Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota car prices to increase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

So how exactly is US profiting in this case without tariffs when rest of the world places high tariffs on US goods, so essentially there is no exports?
?
You would need to look at it from pros and cons, and what pros outweigh the cons. Not having any tariffs on imported vehicles benefits society as a whole compared to the negative consequences on some domestic workers. Allowing all the imports to enter the US allows consumers more choice and prices fall. When there is competition you also get better efficiency and innovative.

I believed when Toyota was just get started with Lexus, there were import quotas at the time.

Donald Trump is using the idea of these tariffs on steel and imports to appeal to his base. If he can create some steel making jobs at the expense of an aerospace engineer who might lose their job, he wins. The white collar engineer job never voted for him in the first place.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-03-18 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-03-18, 06:35 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You would need to look at it from pros and cons, and what pros outweigh the cons. Not having any tariffs on imported vehicles benefits society as a whole compared to the negative consequences on some domestic workers. Allowing all the imports to enter the US allows consumers more choice and prices fall. When there is competition you also get better efficiency and innovative.

I believed when Toyota was just get started with Lexus, there were import quotas at the time.
And Toyota was accused of dumping not just by the US manufacterers but also accused of subsidizing the LS400 by the Germans. Through a convuluted process over some many years import tariffs were enacted. After that the Japanese companies built plants in the US to make their operations tariff free but also to make the product they were selling closer to their market.
Old 03-04-18, 05:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I am all for free trade, but i'm also for fair trade if it's not free (untaxed/tariffed). Trump's point is the u.s. has been 'played' for decades and has been an idiot sucker at the world economic poker game. So his approach is, ok, we'll do what everyone else does and then see how they like it. I'm not thrilled about tariffs like this, but europe for example, which works so hard to protect its manufacturing and farming jobs (making cars and food more expensive), has done a great job at screwing the rest of the world. Those import tariffs fund just about everything in europe, so it's a big deal.
Old 03-04-18, 07:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
. Trump's point is the u.s. has been 'played' for decades and has been an idiot sucker at the world economic poker game. So his approach is, ok, we'll do what everyone else does and then see how they like it.

It's Donald Trump's fan base that support this idea. Adding tariffs to European made cars is going to raise the price of all cars in the United States. This will end up causing less cars to be sold on the whole, what happens when less cars get sold? Less jobs. What also happens to the consumers who have to pay more for their cars, they will buy less stuff. So other industries suffer. Trump is doing this to appeal to the fan base that voted for him, those people who saw their manufacturing plants close and watched them move overseas or to Mexico. The irony of all of this is that the poor people benefit the most from the free trade as they are the ones who spend of their income on consumable goods, these are base of people that voting for Trump.
Old 03-04-18, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

LexsCTJill, don't disagree with your post, but i think this isn't a one and done move by trump, it's part of a longer game intended to get into a better negotiating position to get 'more equal' trade in time.

the u.s. has been so dumb, fat, and happy AND complacent essentially telling the world 'sure go ahead and walk all over us, see if we care, mwahahaha...' and then worse, some administrations felt we DESERVED to be walked on and made the problem even worse... well guess what, walk, stomp, punch they did. now it's time to do something about it.
Old 03-04-18, 09:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LexsCTJill, don't disagree with your post, but i think this isn't a one and done move by trump, it's part of a longer game intended to get into a better negotiating position to get 'more equal' trade in time.

the u.s. has been so dumb, fat, and happy AND complacent essentially telling the world 'sure go ahead and walk all over us, see if we care, mwahahaha...' and then worse, some administrations felt we DESERVED to be walked on and made the problem even worse... well guess what, walk, stomp, punch they did. now it's time to do something about it.
Ok. So if you are referring to the US trade deficit, it is actually a good thing. It is not a bad thing. Yes, some jobs in manufacturing do leave or are eliminated but the bigger picture is far more important.
Old 03-04-18, 10:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope all car prices increase very substantially. Cars can be had extremely cheap nowadays with ridiculously low lease rates, and everybody that would normally belong on a bus is leasing some cheap crapbucket instead, and that creates a ton of traffic. Everywhere I go, the traffic is worst that its ever been. I would really welcome higher car prices as well as higher road taxes, higher gas prices and eliminating free overnight street parking.
Old 03-04-18, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I hope all car prices increase very substantially. Cars can be had extremely cheap nowadays with ridiculously low lease rates, and everybody that would normally belong on a bus is leasing some cheap crapbucket instead, and that creates a ton of traffic. Everywhere I go, the traffic is worst that its ever been. I would really welcome higher car prices as well as higher road taxes, higher gas prices and eliminating free overnight street parking.
All vehicles will increase of Trump adds tariffs to steel. Jobs will be lost because of it across all sectors. But his base will applaud him even though they don’t realize it will affect them. This is all done for polical reasons.
Old 03-04-18, 10:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All vehicles will increase of Trump adds tariffs to steel. Jobs will be lost because of it across all sectors. But his base will applaud him even though they don’t realize it will affect them. This is all done for polical reasons.
Some jobs will be lost, some will be gained. I am not an economic expert by any means, but even I can see that there is a catastrophic disbalance in the US economy that was caused by loss of manufacturing. I've only been living in the US for 25 years (May 13 this year will be my 25th anniversary of living in USA), but even in this relatively short period I've witnessed the quality of life for most of middle class going down the drain, which is especially true for young people.

I'd much rather see prices of cars, electronic gadgets, and other non essential items increase substantially, but in return to see more affordable housing, healthcare and well paying jobs across the entire US, not just in overpopulated megapolises.
Old 03-04-18, 11:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Some jobs will be lost, some will be gained. I am not an economic expert by any means, but even I can see that there is a catastrophic disbalance in the US economy that was caused by loss of manufacturing. I've only been living in the US for 25 years (May 13 this year will be my 25th anniversary of living in USA), but even in this relatively short period I've witnessed the quality of life for most of middle class going down the drain, which is especially true for young people.

I'd much rather see prices of cars, electronic gadgets, and other non essential items increase substantially, but in return to see more affordable housing, healthcare and well paying jobs across the entire US, not just in overpopulated megapolises.
Manufacturing jobs are actually on the increase. They have increased since the 2009 recession. Agreed that the jobs are not anywhere near the 1970s type levels but output is in fact at 1940s levels. Automation has replaced workers. A tariff on steel or European cars will not reverse this.
Old 03-04-18, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Manufacturing jobs are actually on the increase. They have increased since the 2009 recession.
One must be careful to differentiate between true manufacturing and simply putting a bunch of parts together, at a final-assembly-plant, that are initially produced or manufactured overseas. That's why, by law, you have parts-content stickers on new vehicles.

A good example of a true manufacturing complex was Ford's famous River Rouge plant, which produced almost everything a new vehicle needed, right there, on the complex. About the only exception was the rubber for the tires...and Ford once even owned rubber-plantations in the Amazon and Southeast Asia.
Agreed that the jobs are not anywhere near the 1970s type levels but output is in fact at 1940s levels.
Early or late 40s? Early-40s, of course, was World War II, and American factories and plants produced a staggering amount of steel and steel-related goods...most of it, of course, for military purposes and to help arm our allies.

Automation has replaced workers. A tariff on steel or European cars will not reverse this.
There's some truth to that today, but, don't forget, many of the old, shut-down American steel plants date back to before that era. If some of them are refurbished and put back into production, it may be cheaper to simply hire human steelworkers instead of spending additional millions or billions on new automation in the plants. Safety-precautions, though, will have to be taken for the workers...that can be a very difficult, hot, and sometimes dangerous job.
Old 03-04-18, 03:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One must be careful to differentiate between true manufacturing and simply putting a bunch of parts together, at a final-assembly-plant, that are initially produced or manufactured overseas. That's why, by law, you have parts-content stickers on new vehicles.

A good example of a true manufacturing complex was Ford's famous River Rouge plant, which produced almost everything a new vehicle needed, right there, on the complex. About the only exception was the rubber for the tires...and Ford once even owned rubber-plantations in the Amazon and Southeast Asia.

Early or late 40s? Early-40s, of course, was World War II, and American factories and plants produced a staggering amount of steel and steel-related goods...most of it, of course, for military purposes and to help arm our allies.

There's some truth to that today, but, don't forget, many of the old, shut-down American steel plants date back to before that era. If some of them are refurbished and put back into production, it may be cheaper to simply hire human steelworkers instead of spending additional millions or billions on new automation in the plants. Safety-precautions, though, will have to be taken for the workers...that can be a very difficult, hot, and sometimes dangerous job.

You are sounding like you are coming around to realize adding tariffs is a poor decision. Nothing to remember and nothing to not forget. Manufacturing is on a slow increase. Output is at 1940s numbers. Automation has replaced millions of manufacturing jobs in the US.

Toyota is absolutely correct, if Trump adds tariffs, prices will go up, this is terrible for US consumers. The Trump base is who is appealing to. Its all political to obtain support and votes.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-04-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I dont see how society benefits if BMW 3 series or Audi A6 have 2.5% tariff in the US while US cars have 10% tariffs in EU. End result is that almost nobody is exporting vehicles from the US while there is a huge trade imbalance due to imports from EU.

So hows that benefiting the society? It is not benefiting US society thats for sure.

You need to stop looking at it from being "against Trump" perspective.

If US had same tariffs as EU nothing would happen to the society. More BMWs made in the USA would be sold in this example. And US would have a way to negotiate with EU to cut all import tariffs between two "countries", thus enabling US to also export vehicles - for instance all those Lexi or BMW's or Teslas would be then cheaper to import and afford for us EU citizens.

Just like whats happening between EU and Japan. Both "countries" have high import taxes. Now they are negotiating to cut them completely on many goods.
Why is that happening? Because EU wants to be able to export cheese to Japan.

If Japan had no import duties on EU cheese, then EU would never be interested to cut 10% import tax for Japanese vehicles.

I am all for cutting all the import/export duties completely but a good government would work on that being reciprocal and not one sided.

Talk about automation makes no sense - Japan, Germany and China are working hard to keep their manufacturing bases. Why did US gave theirs away? So US billionaires can get richer by opening factories in China and selling their goods in the US? I am all with Bernie Sanders on this issue, forget about Trump. Trump doing it is just clouding the issue.
Old 03-04-18, 04:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Adding tariffs to European made cars is going to raise the price of all cars in the United States. This will end up causing less cars to be sold on the whole, what happens when less cars get sold? Less jobs.
How in the world would this happen. Just think about it.

Taxing a 5 series would cause US society to collapse because people who bought 5 series would not buy any other car, for instance BMW X5 or X3? Or many other foreign cars already produced in the US?

I see no relation how could possibly raising import duty to match EU's for vehicles produced in the EU, would cause increase of price for US produced vehicles from same manufacturers, let alone everyone else who is producing in the US.

What would happen instead, in this case in particular, either EU and US would have negotiated banishing of import duties or BMW would add production line for 5 series because it sells good enough for it to happen.

And again, even I as EU citizen would benefit since for instance Lexus could export RX and ES to the EU and make my purchase $5k-$10k cheaper, or for instance Tesla's would be up to $15k cheaper in many EU countries.Cadillac would have a fighting chance to sell decent number of vehicles in EU. MB and BMW could chose to export some of the cars that sell better in the US to the EU as well.

Audi would certainly setup manufacturing in the US too.
Old 03-04-18, 04:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
So hows that benefiting the society? It is not benefiting US society thats for sure.
It benefits society when you have no protectionism (tariffs or another word for it is tax). The cheaper a product is, the better it is for consumers. The more options you have, the better it is for consumers. Less options means higher prices. There is a downside to having free trade, that is some less efficient jobs will be eliminated. But, the positives of allowing Toyota, Honda, and German cars to enter the market at a low price forces domestic producers to become more efficient and more innovated. A trade deficit is a good for the US.

Protecting US steel jobs by adding tariffs puts a tax on imported steel, the incentive to move production outside of the US is now greater than ever.

I am not anti Trump. Far from it. This a bad move for the US economy is ever way. But it is a good move for Trumps base whom he is appealing to for votes.

Quick Reply: Toyota car prices to increase?