other way around.

So this idea how someone is going to move something somewhere is not going to happen.

As to the Chinese funding, it is not that simple... a lot of those holding companies are failing these days because they used bank loans to fund their purchases, which they cant pay back now... and Chinese state is now cracking down on them since they are weakening whole banking system over there. It is not just Faraday future and Ecotv brand, a lot of failures in past year.
Old 03-03-18, 11:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

^^^ interesting, so do you think geely will go bankrupt?
Old 03-03-18, 11:52 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

remember, this is an indian company behind this. and volvo, making huge strides, has a giant well funded chinese company behind it, which just happened to have bought a huge chunk in daimler.
not long now... the rest of the world's auto makers won't know what hit them until it's way too late, or they've been assimilated, or they simply move more r&d and production over there.
Volvo and Jaguar are very smart to be moving towards electrification. They are niche players among gasoline competitors but electrification is the future, and the reshuffling of the establishment could be in their favor 10 years from now.
Old 03-03-18, 05:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

^^^ interesting, so do you think geely will go bankrupt?
hah, no... i was referring to the idea that everyone will be bought off, they wont. And certainly they wont move R&D out, they just dont have it. Most of Chinese manufacturer's R&D is buying off Japanese, Korean and European engineers. Europeans also sell a lot of manufacturing equipment there.

There is a good reason their industry is not being able to sell those cars outside the China successfully... Cost of labour is only 8% of the car production cost, which is also only a part of overall car cost.

I dont see a problem with them buying shares in any car manufacturers, makes more sense than some arab sheik doing it.
Old 03-05-18, 05:58 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
It still doesn't make sense to me though. Perfect scenario, if I have my left hand on the wheel, I'll either have to cross my hands to reach the left side, swap hands that is holding the wheel, or stretch across for the ****.
Trivial, I know but I'm all about ergonomics lol.

That's the thought I had, but it looks so unfinished to me. Like a gaping hole in the dash.
I don't remember the last time I adjusted the volume with the dash ****. That's more for the passenger. The goal is to reduce the instances of taking your hands off the wheels to do non-operating tasks, no matter what hands are on the wheel, the side of the wheel with the appropriate controls will need the corresponding hand. What instance do you have to cross hands on the wheel to use the buttons on that side?! Don't you just use the correct hand? That being said, volume should always be on the right in right side driving countries. All the buttons are on the right and the right hand is generally the one moving around more doing other tasks. The left hand should generally be on the wheels, and the cruise controls should be on the left to adjust speed etc with cruise on. My wife's Subaru is the reverse of this and it makes ZERO sense. Both my BMWs do it the right way.
Old 03-07-18, 07:31 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Pricing announced, It starts at $70,495 with the first edition at $86895.
https://blog.caranddriver.com/2019-j...ws&date=030718
Old 03-07-18, 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

So about $10K less than the Model X? And a lot of heritage behind the badge. Nicely done Jaguar
Old 03-07-18, 01:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

Smaller than the Model X isn't it?
Old 03-07-18, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Smaller than the Model X isn't it?
It is about the size of F-Pace but with much larger interior. Also materials, craftsmanship and general luxury feel are way above Tesla.
Old 03-08-18, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689

Old 03-12-18, 04:00 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,166 Likes on 861 Posts

Its a good look and follows the design cues of the latest Jag SUVs. What I like most is seeing that other companies are quickly coming to market with these vehicles. Although Jaguar doesn't have anything close to Tesla's supercharger network, the fact that such cars exist outside of the Tesla brand pushes the envelope for building out the charging infrastructure.

This is the type of SUV that is perfect for someone who lives in an urban area who has the ability to charge it at home and doesn't really use the car for daily drives that are no more than 50-100 miles a day. Come home, charge it overnight and be on your way again. Competition is good because it will drive prices down, competitors have to differentiate and offer more year after year. This give us consumers more options which always a plus!

I actually like the styling of the Jaguar I Pace better than the Model X...the Jag also will likely have the 5yr/60k factory warranty which is standard on all Jags (Tesla's is 4yr/50k) but Tesla does have the 8yr unlimited powertrain warranty so we'll have to see how Jaguar competes there.
Old 03-13-18, 10:52 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

So the car can do aggressive regen braking, allowing for one-pedal driving.

I think this is similar to the Teslas, yes? Are the brakelights smart enough to turn on when decelerating, even if the brake pedal is not touched? Isn't that the point of brake lights, to inform the driver behind you that you are aggressively slowing down?
Old 03-14-18, 10:42 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by riredale
So the car can do aggressive regen braking, allowing for one-pedal driving.

I think this is similar to the Teslas, yes? Are the brakelights smart enough to turn on when decelerating, even if the brake pedal is not touched? Isn't that the point of brake lights, to inform the driver behind you that you are aggressively slowing down?
Yeah I've seen a menu on my friends Model S 75D, where you can adjust the regen braking.
Old 04-05-18, 10:07 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Drive Review

While the rest of the automotive press was gallivanting about Manhattan prior to the New York Auto Show, a select few were bused out to Jaguar-Land Rover's new corporate headquarters in Mahwah, N.J. It was there we saw the world debut of the new F-Pace SVR, the North American debut of the Range Rover SV Coupe, and got our first real taste of the I-Pace.

The chief impression is that it feels much smaller than its exterior dimensions would indicate, maneuvering quickly and effortlessly without a hint of roll. Credit the wheels pushed out to the absolute corners and a low center of gravity, both the result of Jaguar's decision to fully embrace the packaging and engineering possibilities of an electric powertrain. The steering was perhaps not as feelsome as other Jaguars, but again, who really knows? Two minutes, parking lot, etc.

In terms of power, it sure is an electric car. Smooth, quick and quiet, but with so little space to work with, there would've been little noticeable difference between the 394-horsepower I-Pace and the 147-hp Nissan Leafcurrently sitting in my driveway. Its estimated range of 240 miles on the EPA cycle? Uh, it was good enough for an afternoon of journalists driving in circles.

What I can definitively declare, however, is that the 2019 I-Pace boasts far superior interior quality than every Tesla I've driven. It's also, just as important, a considerable leap forward in terms of materials quality and design from the rather dull and disappointing current Jaguar litter of F-Pace, XF and XE. For instance, leather or leatherette always cover the dash (versus the rubbery stuff found in lower F-Pace, XF and XE trim levels), while there was clearly an effort made to visually spruce things up. The dual-screen center console controls first seen on the Range Rover Velar also appear for the first time in a Jaguar, as does a unique push-button shifter.

When I pressed designer Wayne Burgess to describe the interior's aesthetic change and asked whether it was a sign of things to come, he ignored the query and adeptly pivoted to talking about the cabin's inherent space efficiency advantages.

Very well, at least it's a point worth making. Here the switch to an electric-only platform allowed the designers and engineers to adopt a cab-forward design inspired by mid-engine supercars like Jag's C-X75 concept, and definitely not the Dodge Intrepid. Doing so freed up a ton of interior space, for although its exterior length is on par with a Porsche Macan, Jaguar says its interior volume is similar to that of a long-wheelbase Jaguar XJ. Rear seat legroom on paper is on par with both the Tesla Model 3 and Model S.

In practice, the back seat has more than enough headroom despite the panoramic glass roof, but the seat itself is mounted a wee bit low for ideal comfort. It's better than the rock-bottom BMW X4's, but is comparable to other SUV/coupe creations. Up front, the seats demonstrate ample adjustability range, and although they're mounted a bit higher than a typical car's, and definitely a typical Jaguar's, the driving position is not what one would call "commanding."

The cargo area is basically a really big trunk (25.3 cubic feet) as that sloped rear deck doesn't do much for versatility. It's at least a hatchback, though, which gives it an advantage over the Tesla Model 3's traditional sedan trunk. The frunk offers a token 0.95 cubic feet that's probably big enough to store a large house cat (not attempted, not recommended). Inside, the center console adopts more storage than other Jags since there isn't a driveshaft gobbling up room. This includes a main bin that offers 10 liters of space, which both Burgess and chief Jaguar designer Ian Callum separately confirmed is big "enough to hold two wine bottles." At least we know there's a design studio bar.

So full driving impressions will have to wait for an actual first drive of the 2019 I-Pace, but I can at least say that this is a car worth getting excited for. In fact, Callum says it's the most exciting project he's ever been a part of, which is certainly impressive should you peruse his résumé. And really, if this thing had a spikey T logo on its trunk rather than a leaping cat, I'd wager the Internet would melt, women would faint in the streets and waiting lists would stretch to Mars.

As it is, you can order an I-Pace right now with a starting price of $69,500 for the full 90kWh battery, 240-mile range and 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds. Deliveries begin in the second half of this year.
Source

Quick Reply: Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV