Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 GMC Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 06:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Watching Doug DeMuro tonight, I think the GMC is a better truck than the Ram. Interior materials are not the best, but the overall truck is.
Why? Need bullet points please
Old 09-27-18, 06:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Why? Need bullet points
Just because of features, form and fuction. Seems like this is the most truck like with so many features yet still a truck at heart
Old 09-27-18, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Watching Doug DeMuro tonight, I think the GMC is a better truck than the Ram.
Have you actually driven either one?
Old 09-28-18, 11:39 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I can't help but laugh at that.

Ram has the 1/2 ton truck segment in the bag, both with tech/features, and with initial build quality. There isn't a better looking, riding, feeling or sounding interior in a half-ton on the market.

Reliability over the long-term remains to be seen, but I don't imagine this gen will be any worse than the last, which weren't bad. I would know, I have had 5 of them personally.
Old 09-28-18, 12:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Eh, it depends on what you're looking for in a half-ton truck honestly. All of the trucks have different strengths and weaknesses.

the Ram wins on ride comfort and interior tech right now. But they lose on payload for the same reason they win on comfort. While i think the interior is probably comfortable and well appointed, I can't say I'm in love with the appearance. Not that it's ugly or anything...it's just kind of meh to me. I honestly like the F-150 dash layout a lot better. Mine's a pretty simple XLT without a lot of features, but it has everything I want, including an 8" touch screen, backup camera, in-dash trip computer with plenty of info for me, enough power points and USB ports(that I rarely ever use anyway except to load new wallpapers onto my screen), and storage.

I will say that I find the RAM interior to look a lot better than the GM interior as far as aesthetics go. GM hasn't had a good looking truck interior since 2006. I really liked that dash layout, but of course the cab was a lot smaller than the Ford at the time. I think the RAM 1500 is targetted more at people who want a luxurious hot rod(which there is absolutely nothing wrong with...I love driving my parents' 300C).
Old 09-28-18, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I can't help but laugh at that.

Ram has the 1/2 ton truck segment in the bag, both with tech/features, and with initial build quality. There isn't a better looking, riding, feeling or sounding interior in a half-ton on the market.

Reliability over the long-term remains to be seen, but I don't imagine this gen will be any worse than the last, which weren't bad. I would know, I have had 5 of them personally.
For ride and tech I'd agree. But they're annually third behind Ford and GM in total truck sales, so I don't think they've 'bagged' the segment just quite.

Still waiting to see which of the big three will get their turbo diesel to 1,000ft-lb first

Ram 3500 6.7L I6 385hp 930ft-lb
Silverado 3500HD 6.6L V8 445hp 910ft-lb
F-350 Super Duty 6.7L V8 450hp 935ft-lb
Old 09-28-18, 01:40 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 296 Likes on 228 Posts

Still waiting to see which of the big three will get their turbo diesel to 1,000ft-lb first

Ram 3500 6.7L I6 385hp 930ft-lb
Silverado 3500HD 6.6L V8 445hp 910ft-lb
F-350 Super Duty 6.7L V8 450hp 935ft-lb
Interesting that they're all so close in torque values, and the Ford/GM have basically the same hp, while the Ram is dramatically lower in that category. I realize hp isn't why you buy these trucks, it just strikes me as odd. You would think the power curves would be similar.
Old 09-28-18, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by geko29
Interesting that they're all so close in torque values, and the Ford/GM have basically the same hp, while the Ram is dramatically lower in that category. I realize hp isn't why you buy these trucks, it just strikes me as odd. You would think the power curves would be similar.
The Cummins in the Ram is Inline-6 whereas the Duramax and Power Stroke are V8's, probably where the horsepower discrepancy is. But in HD trucks we all know torque is king. I just want to hear the first commercial where one of them claims 1,000ft-lbs
Old 09-28-18, 03:34 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 296 Likes on 228 Posts

The Cummins in the Ram is Inline-6 whereas the Duramax and Power Stroke are V8's, probably where the horsepower discrepancy is. But in HD trucks we all know torque is king. I just want to hear the first commercial where one of them claims 1,000ft-lbs
That was my first thought too, figuring maybe the V8s just rev higher--larger displacement/cylinder might mean lower peak rpm--but they all seem to top out at around 3800 rpm. Just a curiosity is all though, not something of great import. Definitely agree that it'll be crazy to see a pickup cross the 1/2 ton-ft mark.
Old 09-28-18, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Just drop in a Bugatti engine LOL
Old 09-28-18, 05:35 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
That was my first thought too, figuring maybe the V8s just rev higher--larger displacement/cylinder might mean lower peak rpm--but they all seem to top out at around 3800 rpm. Just a curiosity is all though, not something of great import. Definitely agree that it'll be crazy to see a pickup cross the 1/2 ton-ft mark.

They all rev to 3800, but the HP is a function of torque at a certain RPM, and the nature of the I6 is that it builds it's torque lower in the RPM band and then starts to fall out of it earlier as well. The V8's don't hit it as early, but they have a flatter curve, keeping their power longer through the powerband.

Old 09-29-18, 05:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Just because of features, form and fuction. Seems like this is the most truck like with so many features yet still a truck at heart
no etorque, no 12" screen, no reclining rear seats, no vented rear seats, no vibration cancelling actuators on the frame, undoubtably the best interior by far, but GMC has the best features? Besides the tailgate and rear view camera, the Sierra is more of the same.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-29-18 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-29-18, 08:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
no etorque, no 12" screen, no reclining rear seats, no vented rear seats, no vibration cancelling actuators on the frame, undoubtably the best interior by far, but GMC has the best features? Besides the tailgate and rear view camera, the Sierra is more of the same.
Fair points. However, I was saying from more of a form and function. Ram is like a luxury vehicle. The Sierra is more of a truck.
Old 09-29-18, 09:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Ram Limited and Sierra Denali are both luxury vehicles. If i wanted just a truck every company makes the base bare bones model
Old 09-29-18, 01:16 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

He does make a fair point, Jill. If we're comparing them as luxury vehicles(and the Denali was the proto-Luxury truck), the Ram is definitely the class leader right now hands down. On a forum such as CL, that's a perfectly reasonable angle from which to view this decision anyway.

I personally am fine with more of a work truck-mid range option, so the F-150 suits my comfort needs(and I assume the Silverado/Sierra would as well) while giving me more capability in terms of payload or towing than the RAM offers.

And I just would be hesitant to spend that kind of money on a RAM given Dodge's long-term reliability history. It's possible that they've greatly improved it, but they need a generation or two of reliability under their belt to get that reputation fixed. Even most 4th gen trucks aren't old enough yet to have built a reliable reputation.

Quick Reply: 2019 GMC Sierra