Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 GMC Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 01:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Fair points. However, I was saying from more of a form and function. Ram is like a luxury vehicle. The Sierra is more of a truck.
The Ram 1500, work-wise, is just as much of a truck as the GMC/Chevy 1500 or Ford F-150 series . It simply doesn't ride like one.
Old 09-29-18, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Doesn't matter if it's basic or loaded. If it has a bed, it's a truck
Old 09-29-18, 01:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Ram 1500, work-wise, is just as much of a truck as the GMC/Chevy 1500 or Ford F-150 series . It simply doesn't ride like one.
Eh, the coil springs give it a lower payload capacity than the GM or the Ford.
Old 09-29-18, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
True, but for most everyday jobs, it is adequate (or more than adequate). And, of course, for heavier-duty stuff, that's what the 2500 and 3500 series (three-quarter-ton and one-ton) is for. And, in the Ram, one is not bounced around like....well, a truck.
Old 09-29-18, 02:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but for most everyday jobs, it is adequate (or more than adequate). And, of course, for heavier-duty stuff, that's what the 2500 and 3500 series (three-quarter-ton and one-ton) is for. And, in the Ram, one is not bounced around like....well, a truck.
Maybe it's just the fact that I learned to drive in a 92 F-350 but.....I don't think any trucks these days ride bad at all. I will say though that Ford isn't great at choosing or tuning shocks(except on the Raptor of course) and so it's become a common upgrade in the Ford community to add bilstein 5100's to the truck(which I did shortly after buying mine). Even running around with my tires at 60 PSI, I have no complaints at all.

Before it looks like I'm just here to flame GMC or RAM, I do want to say that they are both great trucks. The Big 3 are really knocking it out of the park(although the styling of the 2019 RAMS and Silverados leave a lot to be desired IMO) and I'd happily drive any of these vehicles.

Old 09-29-18, 07:42 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Not by much (per google):

2019 RAM 1500/Payload
1,528 to 2,302 lbs

2019 Ford F-150, Payload
1,485 to 2,311 lbs

Old 09-29-18, 08:28 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

That's not completely accurate.

Here's a comparison of the max payloads of all 2WD regular cab half tons

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/07/201...hevy-ford-ram/

EDIT: Now, granted those aren't the trucks most people buy anymore, so i'll just compare two of the more common choices.

F-150 crew cab, 6.5' box, 4x4, 5.0 V8....2,710 max payload with the heavy duty payload package.
RAM 1500 crew cab, 6.5' box, 4x4, 5.7 V8....1,830 max payload and 90 lbs less if you get the eTorque(I'm assuming added weight from batteries/motor).

If you switch out the 5.0 for a 3.5 Ecoboost, the payload drops 20 lbs, but the towing jumps up a couple thousand pounds from 11,600 to 13,000...vs 11,320 for the RAM.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 09-29-18 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 12:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

The 5.0 in the F-150 is no slouch though. I love mine. Might slap a tune on it after the warranty is up. The engine holds its own just fine in the Stang vs the much larger engines in the Camaro and Challenger. Stock internals are built to withstand a supercharger. If I were a wealthy man I'd install one.
Oh, I have no doubt the 5.0 hauls some serious a$$. The numbers are impressive for the smaller displacement. (395/400 IIRC?)

My bro-in-law has this ridiculous almost new F-150 (has to be at least a 60k truck), he got the 5.0, and his last one was the EB. I'm looking forward to a ride in it. The truck itself is just sick. I haven't asked him which motor he prefers, yet, but I know he's happy with the V8.

I can't agree on the column shifter though. One of the big reasons I sought out my truck with the bench seat was so that I could have a column shifter. That's just how I prefer my automatics in trucks. It's out of the way, but also isn't a rotary ****(RAM) or push button(a growing number of Ford's other vehicles), neither of which I'm fond of. The only time I enjoy a console/floor mounted shifter is in a car or anything with a manual. Plus, having that seat in the middle is great for when you have company
Agree 10000000% about the column shifter. Just like a V8, a column shifter belongs in a truck. People slam the Escalade/Yukon Denali for the column shifter but I personally love it. Like someone has said before on here, GM has always "gotten that right." My 15 year old Yukon, "throwing it in park" the old school way is still damn satisfying. I'll be disappointed if they change it for the new 2020 GM suvs.

Also, every Ram owner I know says they've confused the rotary shift for a radio **** before while not looking....no thanks. I don't like the console shifter in the F-150 as I believe that takes some of the butchness away, lol. Console shifters are for crossovers.

This is all my opinion, of course, YMMV.

Last edited by AJT123; 10-02-18 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 01:31 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh, I have no doubt the 5.0 hauls some serious a$$. The numbers are impressive for the smaller displacement. (395/400 IIRC?)

My bro-in-law has this ridiculous almost new F-150 (has to be at least a 60k truck), he got the 5.0, and his last one was the EB. I'm looking forward to a ride in it. The truck itself is just sick. I haven't asked him which motor he prefers, yet, but I know he's happy with the V8.
The current 5.0 is indeed 395/400, and I've heard it gets up and gits with the new 10 speed. Mine is the 2015 with just the 385/387 and a 6 speed(bulletproof though), and it still has a ton of pep in its step.

Agree 10000000% about the column shifter. Just like a V8, a column shifter belongs in a truck. People slam the Escalade/Yukon Denali for the column shifter but I personally love it. Like someone has said before on here, GM has always "gotten that right." My 15 year old Yukon, "throwing it in park" the old school way is still damn satisfying. I'll be disappointed if they change it for the new 2020 GM suvs.

Also, every Ram owner I know says they've confused the rotary shift for a radio **** before while not looking....no thanks. I don't like the console shifter in the F-150 as I believe that takes some of the butchness away, lol. Console shifters are for crossovers.

This is all my opinion, of course, YMMV.
I have to believe that RAM would have an electronic nanny that prevents you from throwing it out of gear or into reverse while moving. Maybe Josh could answer that for us.

Honestly I'm not even a fan of using a **** or buttons for the 4x4 selector...I grew up throwing a lever for 4x4. The **** is just too close to the radio for my liking....
Old 10-02-18, 08:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thats the difference between DOHC vs OHV.

levers take up too much room, you wont have all that storage space if there were levers all over the place
Old 10-03-18, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Also, every Ram owner I know says they've confused the rotary shift for a radio **** before while not looking....no thanks.
That is a problem in a number of Chrysler products, not just Rams. I agree that the rotary-shifter is a poor design....although Jaguar actually started using a similar design (sometimes under an automatic fold-down door) before Chrysler.
Old 10-03-18, 06:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sounds like a user issue. At least in the Ram the volume **** is a decent distance away from the rotary shifter. Why even use the volume **** when you have steering wheel controls. Complete user error there
Old 10-03-18, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I have the rotary **** for the shifter on my Pacifica, I've never confused it for the radio ****. In any event, who uses the radio ****? Volume controls are on the steering wheel.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a gearshift...
Old 10-03-18, 08:26 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The current 5.0 is indeed 395/400, and I've heard it gets up and gits with the new 10 speed. Mine is the 2015 with just the 385/387 and a 6 speed(bulletproof though), and it still has a ton of pep in its step.

I have to believe that RAM would have an electronic nanny that prevents you from throwing it out of gear or into reverse while moving. Maybe Josh could answer that for us.

Honestly I'm not even a fan of using a **** or buttons for the 4x4 selector...I grew up throwing a lever for 4x4. The **** is just too close to the radio for my liking....
If you are in drive and moving more than at a crawl, the shifter will not move past neutral. It also has a lot more resistance than the radio ****, so turning it takes more effort. I have never even come close to confusing the two in my Ram. I love having the space freed up in the console where the shifter would be, and its a much cleaner look to the interior not having a column shifter sticking out.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have the rotary **** for the shifter on my Pacifica, I've never confused it for the radio ****. In any event, who uses the radio ****? Volume controls are on the steering wheel.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a gearshift...
I still use the radio ****. rarely do I use the steering wheel controls unless I am on a long trip.
Old 10-03-18, 09:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I still use the radio ****. rarely do I use the steering wheel controls unless I am on a long trip.
I cant remember the last time I touched a radio ****...

Quick Reply: 2019 GMC Sierra