Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 GMC Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
sounds like a user issue. At least in the Ram the volume **** is a decent distance away from the rotary shifter. Why even use the volume **** when you have steering wheel controls. Complete user error there
I disagree that it is just a user-issue. Steering wheel controls for the radio don't cover everything....typically just volume/mute and a basic station switch between the pre-set stations.
Old 10-03-18, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
love having the space freed up in the console where the shifter would be, and its a much cleaner look to the interior not having a column shifter sticking out.
I'll agree to an extent, but, IMO, GMC, on the new Acadia, came up with a better design than a rotary-****......the row of horizontal push/pull buttons down underneath the climate-controls. Lincoln also has what IMO is a sensible design.....only with vertical-buttons.

Old 10-03-18, 07:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Ram has a mute button, there is no need to be cranking a volume **** to mute. The rotary **** is located where a key or push start button would be, why would anyone be reaching there to change the volume. User error.
Old 10-03-18, 08:20 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll agree to an extent, but, IMO, GMC, on the new Acadia, came up with a better design than a rotary-****......the row of horizontal push/pull buttons down underneath the climate-controls.

No, that's absolutely horrid. Great idea to put the manual shift controls on the passenger side of the car, as far away from the driver as possible. In fact, this was ranked the second-worst shifter on the market, behind only the Jeep one that actually killed people:

The Worst Shifter Designs of 2017
GMC Terrain Shifter is Worst in Show at Detroit

It’s called the Electronic Precision Shift, and it moves shifter from a traditional gearshift to a series of buttons spread across the center console. Reverse and Drive buttons appear to have been rescued out of the power window switch parts bin, and the Park button is in a position guaranteed to be pushed at an inopportune moment, such as hurtling down the highway at 65, trying to find the heated seat button. The selectable lower gears (the “L” with the “+” and “-” buttons) look as inconveniently placed as possible. Maybe it’s there to give the passenger something to do.
Even the stupid Pilot/MDX mess of a shifter is better than the travesty that GMC vomited up.

On the other hand, the Lincoln design you also referenced is totally fine. Might not be my absolute first choice, but it's logically laid out, doesn't waste space, and perhaps most importantly, is within easy reach of the driver.

Last edited by geko29; 10-03-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
No, that's absolutely horrid.
I don't agree that it's awful, but I'll respect your opinion on it.

Great idea to put the manual shift controls on the passenger side of the car, as far away from the driver as possible.
Most drivers don't use the manual controls very often. I use them myself only on steeper hills, at lower speeds, to keep the engine from lugging.
Old 10-04-18, 12:32 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

If it's a big GM truck/SUV with a big V8, I want that column shifter. I'm hopeful GM won't bow to the pressure and phase them out with the trucks. There are actually a lot of people who feel the same as I do, actually, hence why they haven't changed it.
Old 10-04-18, 07:33 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Ram has a mute button, there is no need to be cranking a volume **** to mute. The rotary **** is located where a key or push start button would be, why would anyone be reaching there to change the volume. User error.
Actually, there is. If you press the mute button on the Stereo in any FCA product, and then shut off the car, the next time you start the car you will hear the radio again. It resets the mute every time the power is cycled. Conversely, turning the volume all the way to 0 instead, the stereo will remember the setting.

#firstworldproblems
Originally Posted by AJT123
If it's a big GM truck/SUV with a big V8, I want that column shifter. I'm hopeful GM won't bow to the pressure and phase them out with the trucks. There are actually a lot of people who feel the same as I do, actually, hence why they haven't changed it.
The thing is, times change. The column shifter of the 80's and 90's as you know it has already changed. They are now electronically controlled in half-ton trucks. There isn't a physical linkage between the transmission and the shifter like their used to be. Its all shift-by-wire. There are detents in the mechanism that make it "feel" as if you are actually moving a linkage, but you are not.

The above does not apply to heavy duty (3/4 ton and above) trucks. Most, if not all, still use traditional linkages.
Old 10-04-18, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Agreed, push buttons are horrid.

Just a gearshift, all we need is a gearshift.
Old 10-04-18, 12:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Seriously. Outside of a luxury car, a gearshift does just fine. I like the feel of the shifter, even if it's electronic. And it really doesn't get in the way of anything at all when it's on the column.
Old 10-04-18, 01:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
No, that's absolutely horrid. Great idea to put the manual shift controls on the passenger side of the car, as far away from the driver as possible. In fact, this was ranked the second-worst shifter on the market, behind only the Jeep one that actually killed people:

The Worst Shifter Designs of 2017
GMC Terrain Shifter is Worst in Show at Detroit

Even the stupid Pilot/MDX mess of a shifter is better than the travesty that GMC vomited up.

On the other hand, the Lincoln design you also referenced is totally fine. Might not be my absolute first choice, but it's logically laid out, doesn't waste space, and perhaps most importantly, is within easy reach of the driver.
I honestly do not believe that there are worst design of 2017 web pages. It blows my mind that automakers have gone away from something that is so simply to use if they just left it alone. Who would thought that most Toyota and Lexus models are coming. The new ES and Avalon shifters are so easy to use, they now have a button. Luckily Lexus is not putting the shifter behind six menus where you need remote touch to shift from park to drive and vice versa. Glad Toyota and Lexus are staying traditional.
Old 10-04-18, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Agreed, push buttons are horrid.

Just a gearshift, all we need is a gearshift.
Well, you seem to like the rotary-**** in your Pacifica....or, at least, you haven't complained much about it.
Old 10-04-18, 09:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I had a Ford Fusion rental last year that had a rotary shift, but it was on the center console. At first I didn't like it but I got used to it and actually did start to like it. It became intuitive quickly.

Still though, give me a physical gearshift (or a column shifter in a truck).
Old 10-05-18, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Seriously. Outside of a luxury car, a gearshift does just fine. I like the feel of the shifter, even if it's electronic. And it really doesn't get in the way of anything at all when it's on the column.
Correction, even in a luxury car a gearshift works just fine lol

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you seem to like the rotary-**** in your Pacifica....or, at least, you haven't complained much about it.
I do not, I would much rather have a gearshift.
Old 10-06-18, 10:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

We sat in the new interior today. Both the High Country Chevy and the Sierra SLT. Didn’t drive it as we didn’t want to be bothered with salespersons. 100% that the new Dodge Ram has a better and more luxo interior. However, we find there is just something so much more appealing about the Chevy and GMC.
Old 10-07-18, 03:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We sat in the new interior today. Both the High Country Chevy and the Sierra SLT. Didn’t drive it as we didn’t want to be bothered with salespersons. 100% that the new Dodge Ram has a better and more luxo interior. However, we find there is just something so much more appealing about the Chevy and GMC.
Right, Chrysler products suck overall. That said, I'm sure the Ram is the best built and toughest out of the whole line of FCA.