Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata gets 181 hp (updated post #16)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2019 Mazda Miata officially announced with 181 horsepower

The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata will indeed get a slight performance increase. This fall, the car's naturally aspirated 2.0-liter inline-four will make 181 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque. That's a 26 horsepower and 3 pound-feet bump over the 2018 model. It may not sound like a lot on paper, but consider the fact that it's a nearly 17 percent increase in power in a car that weighs just 2,332 lbs.

When the current ND generation debuted a few years back, the Miata actually took a slight hit to power. It was offset by a sizable weight loss program, but it didn't stop people from making a fuss. These days, it's not often that a newer model actually loses power compared to the outgoing car. The new car now makes roughly the same power as the old turbocharged Mazdaspeed MX-5 from 2004.

Peak power for the 2019 model comes at 7,000 rpm while peak torque arrives at 4,000 rpm. That's 1,000 more and 600 fewer revs respectively. The Miata's redline is now 7,500 rpm, up from 6,800. It should make the car feel more lively through the rev range and should drop the car's 0-60 mph time back under 7 seconds. The 2019 model only weighs 7-pounds more than the outgoing model, so it's essentially a non-issue.

In order to get the extra juice, Mazda engineers did some significant work to the engine's internals. Piston mass has been reduced 27 grams while the connecting rods are down 41 grams. The exhaust system and inner exhaust manifold have been modified to reduce pumping losses by 30 percent. The intake and fuel injectors have been changed, too. A new dual-mass flywheel replaces the single-mass unit. This should help better manage engine vibrations and responsiveness. Lastly, the final drive ratio has been increased from 3.454 to 3.583. Other gear ratios remain unchanged.

There are other minor but welcome changes for 2019. The steering wheel now telescopes, a boon for drivers with long legs. The doors are easier to open and feature revised door stops. The cupholders and seat levers have both been updated. Finally, there are new 17-inch wheels and a new brown canvas soft top.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/20/...ease-official/
Old 06-20-18, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The steering wheel now telescopes, a boon for drivers with long legs.
Yep...something long-needed. I'm 6' 2", and with my long, big heavy legs, with every Miata I've ever sampled, once I've gotten the hard-to-adjust seat into a reasonably comfortable position (which is difficult because, due the top-down compartment right behind the seat, the seat back can't recline without the lower-front cushion scooting forward) I've had to drive with my legs pretty much splayed around the steering wheel so my left foot could reach the clutch LOL. Newer Miatas, in general, aren't quite as tight inside as the original one, which was like a sardine can.
Old 06-20-18, 07:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I doubt telescoping will help tall drivers much but will help short ones a bunch
Old 06-23-18, 12:51 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

What? Now they put in more horsepower for Miata's! Darn, sold my Miata a months back because I wanted a few more horses in it! Bought a RCF to replace it.
Good think about the RCF is that I don't feel like a sardine in a can, quieter, and a lot better quality interior.
Old 06-23-18, 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bob67
What? Now they put in more horsepower for Miata's! Darn, sold my Miata a months back because I wanted a few more horses in it! Bought a RCF to replace it.
Good think about the RCF is that I don't feel like a sardine in a can, quieter, and a lot better quality interior.
congrats on the rcf. Obviously at more than twice the price it should be better in ever way unless a super light and super balanced sports car is one's desire (obviously not rcf qualities).
Old 06-24-18, 01:44 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

congrats on the rcf. Obviously at more than twice the price it should be better in ever way unless a super light and super balanced sports car is one's desire (obviously not rcf qualities).
Cost was not a factor with the Miata. Wanted a sports car that drove like one without exceeding speed limits. Driving that slow car, fast, was fun. Much better than my SLK AMG Mercedes I had before it that did not feel right until going about 90mph or so For lightweight fun driving, I still have my FJR Yamaha motorcycle as a backup to the RCF!
Old 06-25-18, 06:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bob67
Cost was not a factor with the Miata. Wanted a sports car that drove like one without exceeding speed limits. Driving that slow car, fast, was fun. Much better than my SLK AMG Mercedes I had before it that did not feel right until going about 90mph or so For lightweight fun driving, I still have my FJR Yamaha motorcycle as a backup to the RCF!
totally understand the joy of a miata having owned one.
Old 06-25-18, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
totally understand the joy of a miata having owned one.

I can, too, to some extent....even without ever owning one. Though I usually like bigger cars and cush-tush ride/handling comfort, I have to admit that every time I've driven a Miata, it's been a fun experience, even with the tight, cramped space inside and rough, noisy ride. It is one of the most pure, agile, follow-the-road, driver's machines ever developed. The Lotus Elise (which I've driven) was perhaps even more so, but so small that it is exceedingly difficult even for normal-size American adults to ingress/egress. You should have seen me (6' 2" and 270 lbs.) getting in and out of one (truly funny indeed) .....but that's the subject for another thread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-26-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-25-18, 11:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can, too, to some extent....even without ever owning one. Though I usually like bigger cars and cush-tush ride/handling comfort, I have to admit that every time I've driven a Miata, it's been a fun experience, even with the tight, cramped space inside and rough, noisy ride. It is one of the most pure, agile, follow-the-road, driver's machines eve redeveloped. The Lotus Elise (which I've driven) was perhaps even more so, but so small that it is exceedingly difficult even for normal-size American adults to ingress/egress. You should have seen me (6' 2" and 270 lbs.) getting in and out of one (truly funny indeed) .....but that's the subject for another thread.

I love how low the limits are on older Miatas. They fit them with smaller 14", 15" or 16"(in the high spec models) wheels. There just isn't a ton of grip with the modest tire sizes they come with stock. Yet the suspension and brakes are so damn good you do feel confident pushing that car on a public road, even if the ultimate grip and speed is rather low.